Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Official "Post A Counterstamp" Thread....

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 914 / Views: 135,644Next Topic
Page: of 61
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1713 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2021  10:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here are my database notes on John Rothery ....

That's very interesting
Everything can change in just one day.........
Best Lincoln roll find & Nicest WOODY find
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers
Learn More...
United States
98386 Posts
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kimberwynn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1799 8 Reales coin with a lot of counter stamps.
I'm new here and just learned a little about this coin I found in my grandpas collection. I wasn't aware that counterstamps were a thing and found this thread so I wanted to post it here and see if anyone could add any info or opinions

Valued Member
United States
119 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  9:26 pm  Show Profile   Check Akkdayam's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Akkdayam to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Idaho counter stamp

Edit: just relized coop posted different state stamped one saying probably full set done and this proves it sort of
When you buy on eBay make sure you don't get it then realize you bought the wrong thing 3 minutes later - me

Edited by Akkdayam
02/26/2021 12:55 pm
Learn More...
United States
98386 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  10:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
1799 8 Reales coin with a lot of counter stamps.
Excellent!

Here is the topic for discussion: http://goccf.com/t/393923

Quote:
Idaho counter stamp
Very nice!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4767 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  3:13 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Akkdayam...

Quote:
Idaho counter stamp

Quote:
full set done and this proves it sort of...

Yes. There is definitely a complete set of 50 states. They usually sell for <$20 on eBay. Here is one listed for considerably more.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-Linco...394751?tk=no
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Pillar of the Community
United States
3850 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF, KimberWynn

The counterstamps on your Spanish coin are commonly referred to as chopmarks. These 1800's era punch marks, basically personal ID's, were applied by Chinese merchants as the silver coins passed through their hands. They wanted to assure that the coins weren't plated, so they pierced the surface with the punch. Thus, each chopmark was a stamp of approval. To my experience, these coins generally sell in the $50-$75 range.

The state counterstamps, typically seen on Lincoln cents, are modern novelty items that might retail for a quarter, apiece.
Valued Member
United States
109 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2021  12:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PPorro to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll be more careful in the future to look for counterstamps. Interesting topic. For now I'll add two that I've had some time. I considered collecting these, but they seem to be hit and miss. I don't find them as valuable as some sellers. So I only have two.

Learn More...
United States
98386 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4767 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2021  4:06 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice Masonic counter stamps Pporro.
Learn More...
United States
98386 Posts
Valued Member
United States
184 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2021  6:10 pm  Show Profile   Check daltonista's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Okay, most counterstamps are innies, but...here's a monstrously rare outie!

I posted this in the wrong place last summer, but our Esteemed Moderator Spence suggested I share it in this obviously more relevant thread. Wondering if anyone else has seen anything like it...or maybe owns one, or has some clues as to its attribution? (I've never collected countermarks per se, so none of the Brunk editions (R.I.P., Greg!) have found their way into my library.)

It's an 1897 Ceylon 10c with a countermark that was added or "affixed" like a plaque to the coin. Spence suggested "brazing" as the method of attachment, but my admittedly sketchy metallurgical research indicates that technique may not work with silver and gold.

My close-up scan of the plaque shows some gouging or scraping underneath...not sure what that means, but I suppose it could be just a matter of heating and roughening up the surface to get some grippier adhesion for the similarly heated bit of silver that was added.

I picked this up for a quarter out of a junk bin at a West Coast show about 35 years ago, back when I was collecting "British World" exonumia. To add to my ignorance about this piece, I have no idea what "ACCJ" represents.

Any clues out there?

Forgot to mention above that a hanger has been removed from the 12:00 position, so maybe it was intended to be some sort of love token or "charm," as on a bracelet.

"I ain't good-looking, but I'm willing to try."
--- Dave "Snaker" Ray: 'It's All Right,' 1963
Learn More...
United States
98386 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2021  10:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
but...here's a monstrously rare outie!
Impressive!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4767 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2021  10:38 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Daltonista. Neat coin let alone the counter stamp.
Page: of 61 Previous TopicReplies: 914 / Views: 135,644Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05