Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ended - Project $100k- Circulating Dollar And Half Dollar Coins

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 317
Valued Member
United States
410 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2012  10:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JSH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I was getting a box of nickels per week I also picked up a roll of dollars to spend. Some cashiers didn't even seem to notice, others flipped out because they had never seen one.
Pillar of the Community
United States
851 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2012  10:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverRoosevelt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ninamason: Personally, even though I take note of the amount of coins I obtain, I don't deduct from the total unless I spend them or exchange them with someone else, so I'd use $99,702. Also, the Sacagawea with the two hands on the reverse, exchanging a peace pipe, is from 2011; 2008 was the final year of the original eagle reverse.

I picked up 10 more from a local car wash:
1x 2001-P Sacagawea
3x 2009-P Taylor (all of them are BU)
2x 2010-P Buchanan
1x 2011-P Johnson
2x 2011-P Hayes
1x 2011-P Garfield
Edited by SilverRoosevelt
04/18/2012 10:42 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1299 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2012  12:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cc99999 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just picked up a roll of P and D 2012 Presidential dollars (they've already sold past their planned minted total). And I spent six Sacs for lunch.

$99,696.
Pillar of the Community
United States
851 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2012  8:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverRoosevelt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I exchanged a total of 10 coins to break larger bills for vending machines-one for a wrinkly dollar bill, five for a $5 bill, and a combination of three $2 bills and four dollar coins.

$99,686 to go.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2012  08:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Three more spent on volleyball.

$99,683 to go.

At this rate, we'll reach our destination on 5-29-24.

We need to get more involved in this.
Edited by wquinn
04/20/2012 1:23 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1299 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2012  10:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cc99999 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nine at Chipotle Grill. They handled 'em like they've seen em a thousand times:

Plus Kings Dominion in Virginia has a change machine that vends them out. Got a 2011 P Sac. which I promptly spent on Skee Ball. Scored a 260.

$99,673 to go!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1503 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2012  12:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinstar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I got 3 from a coworker (who isn't too smart) who said I tried to use them at a resturaunt and they said "we dont take these" hes a dim-bulb
Pillar of the Community
United States
851 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2012  9:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverRoosevelt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spent a total of five at my job for lunch.

$99,668 to go.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1227 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2012  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ninamason to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got one at work yesterday, gave it to one of the high schoolers when they came in. $99,667!

Sidenote: if you want to trade these in/get them back, gas stations are a great place to do it--that's where I work and I handle a whole lot of weird currency, often in a very rapid volume. Just ask your clerk if she has any dollar coins or "weird change" to get rid of--my particular bugbear is $2 bills, but there are always denominations we simply can't get out of our drawers and are more than happy to give as change (or exact exchange, especially if we're low on some type of money!) to a willing customer. We're actually taught about "alternate currencies" ($2 bill, dollar coins, halves) in training--there's no slideshow or anything, but we're told outright, "yes, you accept these."

. . . oh, and I offered an Ike dollar to someone on this forum who's trying to complete a set, if s/he accepts does that count as another dollar? *I need to learn how to make smileys so I can use that little laughing one*
Pillar of the Community
United States
851 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2012  7:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverRoosevelt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I spent 14 at a car show and a dinner after the show, exchanging them with friends or using it to break bills.

$99,653 to go.

Pillar of the Community
United States
561 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2012  10:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Merc Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
$3 getting my morning beverage.

$99,650 to go.
Pillar of the Community
United States
851 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2012  1:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverRoosevelt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I picked up another roll at the bank today, here are the contents:

2x 2000-P Sacagawea
2x 2000-D Sacagawea
2x 2001-P Sacagawea
1x 2009-D NA
1x 2011-P NA
1x 2011-D NA
1x 2007-P Washington
1x 2007-D Jefferson
2x 2007-P Madison
1x 2008-P Jackson
1x 2008-P Van Buren
1x 2010-P Fillmore
1x 2010-P Pierce
1x 2010-P Lincoln
2x 2011-P Johnson
4x 2011-P Hayes
Pillar of the Community
United States
1227 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2012  2:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ninamason to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got to work yesterday, had two in my drawer. Got another two from customers, sent all four back into the wild. I lost the paper I had the names written down on (One was a John Adams and one was a Rutherford Hayes), but all four were Prez coins.

$99 646 to go!

Sidenote: a lot of my semi-regulars are getting used to getting these in their change when I run low on bills--the only surprised response I got was from a woman I'd never seen before. I like this!
Valued Member
United States
197 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2012  3:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newmismatist to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Once I was at a Walgreens and saw two employees looking intently at a coin and discussing it. One was saying it was a quarter; the other was saying it was a fifty-cent piece. I walked closer and saw that it was a Sacagawea. So I told them I would buy every like coin they could find in the store for seventy-five cents each. They eyed me suspiciously, and I finally gave in and told them it was a dollar. (They obviously hadn't looked closely at the reverse.) Incidents like this make me ponder the very meaning of money.
Pillar of the Community
United States
561 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2012  10:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Merc Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
$2 at Pilot for a large coffee while filling up my tank this morning. $3 at McDonald's for breakfast on the go.

The cashier at the Pilot acted all ticked off and commented how much she hated these stupid quarters. I politely informed her that those "stupid quarters" were actually dollars and that she was in the service industry and with a gas station on all 4 corners of the intersection she should consider how her comments will be taken before she makes them. I guess I know where I will not be filling up anymore. On the other hand all smiles from the girl at MsDonalds who was looking at the coins while a co-worker prepared my order.

$99,641 to go!
Page: of 317 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 11.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05