Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1878 8TF Bidding War

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
2787 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  12:55 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SeatedNut to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I won't post a link to the auction or pictures until a few days pass and the coin is sure to be in the mail.

The story: I bid about six days ago on a raw XF/AU 1878 8TF, VAM 14.14. I was the first bidder and I expected subsequent bids because the photos clearly showed a 14.14. Around 24 hours before the auction closed it was around $200. I was planning a last second snipe of around $300 but my computer crashed when Microsoft pushed a Windows 7 patch on Tuesday night. When I got it restored, the auction was done and the final hammer was just shy of $1350.

Just curious if any Vammers here were a part of that bidding? Personal opinion is that's a bit high for a raw 14.14 that may or may not grade. I do hope that no bidders believed it was the much rarer VAM 14.19 (similar key diagnostic).
Learn More...
United States
23520 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  1:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With only a couple known in Mint State, and this one's rep as maybe the "gateway" coin to the real 8TF rarities, it's difficult to assign a value. Perhaps $1350 is a bit high, but it's a number which the market will inevitably catch up to.
Learn More...
United States
14454 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  3:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know last years VAMView lists that in AU condition as being worth $3,500.00 and the 14.19 is $9,500.00 in AU. I know the VV is always seems to be a little high but if it was in at least AU condition it may have been worth that price it sold for. Even though I always like to list what VAM a particular coin is when I am selling it, I have noticed that if you do not list it you get more bids because the buyer thinks they are cherry picking the coin. Or at least that is the only thing I can contribute the difference to as I have tried it both ways
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1460 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2012  5:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twohawks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I saw that sale but did not bid on it. It is and was a Vam-14.14 If the coin is gradable someone got a bargain. Not a Steal! but it's still a bargain.
Edited by twohawks
03/16/2012 5:54 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2787 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2012  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SeatedNut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well,sufficient time has passed. Here's an historical look at a VAM feeding frenzy.

Here are the pics ... an unattributed 1878 8TF VAM 14.14

The Obverse

The Reverse (A1c)

The PUP of all PUPs

The auction link ... http://www.ebay.com/itm/40028210255....m1423.l2649
Learn More...
United States
14454 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2012  7:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
it doesn't look like it would have a chance at MS-60 or above but I don't really see anything in the pictures that would cause it to not grade either. It looks like it has allot of light on the coin so I am guessing it may look pretty good in hand but the light isn't making it look circulated when its UNC. It would have been a great cherrypick for the price you bid though
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05