Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your United Kingdom (Great Britain) Coin Acquisitions.

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 1,838 / Views: 151,343Next Topic
Page: of 123
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
510 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2020  03:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Mr.Bowen.
We are NOT amused."

Edited by Hogarth
09/11/2020 04:08 am
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1473 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2020  05:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good one, but even that smile looks a little ... scary..

My image of older Victoria comes solely from Dame Judi (Sad I know), and I get the feeling she was a nice person, she detested the racism of the era and was always in mourning for Albert, the Old Head she looks slightly happier.

I guess our images are also tempered by Young Victoria in the mini series where she is mostly having tantrums (Usually with Albert, Melbourne, Robert Peel and Palmerston). The same series where she has a tantrum over the Godless florin and throws the coin at Albert!

At the end of the day, she was a great ruler and became more than just another Queen, but a symbol of empire and unity and Victoria streets, lakes, mountains, suburbs, buildings, Parts of Australia, Canadian cities, capitals of islands and everything else British related celebrates her!
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Edited by Princetane
09/11/2020 05:17 am
Valued Member
United Kingdom
62 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2020  08:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hibernianscribe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...the miserable old bag she had become...

You are absolutely right Paddy. Victoria became quite unpopular because of her reclusiveness and refusal to carry out public duties, most likely due to depression that developed from the initial mourning. Consequently she became known in derogatory terms, as the "Widow of Windsor". There are many similarities with today in that criticism of her by her ordinary subjects centred on strong opinion she was doing nothing to earn her Royal pay! After intense pressure she did attempt to improve her performance during the 1870s-80s but never properly came out of her self-imposed mourning and this unpopularity was never entirely eliminated because of this.

This notwithstanding it wasn't all about Albert, as she did cultivate close relationships during this period, most notably her well-known friendship with the Balmoral ghillie, John Brown, who died in 1883. Indeed, It is a little known fact that following Victoria's secret, dying instructions to her personal servants, Brown's mother's wedding ring was placed on one of her fingers and his photograph plus a lock of his hair were hidden in her coffin. This seems to have trumped Albert although she was buried next to her beloved husband at Windsor. Frank

Edited by hibernianscribe
09/11/2020 09:17 am
Learn More...
United States
90906 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2020  09:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As promised my family of Victorian Florins
Lovely set.

Interesting commentary on the former Queen.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
470 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2020  2:42 pm  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Finally got round to picking up some new coins for ME!

1842 Halfcrown - a strong upgrade for me and a nice early date:

A lovely penny from Aethelred II (978 to 1016AD). This is the bare-head voided loNGCross version S1151:

Henry VII profile Groat with mintmark Pheon, dating it to 105 to 1509 S2258:
Edited by PaddyB
09/11/2020 2:43 pm
Learn More...
United States
90906 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2020  2:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Finally got round to picking up some new coins for ME!
Well done. A nice variety.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1473 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2020  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice, glad to see coins other than mine, all 3 of those are stunners, that Halfcrown the Saxon penny and the nice Tudor groat - a good mix.

Beats an 1888 Florin and a worn 1905 Halfcrown anyday!

Even Victoria would be smiling!
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
470 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2020  1:40 pm  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another addition arrived to day - the last of the threehalfpences I needed to complete my date run. Only taken me 10 years to get one at a sensible price:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2587 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2020  5:07 pm  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I received this very nice Choice AU 1787, with hearts, George III shilling in the mail today. It has nice light toning, lots of luster and just a bit of rub to the highest parts of the designs.

Paul Bulgerin
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1473 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2020  01:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those two coins are beautiful and always good to fill a gap!

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7602 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2020  07:02 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've long since given up trying to get all The Royal Mint's British £5 'coins', but at present I'm still getting their 50p and £2 offerings, even when not issued for circulation. This is my latest acquisition, which arrived in the post yesterday - the 2019 Captain James Cook £2 - second in the series.

Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1473 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2020  04:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have to admit NumisRob, who ever designed that coin, was on something because what does it have to do with Cook.

In my country we have Cook rammed down our throat as he apparently discovered it in 1769 (Maybe the first white man to set foot on it, Tasman got scared off and the Maori arrived 500 years earlier, but they were not white).

No disrespect to you, but what does a female symbol have to do with him? Okay I see some maps and sails and Otaheitie which is obviously about the transit of Venus (Cook is gospel in our schools - have you seen the Sam Neill series there?), but that coin is an incoherent mess in my opinion.

Meanwhile just one more florin to tide you all over - 1907 - my best coin yet of this type. This one is described as VF and may actually be close to that. Its a bit dull but the detail is there on the shield, Britannia's face and Edward's facial hair. The price for these things goes up exponentially above fine and 1907 is a common year.

The seller wanted $70 for it, but I talked him down to $55 post paid (£28).

If any thing, comparing this Edwardian Florin and that "Thing" shows us how far coin design has regressed in 110 years
Edited by Princetane
09/14/2020 04:32 am
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7602 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2020  5:25 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If any thing, comparing this Edwardian Florin and that "Thing" shows us how far coin design has regressed in 110 years

with you, Princetane!
Apparently when you put all three coins of the series together, they are supposed to make a picture, rather like the 'shield' 1p to 50p coins. I'm not holding my breath...
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1473 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2020  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And yet I just worked out what it meant. The female sign signifies Venus/Isis/The Virgin Mary the Goddess which the planet was named after.

I agree it is still a weird design, but I actually like the shield design, I am actually missing the 2p but have heaps of the 5p, 10p, 20p. For some reason my modern UK collection is nothing like my old one, its mostly the coins above I keep buying in (I have 27 different dates of the 20p now) and the old pounds. Last month I got my first new pound coin, it was dated 2016 of course.

I only have 4 x £2 coins, the Trevithick one, 1 x 1997, 1 x 1998 and 1 x 2000.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1572 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  06:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Another addition arrived to day - the last of the threehalfpences I needed to complete my date run. Only taken me 10 years to get one at a sensible price:

Nice. Probably the easiest silver series to finish!
Page: of 123 Previous TopicReplies: 1,838 / Views: 151,343Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 4.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05