Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post your new currency acquisitions!

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 259
Valued Member
United States
212 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2013  12:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jim61 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi yogurt,

What grade is it?

It is quite off center which was common for these notes. But not enough to really call it an error note IMHO. Yet it does take away from the higher grades of CU.

It is not rare or special as far as I can see.

You can look at eBay for similar values.

Definitely a keeper, I have some like that myself.

Jim
Valued Member
United States
207 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2013  12:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Woodford to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Yogurt I remember buying some 1934 $5 SCs like yours months back and they usually go for $35-45 on eBay in the grade you have it in (EF, About UNC maybe)
Valued Member
United States
84 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2013  11:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yogurt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am not sure on grade but it has no folds or creases. Color looks like it was just printed and no stains. I am guessing highest grade possible. I purchased it from a local coin and jewelry store for $20 it is funny because that place has everything way over priced on coins and supplies. None of the workers know what they are looking at I even asked the guy why it had a blue seal he did not know the answer. I did a quick search on eBay for completed sales for that bill and all were over $25 so thought it was a good buy. P.S. I fixed the pictures of the bill.
Valued Member
United States
207 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2013  01:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Woodford to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yogurt, I am surprised the people who work at your local coin store would not recognize the note. The $5 1934 Silver certificate is one of the more common SCs out there by far.
All small-size note Silver certificates had blue seals and serial numbers as to distinguish them from Federal Reserve Notes, National Notes, Legal Tender Notes, and Gold Certificates.
It was alot easier to carry Silver certificates than a whole bunch of silver coins and they could easily be redeemed for silver at the bank during the time it was printed.

And yes $20 for that note is quite a steal. They usually go for twice that amount, So if your local coin store has more currency might be a good idea to snatch a few more bills up.
You can tell us what note they have and the asking price and we'll tell you if it is a good buy or not.
Valued Member
United States
84 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2013  07:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yogurt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am going to go back and look for more good deals. I am guessing the owner priced everything years ago and no one has updated prices on the currency. The employees are just selling it for what ever price is marked.
Valued Member
United States
84 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2013  09:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yogurt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
New ones from yesterday.

Edited by yogurt
02/02/2013 09:35 am
Valued Member
United States
247 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2013  1:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jimjumper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Picked this up for $350 and 2 hours work evaluating a collection. My first large size note!

Pillar of the Community
United States
2523 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2013  2:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add WheatBack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, Jim. What a great addition to your collection!
Valued Member
United States
212 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2013  6:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jim61 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice large gold note. Enjoy it!
Valued Member
United States
207 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2013  10:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Woodford to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sweet gold certificate. Those are beautiful~~
congrats on your first large size.
Valued Member
United States
207 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2013  5:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Woodford to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Was looking through my $2 red seals album and I only had 1928G and D notes, So courtesy of Heritage I picked these up:

The $1 1957 star SC was missing from my album as I never bothered after collecting tons of 1935 $1 SCs from multiple series.

My 1st Plain 1935 $1 (has a low serial number too!)
Valued Member
United States
247 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2013  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jimjumper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Had my gold note evaluated by Vern Potter at the Long Beach show today. He said it would grade VF+ so I did pretty good for $350.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1500 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2013  01:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinstar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
awesome Jim
Pillar of the Community
United States
3559 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2013  12:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joe2007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Picked this up at the local coin shop!

Valued Member
United States
247 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2013  09:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jimjumper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was going to post in the other forum about your note but didn't have the time. Your note is listed as a T-63 in Cuhajs' book "Confederate States Paper Money". There is also a T-72 note that is the same except for the date. The portrait is Jefferson Davis and the portrait was also used on the Confederate 10c stamp. The 50c notes were the only Confederate notes to have printed signatures. The original thinking was that hand-signing notes would work as a counterfeit deterrent but since it required so many signatures it ended up as just confusing as to who could or should be signing notes. You can find these notes for about $50 in uncirculated fairly easily. There were 1,831,517 T-63's printed.
Page: of 259  Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.99 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05