Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Why isn't This Type Dime In Dansco Type Coin Album

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member
United States
402 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2012  9:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add edgman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a big question! Is the Liberty Seated without Stars or Legend (as above) in any other Liberty Seated coin such as the Quarter, Half Dollar, etc.? Could look it up but the wife keeps moving my coin books. So would you experts answer that question please if you can.

Thanks

edgman
Valued Member
United States
461 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2012  9:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sirdizzy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The quarter and half dollar had stars on all of them but have a unique type of no drapery for those years. The half dime had a no stars type for this years so you can find a no stars half dime.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1673 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2012  11:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jfransch to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sirdizzy,
The large coin albm is a breeze to complete, assuming you have a draped bust small eagle reverse half dollar sitting around your collection looking for an album home. If you have the Small Coin album, send me a PM and I'll send you out the Large Coin 9435 so you have a complete set. I just want to see you post pictures on the forum when you complete it.
"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Valued Member
United States
461 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2012  01:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sirdizzy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
jrfransch I have neither album when you mentioned it I had to go see what the albums looked like and spent 30 minutes googling and going through ebay until I found them (so sad that the Whitman site doesn't even tell you what is in their albums or have decent pics at least with Dansco they got decent pics on their site and tell you whats in the albums), they are from the 60's I found out. I am love with the idea of that Whitman bookshelf set, that has to be the ultimate type set ever. I am a massive type fan, it is my favorite set ever and a set I have always wanted to complete. I am in my third attempt at doing a 7070. The first set I sold in college to pay bills and was a gorgeous set with maybe 60 of the 76 holes filled, actually I should revise that because back then I was doing the gold page so there was 86 holes and I had 4 of the gold pieces. The second attempt was a slightly weaker attempt with maybe half of the album filled that most of the major pieces got sold out of when I was unemployed for awhile (Morgan, peace, walking liberty, xf large cent, silver eagle etc stuff that was some easy cash when needed). I have started again recently and I kept all the minor pieces from the last purge (Ikes, Roosevelt's, Washington's, Jefferson's and even a gorgeous 1905 RB IHC in MS62) and am now back up to 43 of the 76 with a handful of fillers I will upgrade later down the road. Money is good again, job is good again and I really found the love of the type set and numismatics again.

I figure it will take me about a year to finish the 7070, because I will want to do some upgrades if I can keep from getting sidetracked (I have also fell in love with commemoratives and have started a commemorative dollar set and am seriously contemplating a classic commemorative half set). Right now I am working my way through the Seated Liberty coinage (just bought a 1853 Seated quarter with rays, the rays on the reverse eagle is one of my favorite reverse designs ever, all my 1853-55 with arrows type will be the 1853 so I can get the rays) and am going to get a Seated Liberty half dime this week and am I thinking that 1838 with no stars would be an awesome one to go for. I know once I am done with the 7070 I am going to want to turn it into that Whitman bookshelf type set now, because that is an awesome beyond awesome type set. I have been rereading my RedBook and I am thinking it might also be fun to do some colonial coins like the pine or oak trees or even civil war tokens. I just absolutely love US type sets (I think that is why I am falling in love with the commemoratives something I never collected before because its like a unique type sets of its own) and that Whitman set is the ultimate type set, amazingly beautiful, complex and difficult something to spend years working on and upgrading. Thank you for letting me know about it.
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2012  01:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
at least with Dansco they got decent pics on their site and tell you whats in the albums

Fun fact I learned from other members here its not actually Danscos website. They dont have one in fact as they dont ever sell directly to the public
Learn More...
United States
14454 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2012  1:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
there are allot of different coins that are not included in the 7070 album. I at times wish they would have took out three of the commem halves to have put holes for some of the ones missing. I am not sure why Dansco chose not to list some and then yet list others but for some reason they did
Valued Member
United States
359 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2012  4:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ngs428 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree. Go albumless when doing a type set. I sold an empty 7070 on EBay a couple years ago and dont regret it.
Learn More...
United States
83885 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2012  5:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They have to draw the line somewhere.

We may not agree where they should have placed that line, but it must be done because no one wants to see a twenty page Dansco 7070 album.

Or do they.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3507 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2012  6:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As jbuck said. If they did a complete, a truly complete, type set, you would have to be a multi millionaire to complete it. AND the thing would weigh as much my son. Its just not practical to do. Though that Whitman set sounds closer to complete. And when you decide to pare something down like this, you are NEVER going to make everyone happy.
Valued Member
United States
461 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2012  6:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sirdizzy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
jbuck I would take a 20 page 7070 :) I mean why not have the 1838 liberty Seated dime and half dime no stars, or the 1853 Seated quarter and half with rays as well as arrows and an 1854-1855 with arrows and a 1873 with arrows and motto. Heck that Whitman set has a spot for 3 silver 3 cent pieces not just one. I love the idea of a more complete type set, plus you can always just sell the bare bones set maybe have a 7070, and 7070a and 7070b. I really am going to end up doing that Whitman set once my 7070 is done.

I couldn't find a 1838 half dime no stars today so I went with an 1857 O half dime in a very nice VF (it was the nicest type 1 no mottos they had, they had some nice xf and AU type 3's though for the 7070).
Learn More...
United States
83885 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2012  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
jbuck I would take a 20 page 7070 :)
I knew someone would.

To be honest, I would as well. However, as smokeriderdon indicated, it is way beyond my budget. That is, until the Powerball comes my way.
Valued Member
United States
461 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2012  7:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sirdizzy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
jbuck oh that Whitman bookshelf might be beyond my budget with chain cents and what not but I sure as heck want to try my hand at it :)
Valued Member
United States
196 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2012  10:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add iraqandroll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My Intercept album has spots for 4 half dimes and 8 dimes. There is no spot for the one above, too bad it's looks awesome.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1673 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2012  11:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jfransch to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the Whitman page for dimes and quarters

"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2012  11:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
To be honest, I would as well. However, as smokeriderdon indicated, it is way beyond my budget

I suspect thered be a lot of complaints if literally everything was included with how hard it would be to finish. I do wonder though if there would be enough of a market for coins like this to be included that it would be worth it for them to offer add on pages with coins like that for those that want it.

Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05