Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your New Currency Acquisitions!

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5,097 / Views: 352,710Next Topic
Page: of 340
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
49668 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good explanation, Steve.

Nice $20 star, cashhound - how about a pic of the reverse?
Valued Member
United States
158 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  8:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I still need the $20 note. I like yours!

My 1914 $20 is a bit of a problem note. I got it because I wanted a San Francisco note, which are less common and I didn't have any other large size SF notes. Like anything else in this hobby, there's a trade-off. Either pay more, or settle for less.
Valued Member
United States
158 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  8:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@SteveInTampa

Quote:
Good question. It's a replacement (Star) note. Typically, less than .5% of all notes printed are replacement notes. They are used to replace defective and/or damaged notes. This particular note is the Key Note for the series and typically distributed in pairs, which makes them difficult to find especially in uncirculated condition...unlike some replacement notes that are distributed in packs of 100. A print run of 160K is very low compared to the billions of 2017 $20 FRNs printed and distributed.

From my first penny album in the 70s to today, when I'm mostly collecting banknotes, I've never once bothered to procure a star note or even pull one out of circulation. Your posts have convinced me, and today I pulled this lovely note out of my wallet and put it in a sleeve in my album. Yup. Only 3.2 million of these babies and it's all mine.

I can't see myself going out and buying these, but I will be pulling them out of circulation from now on when I see an AU note. It would be cool to replace some of the modern face-value notes in my album with star notes if I come across them.

Not sure if I should thank you or curse you for adding yet another thing to my list of stuff to collect.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2167 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  8:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All the notes I get in change and from the bank, I usually do check them for star notes and weird serial numbers and then I think to myself... "I'm not going to collect these" and I spend them. I just don't see it, but like many times stated, people will collect anything. I will state if I get a serial number lower than 12 I am keeping that one

But I'm the same way with coins, modern coins just don't do it for me. I do have a current $1, $5, $10 and $20 but thats just so that I have a type set of each note.
Pillar of the Community
United States
625 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cashhound to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Nice $20 star, cashhound - how about a pic of the reverse?

Here ya go Coinfrog ...

Edited by cashhound
07/01/2020 9:33 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1569 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  9:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add southsav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice looking notes!
Learn More...
United States
88915 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
49668 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  10:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Talk about boardwalk margins!
Canada
46 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  10:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add whatdowehavehere to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice New Pair CT 6-19-1776 Colonial Notes!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
49668 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  10:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful examples for sure!
Valued Member
United States
51 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  11:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MvleMO55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great colonials!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
635 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  11:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mtuma3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice and not cancelled either... and very close to consecutive too!
Mark
ANA Member
Official Snowbird! Illinois in Summer, Somewhere warm in Winter
My7070
Canada
46 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  3:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add whatdowehavehere to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Plus: they are not Registered!
Valued Member
United States
158 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2020  01:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@whatdowehavehere What do you look for to authenticate these? I like the idea of having something like this in my collection, but seems like a non-expert could get tricked by a fake pretty easily.
Canada
46 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2020  10:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add whatdowehavehere to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
captaincoffee: sold my first coin for a profit in 1972; was a Founder of C4, etc. I've been around the block a few times... these may be traced back to Lt. Griswald (great Estate!). You can see one a bit later in the serial-number scheme at Heritage 7-15-2005/38073: 33027 graded 65. These are the only three notes of this issue in Mint State, Uncanceled and Unregistered!
Edited by whatdowehavehere
07/05/2020 12:18 pm
Page: of 340 Previous TopicReplies: 5,097 / Views: 352,710Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 10.2 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05