Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Official "Post A Counterstamp" Thread....

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 867 / Views: 129,418Next Topic
Page: of 58
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3744 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2020  10:35 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those are interesting. What are the odds of you to happen to be the one running across them?!
Nice finds.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Learn More...
United States
91201 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2020  11:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting finds.

For the uninformed, the shag is our state dance.

Friends and family from the UK always got a kick when they saw this plate...

United States
8 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2020  04:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add VTLF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Aside from the quarter with the V, those are the product of a secretive project called Quarter Notes.

Each message has a meaning related to the state depicted on the quarter (except for the quarantine issue).

Hawaii is obvious, someone answered the SC reference, and the KY counterstamp references a ghost town with a creepy back story.

To find four of these is unusual. Are you in the western part of the US? They seem to show up there most often.

Edited by VTLF
09/16/2020 12:23 am
Valued Member
United States
187 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2020  11:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rdlem to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
For the uninformed, the shag is our state dance.
Oh cool. The Lei'd made sense for Hawaii but I didn't get the others. I thought it was whatever sex slang came to the persons mind.

Quote:
Aside from the quarter with the V, those are the product of a secretive project called Quarter Notes.

Each message has a meaning related to the state depicted on the quarter (except for the quarantine issue).

Hawaii is obvious, someone answered the SC reference, and the KY counterstamp references a ghost town with a creepy back story.

To find your if these is unusual. Are you in the western part of the US? They seem to show up there most often.
Very cool, I'll have to see what I can read up about it.
I'm in Colorado so yes, in the west. All of these came in separate boxes, same bank, and over about 6 weeks in July and August. Probably several more floating around the region for a little while.
Learn More...
United States
91201 Posts
Valued Member
United States
187 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2020  11:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rdlem to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Thank you for the additional information.

Apparently Maryland says "Got Crabs". If I got that instead of Kentucky I would have been convinced someone with a teenagers sense of humor was just bored during quarantine.

Because of the quarantine quarter, it must have been recent and I'm thinking maybe dumped by the stamper them self and not some collector.
Learn More...
United States
91201 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2020  11:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Because of the quarantine quarter, it must have been recent and I'm thinking maybe dumped by the stamper them self and not some collector.
Seems like a good assumption.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3706 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2020  2:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Seems like a good assumption.

keeping in line with this thread's new modus operandi, methinks that emphasis should be placed upon the first syllable of "assumption."
Valued Member
United States
147 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Here's a countermarked British one-penny token, dated 1812, from Roscoe Place, Sheffield, Yorkshire. The issuer was Shaw, Jobson, & Co., whose many factories are shown behind the wall on the obverse. Among their products were candlesticks, edging tools, fenders, fireplace (and maybe blacksmith's) irons, stove grates, etc. Now known as Withers 1047, Davis built some confusion into his descriptions of the three varieties of this piece, so we'll call it Davis 141-143, for those of you keeping score at home.

I don't collect countermarks, but sometimes they show up unbidden, as they say, and this was one of those sneaky ones. I'd owned this token for probably ten years before I looked closely enough to notice the tiny "S" stamped in above the date.

Trying to determine which way was up for this "S," I created these cropped views:

What the scans don't show is that most of the variation in color is lustre, with mostly an underlying proof-like quality. I mention that only because one of the dealers I respect in this field took a look at it and suggested that it signifies a "specimen," something the diemaker (Thomas Halliday) or striker (allegedly Edward Thomason) might have produced for the issuer to approve or reject before minting was started up in earnest.

So, two questions for forum members: First, have you ever seen a c/s this small? And second, what do you suppose its purpose was?

Thanks to all for looking, and wash your hands, everybody!
Tom
"I ain't good-looking, but I'm willing to try."
--- Dave "Snaker" Ray: 'It's All Right,' 1963
Valued Member
United States
187 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  1:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rdlem to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sneaky one! Very cool.
Learn More...
United States
91201 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3744 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  3:35 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really cool if it was marked that way as a Specimen. How unique it would be.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Page: of 58 Previous TopicReplies: 867 / Views: 129,418Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.43 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05