Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your United Kingdom (Great Britain) Coin Acquisitions.

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 1,700 / Views: 142,964Next Topic
Page: of 114
Valued Member
United Kingdom
395 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2020  5:39 pm  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would think 18mm or 1.8cm! An 18cm coin - over 7 inches - would be extraordinary!
Pillar of the Community
United States
570 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2020  7:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add otto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would think 18mm

That's it.
Valued Member
United States
456 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2020  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Harry213 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
18 mm is about the size of a U.S. dime.. Fascinating.. So it's slightly smaller than Civil War tokens. 18mm is about the smallest size tokens come in...

I don't know about everyone else but I absolutely love exonumia of all sorts, I have a rather large collection in fact. Everything from Civil war to trade tokens to transportation and the list goes on. Since yours is U.K. related I'd say it fits right in here. A nice change of pace.
Valued Member
United States
456 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2020  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Harry213 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Speaking of tiny things this right here is quite possibly the smallest coin in my collection. About half the size of a U.S. dime.

1843 1-1/2 Pence

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
New Zealand
962 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2020  12:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Love that Three Halfpence, I suspect these were also minted for colonial use in somewhere like Ceylon or Malta - but a few ended up in the UK too. There was also a Three Halfpence minted in the time of good Queen Bess.

Meanwhile a couple of cheaper but nicer add ons to the Mother country collection

This 1945 Halfcrown will easily replace the worn Fine condition thing I have now and will make my George VI halfcrowns all gleamers. It is high AU with the slightest usual hariline and bust wear on George VI (And usual natty strike), the Obverse as expected is Uncirculated.

Also this job lot of 10 pennies I paid $6 NZD for

The 1947/48 are standard F/VF, however a nice 49 in EF/gEF condition and the 61 to 67 pennies are basically Uncirculated (Well the 62 is a high AU and the 66 maybe a slider too) - but for 60 cents each with a lot of natural lustre, these are a bargain and a welcome upgrade on the Britannia penny collection.

The Halfcrown may even pass as a MS 62/63 for US people, but my hard grading makes it a high AU.

Of the pennies, the 1961 is particularly nice and not exactly rare, but at 48 million it is the lowest mintage of the 1960s Britannia pennies (Besides 0 for 1960 ). The rest of the group was obviously put aside too - even your standard 1967 coin is much more worn than the one here.

Plus they make that sound new pennies do, a chink rather than a thud.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Edited by Princetane
06/03/2020 12:46 am
Valued Member
United States
456 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2020  02:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Harry213 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The Halfcrown may even pass as a MS 62/63 for US people, but my hard grading makes it a high AU.

Harry,your comment has been removed, several members were offended by it and it has no place here. In the future be a bit more mindful-echizento.

You would think US graders would look at both sides of a coin, not just the pretty side, eh..
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
New Zealand
962 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2020  02:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
*** Non-numismatic content removed by the Staff ***

A bit of praise for its overall condition would help rather than being nasty.

Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
55 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2020  04:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hibernianscribe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A bit of praise for its overall condition would help rather than being nasty...

'Good on you' Princetane! I'm one hundred per cent in agreement with your response to that bitter comment. You were emphasising positive aspects - an ethos sadly lacking in so many facets of society today. In my view this is a very acceptable coin taken out of general circulation - that is its context - not a special issue and never to be FDC, even fresh out of the dies, so a few blemishes are entirely to be expected!

Frank
Edited by hibernianscribe
06/03/2020 05:02 am
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7048 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2020  04:47 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
In my view this is a very acceptable coin taken out of general circulation

You don't see that many George VI silver halfcrowns better than that. I'd be very pleased to have that in my collection. The hair detail between the ear and the parting is great.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
378 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2020  05:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zookeeperz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice George V 1914 .925 Silver sixpence

Valued Member
United Kingdom
55 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2020  05:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hibernianscribe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Zoo, that's a nice little beauty!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
New Zealand
962 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2020  05:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I paid for that coin knowing it had bag marks, a spot which is obviously from PVC or heavens to betsy someones misguided attempt at cleaning a nice coin. Meanwhile that Sixpence is a real stunner - nice glow and all.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7048 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2020  05:50 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
that Sixpence is a real stunner

Learn More...
United States
87671 Posts
Valued Member
United States
456 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2020  10:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Harry213 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Page: of 114 Replies: 1,700 / Views: 142,964Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 3.18 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05