Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Castulo, Spain

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community

United States
1284 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  10:45 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Doucet to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I like this coin and found this one for a good price so I picked it up. Castulo, Spain....Male Head right / Helmeted Sphinx. It's now one of my favorites.

I'm not sure if this is a provincial coin or not. Some say it might be Augustus on the obverse and he is said to have taken the Sphinx as his Seal.

I can't find out much about it yet. The only site that I found so far that says anything about it is from Doug Smith.

http://dougsmith.ancients.info/feac35cas.html

Please let me know if you know where there is more info on this type.

Thank you much.
Formerly jwharper
4253 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  10:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, but I don't know anything about this coin. However, I wanted to tell you this is a very nice and interesting coin
Bedrock of the Community
10045 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  10:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is your coin also around 28mm? Yours is very nice, and impressive at that size--I wish it were in my collection.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1284 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  11:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Doucet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yea, I forgot to mention it's 28mm and 13.3 grams. It is pretty big.
Learn More...
United States
22890 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  1:26 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice coin don't see many of these around.
Pillar of the Community
Serbia (Srbija)
500 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  1:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mvojnovic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice
Pillar of the Community
United States
1284 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  4:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Doucet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the comments guys.

I've been working on the mint mark letters. They are written in Iberian script.

It seems as though they read KSTLO, though on this coin the symbol for the O is off the flan.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:U..._2004%29.jpg
Valued Member
Spain
96 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2015  10:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Veton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi. Very nice coin but must be the young brother of mine (43.4 grs/ 37mm)

It had (and has) problems with bronze disease, light spots of cuprite and a long scratch but it is the biggest coin I have.

According M.P. García-Bellido and C. Blazquez (Diccionario de Cecas y Pueblos Hispánicos, 2001) we can date about 195-179 BC this one.

Yours (Doucet) about 165-80 BC (They say that this serie is long and can be divided into 5 groups, your coin is from first issues so better 165-145 than 100-80).

Leyend is in iberian script, this language is semi-syllabic (sign alphabetic and other sillabics) so if we use that table http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:U..._2004%29.jpg for G/K, B and D/T we must cross with vocals. Then we must read: KA , KE ... and read: KA S TI L O

I hope to be able to explain (sorry for my limit english)
Pillar of the Community
3772 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2015  10:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Medieval to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to this corner of CCF 'Veton' and I am sure your knowledge of early Iberian coinage will be helpful. Since your link doesn't work in the form you gave it, here is the (hopefully right) table:

Pillar of the Community
United States
4803 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2015  10:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A search on "Castulo" at CoinProject.com brings up several similar types as you scan down the results page.

And, if the link works, here's one over at CNG:
http://cNGCoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=59663
Edited by Bob L
01/28/2015 10:37 am
Valued Member
Spain
96 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2015  11:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Veton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thaks for your welcome. This table corresponds to southeast iberian alfhabet. I have put a small line on M as in these coins.
Also sign for KO (present in some coins of this mint)

So I think is easy to see semi-syllabic script.

Edited by Veton
01/28/2015 11:16 am
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3626 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2015  12:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pishpash to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wildwinds has it down as Augustus also.
http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/sg/sg0015.html
Nice coin.
Valued Member
Spain
96 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2015  2:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Veton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi. About Augustus:

Most experts agree that after the sertorian war (Sertorio died 72 BC) most iberian mints began to use latin or bilingual iberian-latin leyends and circa 45 BC with Caesar, they use -only- latin alphabet, so it is unlikely attribute to Augustus this type of coins (he was emperor from 27 BC to 14 DC). Also for historical or archaelogical references and metrology these coins seems to be earlier than Augustus time.

Although are only opinions
Learn More...
United States
22890 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2015  2:07 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting, this is an area that is not covered very much on this forum but I would like to learn more about.
Pillar of the Community
3772 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2015  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Medieval to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would like to learn more about.

Then you should enjoy this pdf: http://www.museuprehistoriavalencia..._Coinage.pdf
Pillar of the Community
United States
4732 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2015  8:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chrsmat71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
that's an awesome pdf med, thanks.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05