Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post your new currency acquisitions!

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 239
Pillar of the Community
United States
1435 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2018  11:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice additions Series1976.

I'm confident your current collection habits will change over time and experience. I will caution you about buying problem notes (stains, well worn, harshly folded) on popular and easily obtainable notes. These notes are affordable for a reason. Personally and respectfully, I prefer quality over quantity, but collect what you like.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28343 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2018  11:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fully agree. Most collectors tend toward better quality as their experience grows.
Learn More...
United States
60475 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8707 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2018  8:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not to split hairs, Series1976, but the Hawaii notes are Silver Certificates, not FRNs. And I agee with Steve and Frog... if you can swing it, put money away for quality notes.

Whatever you do... have fun and collect what makes you happy.
United States
35 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2018  9:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Series1976 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 5, 10 and 20 Hawaii notes are Federal Reserve Notes out of the San Francisco Federal Reserve.
Edited by Series1976
06/10/2018 9:10 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8707 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2018  10:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Right you are. For some reason I thought you were talking about $1 notes. My bad, please drive through....
Pillar of the Community
United States
2503 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2018  6:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add WheatBack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VERY scarce Virginia obsolete.. Fincastle, Virginia.

From Heritage:

A scarce and attractive type. Printed as a single-note sheet by the American Bank Note Company. At top center is the dramatic, classic engraving by Alfred Jones, Horses Frightened by Lightning (adapted from the art by equine painter Alfred de Dreaux). Black and white horses, startled by a visible bolt, run away from the stream as cows stand placidly by in the water. Oval "100" dies are in the upper corners and a "C" die is at the lower left. The Virginia registered seal is at the lower right. The type is only found unissued; no signed notes have been observed.

Learn More...
United States
60475 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8707 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2018  11:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like it. You can see the trees st the left of the vignette bending in the storm winds, and the horses do look quite agitated. It's not difficult to conjure up with the mind's eye a turbulent green sky on that sepia backdrop.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1100 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  10:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shotgung to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Picked these up last night. Got a killer deal on most of them.

Heading to Kilimanjaro June 30th, the first of my 7 Summit attempt
Learn More...
United States
60475 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  4:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Picked these up last night. Got a killer deal on most of them.
Nice acquisitions!
United States
35 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2018  02:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Series1976 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I appreciate all your feedback regarding my collection. I'm guessing my Hawaii 20 was probably the focal point. I wish I could buy better grade notes but can't at current time. I did buy a obsolete banknote in honor of my coming move next year though. It'll be posted when it arrives next week. :)
Edited by Series1976
06/23/2018 03:12 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28343 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2018  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably the best approach is to save up to buy a really nice example of a single note rather than buy 4 lower grade notes that you'll want to upgrade someday.
Pillar of the Community
United States
960 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2018  10:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bryan78 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got this Silver Certificate and Wheat penny at CVS last night.

The sad thing is the girl behind the register told me she only gets silver certificates when people come in to buy alcohol. It means they've probably spent everything they had and had to resort to spending them to fix their drinking habit.

Learn More...
United States
60475 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2018  2:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Got this Silver Certificate and Wheat penny at CVS last night.
Nice finds!

Quote:
The sad thing is the girl behind the register told me she only gets silver certificates when people come in to buy alcohol. It means they've probably spent everything they had and had to resort to spending them to fix their drinking habit.
Page: of 239 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05