Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your Most Recent Canadian Coin Purchases!

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2,567 / Views: 312,762Next Topic
Page: of 172
Canada
35 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2020  10:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CTH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@thedollarman - thanks, will takea look

@Dollar 1935 - Yes I was going to take the Hit from PCGS and subscribe as I am Canadian. I don't know if they worklike NGC with an Annual Fee and then so many free gradings... Can anyone give me a brief explanation of how operates and what would be the best way to go with them ?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4748 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2020  10:54 pm  Show Profile   Check thedollarman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add thedollarman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is a membership fee, then also a cost per coin graded. The cost is I think $40-$45 USD per coin but the real killer is the price of shipping and insuring the coins. If we do get in contact and you find I am trustworthy though I am doing a submission around the end of the month and would be happy to submit the coins on your behalf.

Edited to add that I have sent an email to you.. praying it arrives
feel free to call me Will. I'm a 20 year old collector from the GTA area of Ontario.

my PMs are always open, whether you have a question or simply wish to talk!
Edited by thedollarman
10/17/2020 10:56 pm
Canada
35 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2020  11:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CTH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@dollarman, I think you are trustworthy but it would be my first time with PCGS and for the 1st time, I would like to have that experience of going through the system. I just checked their membership page and for $249 USD (for a year), I can get 8 coins graded free which basically covers the cost of becoming a member.

But for sure at those grading prices, they are weeding out the millions of low-grade coins that people might think of getting graded and keeps up a strong image. I suppose it might be more than them just charging a lot. Still, it is triple or quadriple what ICCS charges....yikes !
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4748 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2020  8:29 pm  Show Profile   Check thedollarman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add thedollarman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Right on! I forgot about the grading vouchers haha..the account I use is under a friend's name so I don't know all the ins and outs. Looks like some of our messages were removed...rightly so, we spammed up the thread a bit haha.

It dawned on me CTH...go to my profile, and click the link to my ebay, and then send me a message on ebay. That should get us in touch without breaking any forum rules!
feel free to call me Will. I'm a 20 year old collector from the GTA area of Ontario.

Netherlands
33 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2020  03:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gebs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My latest

Learn More...
United States
92192 Posts
Canada
35 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2020  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CTH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Dollar 1935 Re: 1952 Specimen Set

Yeah I agree, pretty amazing set to look at. Will look better encased & photographed. Once
Valued Member
Canada
172 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2020  5:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dollar 1935 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Absolutely!

Just curious ; did you bought it as a specimen set or just a simple mint set?
Canada
35 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2020  7:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CTH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Dollar 1935 - Just a mint set
Canada
35 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2020  7:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CTH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Update on the Specimen Set shown a few pages back that was to be graded by ISSC - the results are in....

$1.00 SP64
50 Cent SP64
25 Cent SP63
10 Cent SP65
5 Cent SP66
1 Cent SP65 Red
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4748 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2020  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Check thedollarman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add thedollarman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting, I stand by my previous comments..SP63/64 is usually reserved by ICCS these days for coins that have had some degree of handling or cleaning...I think it's most evident in the splotchiness of the dollar and quarter. The lower denominations seem nice though..maybe someone mixed and matched a couple broken sets?

Edited by thedollarman
11/02/2020 7:44 pm
Canada
35 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2020  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CTH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@thedollarman It could be they were mixed, the person has another set mixed but some are Matte, some Mirror, don't remember which ones. Hoping to pick that one up in a couple of weeks. Got a few nice ones that came back, 1917 25 Cents MS64, 1936 Bar Variety EF40, 2 x 1955 DDR MS62 + MS64, 1907 & 1917 50 Cents EF45 & EF40 respectively.

Haven't always been happy with coins coming back but sent out 20 and the majority are expected or better grades, can't complain. For the 1937 Set, I might send them along with the 1952 set to see what PCGS would grade them and get them into hard cases at the same time.
Canada
35 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2020  7:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CTH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What's peculiar, I also sent in a 1937 25 Cents SP62 I had graded previously by ICCS which I felt was undergraded. I decided to remove it from the holder and send it in without mentioning anything. It came back SP64 this time.
Canada
35 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2020  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CTH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@thedollarman Isn't it true that there are many things that affect the toning of silver coins...such as sulphur content in the surrounding area, smoker's homes different from smoke-free homes, humidity. Doesn't necessarily mean they were cleaned no ?
Edited by CTH
11/02/2020 7:53 pm
Valued Member
Canada
172 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2020  7:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dollar 1935 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For me, they simply don't worth it : 1937 matte specimen are not really rare in choice condition, and, unlike your 1952 set, this set is definitely under the average in term of surface and eye appeal.

For the toning, a matte 1937 silver specimen free of toning is really suspect to me.
Edited by Dollar 1935
11/02/2020 7:58 pm
Page: of 172 Previous TopicReplies: 2,567 / Views: 312,762Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.8 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05