Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post your new currency acquisitions!

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 237
Pillar of the Community
United States
3551 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2013  2:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joe2007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info Jim.
Learn More...
United States
13273 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2013  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I went to the local coin show, and bought a few notes. I already had the $1, but completed my set of Hawaiian Notes.

<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating Two Dollar Bills
Valued Member
United States
207 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2013  9:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Woodford to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very satisfying to complete a set of notes. Grats fuzzy!
Learn More...
United States
13273 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2013  10:46 pm  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks. They had been on my "want list" for a while.

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating Two Dollar Bills
Valued Member
United States
207 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2013  12:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Woodford to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a Hawaii set myself I got awhile back in XF condition or so. I could however only dream of collecting Hawaii star notes as they are 7 or 8 times more expensive.
Which makes me curious, what is on everyone's want list(in terms of paper money US) anyway?

The notes I am really looking for is :
$100 FRN 1934 Chicago Star note (LGS)
$50 FRN 1928 Chicago Numerical Star note
$50 1928 Gold Certificate (XF or above)
$100 1928 Gold Certificate (VF or XF)

Learn More...
United States
13273 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2013  01:20 am  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Additional notes I will watch for: State of Georgia notes and Gold Certificates.
I saw some of each at the coin show where I got the Hawaii notes.
And those were found after finishing my Morgan dollar set.

Valued Member
United States
198 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2013  2:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ragpicker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just picked up a Kansas National from the First National Bank of Burr Oak, Kansas in Very Fine....
Valued Member
United States
207 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2013  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Woodford to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fuzzy,

I don't know if you use Heritage or not, But if not, You might wanna check them out. They got a major auction going on in April and Heritage always has a very nice selection of notes ( all kinds). They usually give you a decent price (similar or less to that of eBay auctions) even with the premium and shipping costs.
Learn More...
United States
13273 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2013  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't used Heritage before, but I will take a look. Thanks.

Edited by Fuzzy317
02/11/2013 7:48 pm
United States
42 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2013  12:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jdionne to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a quick question that I'm confused about. I have some star notes that I am looking up on mycurrencycollection.com and I read on the site that the star notes with the smaller run sizes are considered to be more rare and valuable. I believe it said run sizes of 640,000 or less were considered rare. My question is: can you simply tell the run size by the serial number or can it be random. For example, does a star notes serial number have to be under 00640000* to have a run size of under 640,000, or can it still be a low run size even if the serial number were to be something such as 12345678*. Thankyou. I hope my question is clear enough to understand.
Valued Member
United States
207 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2013  3:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Woodford to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe it is the former rather than the latter. I am however far from being an expert.
I think when the BEP creates a replacement note due to an error the first error of the series starts at 00000001*
Valued Member
United States
207 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2013  12:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Woodford to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Finally caught this elusive unicorn:

Not an easy star note to acquire but finally part of my collection.
Valued Member
United States
212 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2013  4:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jim61 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jdionne,

Basically you can have a short RUN of star notes with many higher serials. I will try to explain.

If the short RUN was the first RUN for that Districts star notes, than the serials will be low. But now let's look at what happens when the short RUN is the third RUN for that Districts star notes. RUN 1 would be normal 3,200,000 notes, so serials = 00000001 through 03200000. Followed by a full second RUN, so serials = 03200001 through 06400000. Now the third RUN is a short RUN of 640000, so serials = 06400001 through 07040000 instead of ending with 09600000.

Also, you can have double RUNs as well (06400000) and they can happen anywhere just like short RUNs.

Hopefully I explained it OK.

ps. This applies to the more recent series that printed full star RUNs of 03200000 notes.
Edited by jim61
03/08/2013 4:18 pm
Valued Member
United States
212 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2013  4:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jim61 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Woodford, now that is a real nice 34 star note you have there. I know how you feel because I remember how I felt when I got mine. Super pickup, enjoy it! Oh and thanks for sharing.
Pillar of the Community
United States
830 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2013  11:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverRoosevelt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I purchased these from a co-worker of mine for $200 (I made the offer and she accepted). Her father's estate was cleared out and she brought in some coins and these two bills. She told me she knew I liked old currency and wanted to see the bills find a good home. I wasn't really interested in the coins she bought in (a bunch of junk silver, bent Indian Head cents, a hole-punched silver 3¢, and a very worn 2¢ piece) but I didn't have any Nationals in my paper collection until today.

Edited by SilverRoosevelt
03/08/2013 11:08 pm
Page: of 237 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05