Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1883-O Morgan Opinions

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 1,024Next Topic  
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10625 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2012  07:43 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I just picked this one up on the bay and would like some opinions on it.

1883-O Nut
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2448 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2012  10:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add carmykle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Once again, the wear on her ear and eagle breast suggests AU58. Just and opinion though. And I'll also say that I've seen slabbed coins graded MS63 look worse that this. It's a real slider.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
25676 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2012  12:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An easy one, MS-63. This is an MS coin no question. Typical O Mint soft strike above ear and breast feathers.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4743 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2012  12:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Blazing cartwheel on this one. Has a few luster grazes but I would agree it is a slam dunk for an MS-63
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10625 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2012  1:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't have this one in hand yet either. I'm hoping it's a good as the seller's photos. The exciting part is it appears to be a VAM-1C2. It would be my first R7 variety.
1883-O Nut
Pillar of the Community
United States
1547 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2012  4:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eddiespin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS63, going away.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2541 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2012  6:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gothic Florin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How much do the little dings on the rim affect the grade? Not much I'm guessing, and based on the main focal points I'd say MS 63, maybe MS 62 if there is a grumpy PCGS grader on duty that day.
United States
25 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2012  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TreyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IMO That's a clean MS63. Definitely not AU.
Pillar of the Community
United States
620 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2012  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Captain Morgan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks MS-64 to me, very nice clean Morgan
Pillar of the Community
United States
3076 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2012  02:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add aladinslamp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
it does appear to be the VAM c2 version, got a reap pick there not may in ms 63 if it can be graded, very nice coin...G
Pillar of the Community
United States
9087 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2012  04:24 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-63 to me.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, Early American Coppers Member (EAC) #6202, Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), Conder Token Collector Club (CTCC), Civil Wat Token Society (CWTS), & Numismatic Bibliomania Society (NBS) Member in good standing, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
United States
1547 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2012  08:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eddiespin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How much do the little dings on the rim affect the grade?
Well, when you get stuck, it's like anything else, just take a deep breath, look at the coin, and think it out. The rim and edge certainly aren't primary focal areas. They're not even what one would call secondary focal areas. If they're anything, they're tertiary focal areas. Still, they're like the frame on a picture, so even little dings, there, do have a bearing. As far as the market goes, and what it will tolerate, I'll say little dings on the rim and/or edge loom the larger when the coin is at the threshold of a gem, but are pretty much irrelevant below that.
Learn More...
United States
23522 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2012  3:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How did I miss this?

That's a VAM-1C2. Look at the wreath to the viewer's left. The depression around it is so obvious that it's clear even in these small images, as is the big double clash characteristic of the C2 subvariety.

Welcome to an R-7 VAM, Dave. You are a serious winner with this one.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10625 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2012  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks SsuperDdave. I was really nervous someone else would notice this one and snipe it out from under me at the last second. The good thing about this VAM is all the PUP's are on the reverse and the only thing you see is the obverse when scrolling through auction listings . I was actually looking for this VAM after reading about it on the VAM world message board and needless to say quite excited when I came across this one unattributed.
1883-O Nut
Edited by dave700x
08/13/2012 4:53 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 1,024Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: