Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your Coins With Horses

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 851 / Views: 64,401Next Topic
Page: of 57
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6533 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2021  08:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My favorite "coin with a horse" within the modern US commemorative series is, without a doubt, the first coin of the series - the 1982 George Washington 250th Birth Anniversary half dollar. To my eyes, the execution of its design is top shelf!

1982 George Washington Half Dollar

The coin presents noted equestrian George Washington on its obverse and a depiction of his Mount Vernon home on its reverse. The coin was designed/modeled by US Mint Chief Sculptor-Engraver Elizabeth Jones, an outstanding artist and the creator of several noteworthy designs within the modern US commemorative series (IMO, her design of Nike, the goddess of Victory, for the obverse of the 1988 Olympic Games gold quarter eagle is of particular note).

Washington Receiving a Salute on the Field of Trenton

(Image Credit: Image courtesy of Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs division. http://www.loc.gov Public Domain.)

XYZ View of Washington's Mount Vernon Home

(Image Credit: Image courtesy of Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs division. http://www.loc.gov Public Domain.)

The two Library of Congress images I've presented above appear to be plausible reference sources for Jones' designs.

The Washington half dollar was highly anticipated by collectors, and went on to sell millions of both its proof and uncirculated versions. The piece is often used as a "gateway coin" to encourage new collectors to consider US commemorative coins as a collecting pursuit due to its ready market availability and reasonable price point.

For many years - until the run up of silver over the past year or so - George Washington silver half dollars were often available for noticeably less than $10 - often for around $5.00. They were a great giveaway item for coin clubs to use to promote the hobby!

I visited Mount Vernon in my youth, but would like to go back as an adult with a better context for the experience.

For more of my posts about commemorative coins and medals, check out: Read More: Commems Collection.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Learn More...
United States
104701 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2021  10:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fantastic!

The uncirculated and proof pair occupy two of the four commemorative half dollar spots in my 7070.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
9293 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2021  04:27 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1996 50 Leke from Albania:
Learn More...
United States
104701 Posts
Valued Member
United States
363 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  12:43 pm  Show Profile   Check daltonista's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Probably not the first of these to be posted in this thread...

My Wellington "Cossack Penny," a Spink-UK auction pickup from a while back that's TPG'd at MS-63 with lots of gloss and lustre in hand. Undated, but thoroughly documented as an 1813 mintage. Although struck and issued in Britain, this token evidently circulated much more widely in Canada.

Just a snippet of numismatic history: W.J. Davis, in his foundational catalog of the 19th-Century British tokens, wrote of the Cossack Penny, "This token is one of Halliday's finest productions, and is scarce, in consequence of its popularity with the American token collectors."

Withers 1505; Davis 92 (Yorkshire); Breton 985, Charlton WE-13A.

I never pay too much for my tokens...but every now and then I may buy one a little too soon.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5046 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  1:34 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice token daltonista.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...IC_ID=303507
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
18291 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  4:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Wellington "Cossack Penny,"

Very nice!
Valued Member
United States
363 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2021  10:54 am  Show Profile   Check daltonista's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Thank you, chafemasterj and Dorado!
I never pay too much for my tokens...but every now and then I may buy one a little too soon.

Learn More...
United States
104701 Posts
Valued Member
United States
363 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2021  7:00 pm  Show Profile   Check daltonista's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

This 1813 one-penny token was issued by or for the Halesowen Workhouse in Shropshire. Listed in Davis as Shropshire 3, it is now identified as Withers 748.

Under the patriotic legend "God Save the King," this mounted dragoon (cavalryman) in full charge is a representation of the Royal Worcestershire Yeomanry, who were first raised in 1794 and served horsed in the Second Boer War and World War I before being converted to an anti-tank regiment of the Royal Artillery for duty in World War II.

Learn More...
United States
104701 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2021  10:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This 1813 one-penny token was issued by or for the Halesowen Workhouse in Shropshire. Listed in Davis as Shropshire 3, it is now identified as Withers 748.
Nice example!
Page: of 57 Previous TopicReplies: 851 / Views: 64,401Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05