Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your United Kingdom (Great Britain) Coin Acquisitions.

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 1,693 / Views: 142,371Next Topic
Page: of 113
Valued Member
United Kingdom
415 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2020  04:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

That's a very nice jubilee medal, and good to have the box too.
I have this one, struck to commemorate a visit they paid to a place not far from me. It's not rare, but I do like that the original ribbon is still present.

Valued Member
United States
456 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2020  08:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Harry213 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love the medals

I have a couple of the Canadian versians, and they're some of the favorites of my collection.
Finding them with the box AND the ribbon is a rare find, well done.
Learn More...
United States
87429 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2020  09:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
All these bronzes and 17th century shillings and the rest make my latest pile of worn halfcrowns look like a joke!
Nice selection!

Quote:
Many of these will be in the flesh on the way back thread.
Excellent! Looking forward to their close-ups.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
54 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2020  06:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hibernianscribe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is quite a pleasing little Charles I halfgroat, Briot issue 1631-39. It's showing a bit of wear but I bought at a local auction for a good price.

Frank

Edited by hibernianscribe
05/20/2020 06:49 am
Valued Member
United Kingdom
54 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2020  07:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hibernianscribe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm pleased with this acquisition: Henry VIII groat, 2nd coinage, Laker bust D, lis mm.

Frank

Valued Member
United Kingdom
375 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2020  09:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zookeeperz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1886 Queen Victoria Sixpence .925 Silver. Just goes to show how pictures can tell 2 stories.Anyone who like myself uses a digiscope will always suffer flat looking coins or even coins showing things that don't even exist. I guess at the magnification it takes pictures at it can be detrimental to the actual coins real look. Below 2 pics of same coin

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8778 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  02:06 am  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love that Henry VIII.

Fair bit nicer than my Tunstall for sure!

Here's a 1953 Uncirculated set, which I will take much better pictures of once it actually gets here. Very inexpensive but attractive set IMO. Pairs nicely with a Crown.

Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Valued Member
United Kingdom
54 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  04:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hibernianscribe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Despite its relatively worn condition, this P&M groat is one of my favourites because I dug it out of a Gloucestershire meadow about four years ago with my T2 detector and to me digging a 'hammy', regardless of its condition, is one of life's great thrills! It was about 5" deep in rich pasture, most likely rarely tilled for crops. When I retrieved the coin it was clean silver encased in soil, but since then the typical dark blue patina has developed which supports my opinion that this part of the meadow had rarely/never been ploughed, certainly for nearly five hundred years, otherwise the coin would have been slowly patinated over the years whenever the soil was turned over, thereby oxidising any buried metal.
05/26/2020 07:19 am
Valued Member
United Kingdom
415 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  05:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Absolutely Frank. Fantastic.
Anyone can buy, but having found this yourself makes it all the more special and means you have that connection with the person who lost it all those years ago.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
54 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  05:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hibernianscribe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You're 'spot-on' - I know the experience is cliched, but nevertheless that's exactly how it is. It's that moment in the field when one handles an artefact that was likely last touched hundreds of years earlier by him/her that lost it - it's in that instant that the 'connection' is made!

Frank
05/26/2020 05:53 am
Valued Member
United Kingdom
54 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  06:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hibernianscribe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
love that Henry VIII.
Fair bit nicer than my Tunstall for sure!

That may be so with respect to the King's portrait, but your 'Tunstall' invokes much more historical interest in my view just as Wolsey and Cranmer coins under Henry VIII offer a bit more intrigue to ponder over. Furthermore, Cuthbert Tunstall was a mere Bishop who succeeded to the Durham Diocese from Wolsey but never got the promotion - but nor indeed a subsequent demise under Henry, in fact. He did come unstuck under Edward but was restored under Mary only to be locked up again by Elizabeth. Unlike numerous contemporaries though, he was permitted to die in bed!

Frank
05/26/2020 07:22 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
New Zealand
916 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  01:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hibernianscribe, I love those coins - especially your Henry VIII halfgroat and that gorgeous Briot milled piece! You obviously have an eye for early modern pieces - the portrait of that Henry 2nd coinage is amazing - really sharp showing the middle phase of the king, getting fatter - but not up to the Bloated and Bearded King Hal yet (The first portrait coinage was actually still a portrait of Henry VII rather the Renaissance Adonis he was in the 1510s!

Paralyse, I have one of those sets too - mine had split was held together by sellotape when I bought it and the 6d was gone. I had to liberate the rest of the coins, but kept the shell. So just check your plastic as it may be brittle after 67 years.

Zookeeperz, love that sixpence - the camera can lie!
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8778 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2020  12:23 am  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A trio of slightly more interesting 1873 coins.

Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Valued Member
United Kingdom
415 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2020  08:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

There's much to be found in the study of dies and how they deteriorate.
Good work P!
Pillar of the Community
United States
569 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2020  3:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add otto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

"Anglo Continental Perfumery". I took the liberty of posting this exonumia here. Hope it's OK. Just acquired. Yet to receive. It is listed as 18 cm. It intrigued me and was inexpensive.
Page: of 113 Previous TopicReplies: 1,693 / Views: 142,371Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.19 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05