Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your New Currency Acquisitions!

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5,369 / Views: 419,923Next Topic
Page: of 358
Valued Member
Netherlands
121 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  09:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lighthouse250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just received this obsolete note. It's printed on the back of something that looks like interest coupons for a bond of some sort. I Already have a few notes from this railroad company that were printed on the back of Bank of Port Gibson notes, but this seems different. Maybe somebody knows more?

Pillar of the Community
United States
4332 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  09:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dsfreeworld to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wanted to get some graded examples for the collection and found a seller who took my best offer a really nice discount for my buying both bills.

Learn More...
United States
112116 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  10:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just received this obsolete note. It's printed on the back of something that looks like interest coupons for a bond of some sort.
Very nice!

Quote:
I wanted to get some graded examples for the collection and found a seller who took my best offer a really nice discount for my buying both bills.
Outstanding!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
706 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  6:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are two new acquisitions for my quickly-growing U.S. currency collection. I don't know about you, but even though I'm almost 63 years old, when I know a new acquisition is arriving in the mail I'm just as excited waiting for the mail truck as I was 50 years ago when I expected a purchase to show up!

The first is now my lowest Friedberg-numbered note, an 1862 $1 Legal Tender note. Like so many of the large size notes, I find this one very attractive, especially considering the grade.

The other is a 1929 series $100 Type 1 National Bank Note. My only concern on this one was the darkness in the fields on the obverse (I assume some ink bleed-through?), but I find it still pleasing for the grade. For the small size NBN, I'm down to 2 remaining for my type set; the Type 2 $50 and $100.

Edited by hokiefan_82
01/18/2022 6:25 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67613 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  6:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Super notes, both!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
706 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  6:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It's printed on the back of something that looks like interest coupons for a bond of some sort.

@Lighthouse250, I've never seen anything like that before, though I'll admit my experience with obsolete notes is fairly limited. If you don't receive any information under this "new acquisitions" topic, maybe have it moved to the main US paper money forum, or start a new topic there.
Edited by hokiefan_82
01/18/2022 6:34 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3643 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I've never seen anything like that before

Just before, during and after the Civil War, many items were in very short supply. Coinage was scarce so the states and the federal government printed fractional currency to temporarily supplement the coin supply. Paper was also in short supply, so printers sometimes used the blank side of unissued obsolete notes to print new notes. It wasn't common but it also wasn't unusual. Here's a Florida Fractional printed on the back of an obsolete Florida bond. (not my note)

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
706 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  7:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting, Steve, thanks for the information!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67613 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  7:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Stever.
Learn More...
United States
112116 Posts
Valued Member
Netherlands
121 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2022  06:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lighthouse250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm searching for some more similar notes and more information about it. Holy grail in this regard would be to find a pair of two notes:

One issued by party X and printed on the back of party Y remainders
The other one issued by party Y and printed on the back of party X remainders LOL

I have no idea whether such pairs would exist, but it would be very interesting to find one (and a nice challenge for those looking for one).
Valued Member
Netherlands
121 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2022  10:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lighthouse250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another one from the NO J & GN RRC just arrived

Learn More...
United States
112116 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2022  12:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Another one from the NO J & GN RRC just arrived
Excellent!
United States
31 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2022  11:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add C_A_Green to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Couple new to me large size notes I picked up.

Learn More...
United States
112116 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2022  12:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Couple new to me large size notes I picked up.
Fantastic!
Page: of 358 Previous TopicReplies: 5,369 / Views: 419,923Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: