Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Reported Twice...ebay Has Done Nothing, Yet.

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Learn More...
United States
16356 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2012  02:44 am Show Profile   Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this topic Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-1788-C...em416a65f767

Obvious fake. Museum copy as devices look cast as well as coin.
Over $200 now.
ANA LM1214396
U.S. Colonial and Large Cent fanatic.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2448 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2012  08:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add carmykle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't get into the web site. Maybe already pulled.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4178 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2012  08:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dsfreeworld to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i complained as well. I am so sick of ebay's tolerance which is based on how much money they stand to profit.
822 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2012  08:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scubu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am so sick of ebay's tolerance which is based on how much money they stand to profit.

You're so wrong. I get dozens of listings pulled without question, very day.
Edited by scubu
09/06/2012 08:50 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3252 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2012  08:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add philadelphian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Geez, the seller even gave us an edge view to show off the "stem" from where the metal was poured in the mold.
Valued Member
United States
300 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2012  10:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Night Hawk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I went ahead and reported it as well, every person who complains helps increase the odds that it'll get pulled.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3519 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2012  2:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, given my complete ignorance about colonials, please explain to me what screams fake about this coin.

Feel free to type slowly and use big letters. ;)
Valued Member
Guatemala
357 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2012  2:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JMerrick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's rather obviously poured, it 'looks' wrong, (that is, "suspect"), and if a coin really were of that caliber, it probably wouldn't be on the 'bay. You do find awesome deals on Ebay, and I've done really well, but I'm fairly certain the average person is not as naive as they portray themselves on Ebay. I always ask myself, "Would I put something like this up for sale, if I didn't know what I had?". If my answer is "No...", I go from there.
Learn More...
United States
16356 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2012  2:25 pm  Show Profile   Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm on my cell, so I'll try to post a genuine example later but basically speaking, the stick figure look of the indian, as well as the other skinny devices not to mention what philadelphian mentioned.
ANA LM1214396
Pillar of the Community
United States
3252 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2012  3:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add philadelphian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seller's pics rather low res, but in the field to the left of the bow there is a kind of cratering, like the surface of the moon, and not really like the pitting of corrosion, that looks to me like metal poured in a mold, and not a planchet struck in a press.
Learn More...
United States
16356 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2012  4:13 pm  Show Profile   Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Genuine.

ANA LM1214396
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3519 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2012  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That whole something that rare or expensive not being on Ebay...that doesn't enter into anything. Not legitimate in my opinion or experience.

vermontesium, thank you for the pic to compare with. I see the differences clearly.

phila, I see what you mean. I take it the lumps to the right of the Indian would also be indicative of a cast coin.
Valued Member
Guatemala
357 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2012  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JMerrick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SmokeRiderDon,

I certainly didn't mean to imply that nothing rare or expensive is on Ebay. Quite the contrary. As I said, I've done very, very well on Ebay... I once scored a very rare piece of Arts and Crafts period pottery worth about 25K, for under $100. But, that's the exception. I've also been burned.

I suggest that a lot of questionable dealers, or sellers, appear to be very naive on Ebay, when in fact, they're not. I saw probably 8 things on this coin that didn't look right, before I saw the edge picture. I'm absolutely flabbergasted that the seller actually took a picture of the evidence that the piece was cast. That said, it's not a piece I would be interested in, so it's easier to be objective.

If I see something I am interested in, and I quite often do, I educate myself. Often times, an item happens to be something I know a lot about. If so, great. If not, I'm certainly not afraid to reach out to those who know more than I do. That's one thing this forum is great for. Everybody brings something to the table. Most of us know a whole lot about 'something', and we share.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3252 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2012  5:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add philadelphian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
See what vermontensium's pic can tell you? You don't have to be an expert in colonials; the post-colonial state (and republic, sorry Vermonters) coins' dies were made much the same way as the US Mint coinage that was to come. Lettering was punched in separately, whether expertly, like a Seated Liberty, or half-drunkenly, like a Fugio. The letters on the real coin look like punches; the fake's letters look like they were drawn in the mud with a stick.
Valued Member
United States
344 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2012  6:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tgauchsin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was going to help you out and report the listing, but it looks like it has finally been pulled.
Learn More...
United States
16356 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2012  7:05 pm  Show Profile   Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I prefer half-drunkenly personally :-)

Don't be sorry p to us lovers of Republic of Vermont coinage!
ANA LM1214396
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05