Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hands Down, Your Favorite Coin

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Learn More...
United States
83885 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
8901 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2012  5:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Moe145 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also like my newest:

1852 Seated Liberty Half Dollar

Rare? Yes. Expensive? Yes. Mine? YES!!
Pillar of the Community
United States
6083 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2012  5:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MOE,
Pillar of the Community
United States
5851 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2012  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add D0ubl3Eagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This would be my favorite.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2605 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2012  8:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add svslav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
svslav, I wondered what your avatar was

What jbuck said.

When I lived and worked in Connecticut I met with Mandelbrot himself at Yale a few times. I find the whole subject of Fractal Geometry very interesting, as soon as I was exposed to it I incorporated it in my Discrete Math class.

I do think it deserves to be commemorated, at least on a medal, because it gave the birth to an important branch of modern Math with implications in all areas of arts and sciences.
When (a couple of decades ago) Mandelbrot went to give a talk at Harvard a crop circle in a shape (although not mathematically accurate) of his set appeared. British tabloids ran headlines, "Now we have the proof of alien presence on the Earth, for no human mind could come up with a shape like this!"
Edited by svslav
04/11/2012 8:51 pm
Valued Member
United States
318 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2012  9:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cajunlady0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Having read the definition of the "Mandelbrot set" previously provided, I must say that I still have no clue what it is about. Just hoping that I am not the only one who is lost on this subject. I am just going to continue to think of Svslav's avatar as a ink blob test picture. It doesn't hurt my brain that way.

Some gorgeous pieces have been displayed in this thread!! I don't yet have a favorite coin, but when the day comes, I will post it here. Until then, I do not want to make anyone laugh with my coins. The day will arrive that I will get a "show case" piece and, trust me, I will show it off. Everyone will get very tired of looking at it.

So, until then, please continue to show those gorgeous coins! This is very interesting.

Valued Member
United States
360 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2012  12:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add j-win to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So many gorgeous coins in this forum, hopefully I get a coin in the future that is good enough to be viewed with all the other eye candy coins here
Valued Member
United States
360 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2012  12:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add j-win to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Svslav, I'm very interested in learning more about the Mandelbrot set. I had read about it many years ago and had been intrigued, but I didn't quite get the jist of the whole thing. Would you mind providing some good links in this topic, more in detail about the Mandelbrot set? Thank you if you could.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3271 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2012  01:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add murrellington to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd have to choose my avatar. Wish I could buy it but it's sitting in some unknown collection out there :/
Learn More...
United States
14313 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2012  01:22 am  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
murrellington

I'd have to choose my avatar. Wish I could buy it but it's sitting in some unknown collection out there :/

isn't that an 1857 Flying Eagle cent or am I missing something
<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating Two Dollar Bills
Valued Member
United States
360 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2012  01:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add j-win to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fuzzy317, I think what Murrellington means is he's waiting for someone to come across an old collection and he might offer them money for that Flying Eagle cent. Or maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about either (It's 2:00 in the morning and I took my ambien 2 hours ago.
Learn More...
United States
14313 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2012  02:00 am  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
j-win, I have 4 more hours of work

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating Two Dollar Bills
Pillar of the Community
United States
3271 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2012  11:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add murrellington to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah it's an 1857 FEC. What I meant is it is my favorite coin, but I don't own it. Found the picture online. I love the toning, purple is my favorite color.... I wish I knew who owned it so I could buy it!
Learn More...
United States
14313 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2012  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ok, now I understand.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2605 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2012  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add svslav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Svslav, I'm very interested in learning more about the Mandelbrot set. I had read about it many years ago and had been intrigued, but I didn't quite get the jist of the whole thing. Would you mind providing some good links in this topic, more in detail about the Mandelbrot set? Thank you if you could.

Not to hijack this thread I can talk about this in General Discussion
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05