Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1999 Close "Am" Lincoln Cent

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 20,218Next Topic  
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2012  6:51 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add arehflorida to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I found this penny among my others today. Not sure how it got there, but decided to look it up online and came across this:

The reverse of some Lincoln cents minted in 1992 at the Philadelphia and Denver mints and some of those minted in 1998 and 1999 at the San Francisco mint feature a smaller-than-normal gap between the first two letters of AMERICA. These coins, known as the Close AM variety are valued at $20,000 and $5,000 for the 1992 specimens in gem uncirculated condition and $3,000 and $1,000 for the San Francisco specimens in gem proof condition.

Here is the link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penny_...States_coin)

In any case I am curious as to if I have this penny?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7053 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2012  6:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF.

Your coin is a normal business strike Philadelphia mint 1999 Lincoln cent ... value is as stated on the reverse (back) of the coin ... 1 Cent.

The article you referenced is correct that the 1999-S, San Francisco proof strike cent is a valued variety with the close AM reverse ... although the valuations you quoted are way overestimated.

There were over 5 billion 1999 Philadelphia mint cents struck with close AM reverse... and your example is one of them.

Search the forum for "Close AM" and "Wide AM' and you will find plenty of follow-up reading if interested.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2012  7:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add arehflorida to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much I appreciate the help:)
Pillar of the Community
United States
808 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2012  7:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papatony to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I believe you read something in error. The only Close AM is the 1992 that is rare. 1998,1999, and 2000 you are looking for Wide AM. The coin you have is a Close AM but it is a 1999 minted in Philadelphia. It would be the 1998-S, and 1999-S (San Francisco Mint)that would be the Close AM referred to in that information. Sorry. Keep looking and posting, we all have a learning curve here!! There are many pros on this forum.I am not one..lol

The following line was just below what you posted in that link

Quote:
The reverse of some Lincoln cents minted in 1998, 1999, and 2000 in Philadelphia feature a larger-than-normal gap between the first two letters of AMERICA. These coins, known as the Wide AM variety are valued at $10, $500, and $5, respectively, in gem uncirculated condition.
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2012  7:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add arehflorida to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank You:)
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 20,218Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05