Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your Most Recent Canadian Coin Purchases!

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2,602 / Views: 318,825Next Topic
Page: of 174
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  9:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DFry97 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a cool coin I picked up recently. Anyone have any info on it such as mintage? I believe it was part of a set but why would someone break the set up? Not my latest Canadian coin purchase, that one is in transit. Stay tuned folks.

Dan
Valued Member
Canada
64 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  01:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jazzy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That coin is the 50-cent piece from the RCM's annual silver proof set (mintage 15,000). It is .9999 silver, 9.25 grams.

Personally I break some of my sets up and I do have some in PCGS holders (especially US coins), though I still have plenty of sets in their original packaging. I do as I please, and I'm sure others do too (or they are breaking up sets, grading, and selling to try and bring a profit).
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  07:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DFry97 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the reply jazzy! Thought the mintage would have been higher.

Dan
Learn More...
United States
95662 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  09:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here is a cool coin I picked up recently.
Very nice!
Pillar of the Community
United States
959 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  10:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That coin is the 50-cent piece from the RCM's annual silver proof set
So.....does the 'S' in the designation "S50C" on the label stand for silver? If the coin was from the 'clad' D-Day 75th Anniv. Set, how would it be labeled? Just "50C" or some other letter in front of the '5'?
I normally stay away from buying slabbed coins, but if I do have to pick up one in the future, I'd like to know a little bit more about labeling rules/techniques/etc. TY

PS: Oops, one more ?. Do all grading companies use the same labeling 'rules', or do they differ? TY (again)
Edited by atticguy
01/20/2021 10:34 am
Valued Member
Canada
64 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  10:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jazzy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So.....does the 'S' in the designation "S50C" on the label stand for silver? If the coin was from the 'clad' D-Day 75th Anniv. Set, how would it be labeled? Just "50C" or some other letter in front of the '5'?

S in this case does mean silver. For instance, I've seen silver dollars labeled as S$1. A clad 50-cent piece would be labeled as "50C".

Quote:
PS: Oops, one more ?. Do all grading companies use the same labeling 'rules', or do they differ? TY (again)

This is where things get interesting. Not only would grading standards vary slightly, but you have differences like PF vs PR for Proof. NGC uses PF while PCGS uses PR.

In addition, I believe PCGS labels their silver coins without the S, so this coin would just be labeled 50C without the S, but have a note on the label that it is silver. That all said, I've seen dollars (specifically dollars) labeled as S$1 on PCGS holders, but no other denomination have I seen that with PCGS.
Canada
12 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CAmint to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Newest addition

1861 New Brunswick 1 cent - VF to EF I believe

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
16204 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  6:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
1861 New Brunswick 1 cent - VF to EF I believe

Very nice!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3401 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  7:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think EF to AU
Valued Member
Canada
72 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fefimo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My newest 1881 cent triple N
Sorry for closeup quality.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3401 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  9:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 81's have some really neat repunches ... most from trying to reuse the 1876 dies from single serif N's (like the '76's) to full serif and going from Obv 1a's to Obv 2's without making new masters or hubs.
Learn More...
United States
95662 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2021  11:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Newest addition 1861 New Brunswick 1 cent

Quote:
My newest 1881 cent triple N
Very nice!
Valued Member
United States
371 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2021  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Check John K's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add John K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lightly cleaned but still nice

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1647 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2021  3:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
John K
Edited by papeldog
01/31/2021 3:29 pm
Learn More...
United States
95662 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2021  09:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Lightly cleaned but still nice
I agree. Nice example!
Page: of 174 Previous TopicReplies: 2,602 / Views: 318,825Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 4.37 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05