Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your New Currency Acquisitions!

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 327
Pillar of the Community
648 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2019  12:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ckrakowski to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey westernsky where is the hole in the Phelps signature? The thing on the bottom looks like a stain not a hole.
Pillar of the Community
United States
662 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2019  10:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CitationSquirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I picked up a "Grumpy" 5th Issue Fractional.

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2444 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2019  11:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DavidUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice fractional CS

I just completed the second series as I acquired a decent condition 50c and a passable 25c. I am only missing two notes to complete a type set of all fractional notes (I need a 50c Lincoln and 50c Justice)

Now it seems I don't have so much experience with the different varieties of notes. I often find myself looking in the catalogue trying to decipher whether my not is one variety or another.

This 50c is no different there are many listings which seem to be based on the back. the first says no figures around the edge (one know example is specimen) yet mine seems to not have the 63 and 18 as I have seen it on my other notes.

Any clue which catalogue number I have?

Edited by DavidUK
11/19/2019 11:19 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42884 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2019  11:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice-looking set for sure.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4735 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2019  11:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Hey westernsky where is the hole in the Phelps signature? The thing on the bottom looks like a stain not a hole.

After further review it does appear to be some sort of heavy staining. Don't know if it can be mitigated without impacting the signature. Best plan of action is to leave it alone and do not bend the paper. I'd suspect that the darkly stained area is corroded and very weak and could separate at any time.

With this note condition means diddly squat. It is very rare and true collectors will take them anyway they find them!
Pillar of the Community
United States
662 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2019  11:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CitationSquirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi David. Looks like you got a great looking set going. I also am fairly new to fractional currency (so take what I say with a grain of salt). I compared the pic of your 50 cent note to samples for sale on Ebay. Your looking for second issues with FR numbers 1316, 1317, 1318, 1320, 1321, and 1322. Now you say that your note doesn't have "63" or "18". But I would beg to differ. Your note has those three black smudges in the upper and lower left corners and the lower right corner. The smudges in the bottom corners are your "18" (left) and "63" right. As there is nothing in the upper right corner, that would rule out 1320, 1321, and 3122. Also since there is something in the upper left, that would rule out 1316. That leaves you with a 1317 - "A" or a 1318 - "1". Given the shape of the smudge in the upper left, I would lean more toward that being an "A" rather than a "1". So, if I had to give an option, I would say you have an FR 1317. Like I said, I'm fairly new to fractionals, so if anyone wants to point out any errors I've made, I'd be more than happy to hear them.
Learn More...
United States
79417 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2444 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2019  12:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DavidUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great info there Citation Squirrel. The numbers are certainly more legible on my other notes... I don't quite see what you are saying but will trust your judgement. The main thing is there's no hole now.

For me a type collection is just a collection of each denomination with each major type... I am not going to collect every catalagued variety just the notable types (different seal colours for instance)

English notes are my specialty... For those it's every signature snd change of wording etc. I find buying American notes very challenging this side of the pond.

Just saw the invoice says FR1316.
Edited by DavidUK
11/19/2019 12:56 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
662 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2019  3:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CitationSquirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah you can really go crazy on all the different varieties sometimes.

I'm not seeing the 1316. But, then again, I could be wrong.
Valued Member
United States
261 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2019  9:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jimjumper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with CitationSquirrel. The two smudges in the bottom are almost definitely an "18'and a "63". The smudge at the top left would be an "A". If it were a 1318 the 1 would be at the upper right. This is my 1317 on top, and my 1318 on the bottom. The 1318 has pretty light surcharges but still visible.

Pillar of the Community
United States
818 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2019  11:54 pm  Show Profile   Check CalzoneManiac's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CalzoneManiac to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Got this one last week.
Pillar of the Community
United States
662 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2019  08:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CitationSquirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sweet Jefferson Calzone!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42884 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2019  08:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice LT deuce.
Pillar of the Community
United States
818 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2019  1:55 pm  Show Profile   Check CalzoneManiac's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CalzoneManiac to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you.
The 1963A $2 is in pretty nice shape considering it was printed almost 55 years ago. I'd say XF-AU (I don't think it's crisp enough for uncirculated, though). It's in better shape than the 1953C $2 I own, despite being printed around the same time.

1963A is by far the smallest $2 red seal series (not counting the 1928 series bills). Just 3.2 million regular and 640K stars were printed. In contrast, the regular 1963 series had 15.3 million regulars, and 1953 had over 45 million regulars
Edited by CalzoneManiac
11/23/2019 1:57 pm
Learn More...
United States
79417 Posts
Page: of 327 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05