Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your New Currency Acquisitions!

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5,201 / Views: 376,493Next Topic
Page: of 347
Pillar of the Community
United States
1058 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  09:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Heavily used circulated notes (some knucklehead used tape to repair them a very long time ago)

1891 Silver Certificate Note

1899 Silver Certificate Note

Collecting since 1972. Learning from then on
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
My Dansco 7070 type set coin count: 31/76
My Dansco 8176 Eisenhower set coin count: 36/36
Learn More...
United States
98038 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  11:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
These are practice MPC notes that Disbursing Officers and clerks would have used to practice working and paying out MPC notes in the field. They could use these without having to account for them if any mistakes were made while training. They appear to be printed around 1964 and if you look closely at the "obligation" section it says they are for use in "accordance with the rules of Monopoly"!
Very interesting!

Quote:
Heavily used circulated notes (some knucklehead used tape to repair them a very long time ago)
Nice adds!
Valued Member
United States
329 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  10:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Glad to see folks posting here again.
Maybe not traditional numismatics, but the pseudo military money is interesting. I guess in '64, they actually had to practice handing out money properly. I retired from active duty a little over 2 years ago, so I always enjoy stuff like this. I remember the first pair of boots I was issued had an Army pamphlet (instructions) attached explaining how they were to be used.
The Martha and black eagle notes are such classics, you gotta love 'em...but they are pretty rough indeed.
Valued Member
United States
329 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2021  11:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't been able to find/purchase any of the banknotes I'm really looking for (large size and fractional) in the last couple months. Everything seems to be going for quite a bit over what I'm expecting lately...and I'm a real cheapskate at heart.
I never collected obsolete currency before, but had the opportunity to buy some notes at (what I think are) very reasonable prices, so I'm dipping my toes. It has been interesting researching an learning about these notes. Here's the first one.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3283 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2021  3:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice al capitan de cafe! I rather like Obsolete, I only have a few. Have you picked up any colonial currency?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3104 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2021  3:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Egg Harbor notes are available with a green or red overprint. Nice example Captain.
Learn More...
United States
98038 Posts
Valued Member
United States
329 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2021  1:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Have you picked up any colonial currency?

I have looked at a few on HA, but have not bitten. I have so little experience with colonial notes in-hand, that I would not be comfortable buying a raw note. The certified notes at auction recently have all gone for more than I'm willing to pay at the moment.

Quote:
The Egg Harbor notes are available with a green or red overprint.

I actually attempted to purchase the red overprint at the same time as this note, but failed. Since then, I also attempted to buy a matching $1 and $2 green overprint note, but failed there as well.

Here is another New Jersey note one if anybody is interested.

Learn More...
United States
98038 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2021  4:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here is another New Jersey note one if anybody is interested.
Excellent!
Valued Member
United States
329 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2021  1:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not much love for Jersey? How about Texas? This is certainly the most desirable of my limited obsolete note collection. The thin paper makes these very difficult to scan, so I have to go with a photo. 1839, cut cancelled.

Learn More...
United States
98038 Posts
Page: of 347 Previous TopicReplies: 5,201 / Views: 376,493Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.4 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05