Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Why Do You Collect Coins?

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
1903 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2012  2:49 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add unholyroller to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Poll Question
I am sure something like this has been done before, but I ask this to get a better feel of the collecting world as a whole. Being on the forum heading towards a year now, I find a discrepancy in the mentality of coin collectors that I never saw in the collector industry I came from. Where I come from people understand that lack of availability is what drives value and makes the hobby a worthwhile investment. In coins I get the sense that people want their coins to increase in value, but at the same time, be easy to get whenever they want them. I am just having a hard time wrapping my brain around why the majority of you collect coins...so here is my poll.......

Why do you collect coins?

Poll Choices
  As a long term investment I hope to profit from someday
  As a short term investment I hope to profit from quickly
  I collect them with out any plan of them being more valuable in the future

Valued Member
United States
406 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2012  3:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ljenkins990 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
lack of availability is what drives value and makes the hobby a worthwhile investment.

I don't pretend to speak for anyone at all other than myself, but as far as I am concerned, lack of availability doesn't make the hobby worthwhile for me at all. What makes the hobby worthwhile for me is the sense of history that's embodied in the coins as well as the sheer simple fun of collecting. I will never sell my collection, therefore I will never make a profit off it.

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2357 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2012  3:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bacchus2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree - it's option 3 as I never plan to sell my collection - I hope my son will take it over and add to it. The only financial interest I have is convincing my wife that they aren't expensive to buy at all.... :)
Edited by Bacchus2
03/02/2012 3:49 pm
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2012  4:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tiggeray2000 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
#3 for me as well. It's kinda sad but I normally collect the coins that are shiny or call out to me :-) Most of my coins that are worth some money for being silver I'm keeping for sentimental value since I got them from my great grandma. I also enjoy thinking of who could of owned those coins in the past.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4757 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2012  4:14 pm  Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I buy silver bullion as a long-term investment I hope to profit from someday (or pass on to my son so he can profit).

I buy numismatic coins purely for the joy of owning them and hope I never have to sell them.

My Coin & Currency Collection
(Dansco 7070 and 8100 albums, Proof Type Set, U.S. Currency Type Set & Foreign Bullion Collection)
Pillar of the Community
United States
4040 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2012  4:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bpoc1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The only financial interest I have is convincing my wife that they aren't expensive to buy at all.... :)[

I'm sure a number of us are in the same boat.
Excuse me members of the female gender.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1299 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2012  4:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cc99999 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Considering most coins bought at retail have a 50% depreciation factor- you have a long way to go before you get your money back.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1204 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2012  4:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ricardocody to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Right place at right time , congrats !
Learn More...
United States
84101 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2012  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I collect them with out any plan of them being more valuable in the future
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
7096 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2012  5:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't vote because you didn't add the choice
4. Just for the sheer fun of it
Pillar of the Community
United States
1343 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2012  6:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ArrowsAndRays to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
4. It's challenging and very interesting.
5. History!
Secret Santa!
Upgrading my 7070 never ends!
Pillar of the Community
527 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2012  8:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheDanMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I voted for the first option, but only because I am not a person who believes in get rich quick schemes. I honestly have not decided if I will even sell my collection.
Learn More...
United States
16356 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2012  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First choice for a few but mainly because I really enjoy this hobby and the history each coin breathes :)
ANA LM1214396
U.S. Colonial and Large Cent fanatic.
Valued Member
United States
284 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2012  11:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DM1975 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Barryg I think said it as close to my beliefs as can be. Bullion for investment and coins merely for collecting
Pillar of the Community
United States
1195 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2012  12:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add argentum to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've got 2 ASE's for the fun of their bullion value, the other one and the rest of the purchases and the circulated I have just for the fun of owning them
Valued Member
United States
385 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2012  12:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silverdollar2011 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I only care about finding silver coin and collecting silver bullion, my current finances do not allow me buy numismatics lol, whatever I find thats good goes on eBay which would help accumulate some silver for me.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.02 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05