Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Many Coins = A Hoard?

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 48 / Views: 8,161Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member
United States
470 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2012  2:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Andrew289 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A hoard is defined by the first time your wife complains about those darn coins taking up all of the space in the house.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4074 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2016  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How many coins in a hoard? That reminds me of the philosophical question:

How many grains of sand does it take to make a pile? 2? 10? 1000?

Webster says: "A supply or accumulation that is hidden or carefully guarded for preservation, future use, etc."

So it may really be the purpose not that amount.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7387 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2016  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cascade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So darth, still have only 200 Ikes?

Pillar of the Community
United States
3818 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2016  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joe2007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For me, part of it depends on whether the collection is difficult to store. On another forum there was a guy with many trash can sized metal drums full of wheat cents. They took up a whole side of his garage. I'd say that is a large hoard, since it definitely impacts the collector's quality of life.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18357 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2016  11:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The way I see it, a 'hoard' is an archeological 'find' of more than one coin.

In the hands of a collector, I agree with Sap's remarks.
In this case, you have an 'accumulation' (chaotic) or a collection (organised).

Sometimes, I think my collection must be somewhere between the two, because my (accumulation / collection) is so diverse, covering all of numisamtics since the invention of coinage.

They are arranged chronologically and partly subdivided by the culture which issued them.
Edited by sel_69l
03/20/2016 01:54 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11935 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2016  11:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GR58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I count my coins and think, one more coin and I will have a hoard.

But when I get another coin .. I think .. one more coin ..

I always need more coins .. precious coins ..

My precious coins ..
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
7096 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2016  03:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't have a Hoard or an accumulation .
I have an accumulation of various collections that make up the Trout Hoard
Valued Member
Belgium
464 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2016  08:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dohcollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
for me a hoard is a collection of 10 or many more pieces from the same coin or even diffrent ones
hoards with a s screams many hunderds-thousands.
totally depends on who you ask I think.

but actually a hoard is a large amount of something valuable that is kept hidden

for me this is a small hoard of the same coinse

Edited by dohcollector
03/20/2016 08:35 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
4809 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2016  10:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rackster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Similar to our fellow associates preceding this -

When I think of hoard and hoarding, I see it as compulsive. Literally someone who is out of control busily accumulating this or that. The accumulation becomes the 'hoard'. No order or organization, a pile like the small hoard as displayed above. So it begs the question: if order and organization is committed to the hoard, does it now become a collection? With directed effort, I can see a collection growing into a large collection. If things are stored in piles or buckets, or anything that will contain and unorganized accumulation, I think that's a likely scenario to be viewed as a hoard.

A collector 'collects' with purpose and directed effort.

A hoarder 'hoards' without clear purpose or direction (other than to have an accumulation).
Edited by Rackster
03/20/2016 10:21 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55872 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2016  6:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well said, Rackster.
Valued Member
Sweden
132 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2016  04:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SpareHuman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Few 1-4
Several 5-9
Pack 10-19
Lots 20-49
Horde 50-99
Throng 100-249
Swarm 250-499
Zounds 500-999
Legion 1000+

Gaming geeks might get this one
Pillar of the Community
United States
2811 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2016  5:37 pm  Show Profile   Check Darth Morgan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Darth Morgan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So darth, still have only 200 Ikes?

Actually, I have exactly 838 now.

Quote:
Well said, Rackster.

My Eisenhower dollar Complete Variety Set, Circulation Strikes and Proof ( PCGS Registry) - https://www.PCGS.com/SetRegistry/do...edset/119137
Darth Morgan - "The Other Ike dollars" Showcase: https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/showcase/3354
Learn More...
United States
98038 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2016  5:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No one seemed to notice that this was a four year old necro-bump.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7387 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2016  6:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cascade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh really jbuck
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7052 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2016  6:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
No one seemed to notice that this was a four year old necro-bump

Good point jbuck ... I missed that as well.

I am replying only to support Rackster excellent description of hoarding versus collecting ... the words used in that reply are exactly what I was thinking but lack the ability to express as eloquently.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 48 / Views: 8,161Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05