Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your United Kingdom (Great Britain) Coin Acquisitions.

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 1,838 / Views: 151,338Next Topic
Page: of 123
Valued Member
United Kingdom
470 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  08:55 am  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am sure you are aware of the rare possibility with the 1983 set? If the two pence reads "New Pence" instead of "Two pence" it is worth a small fortune. I think I can see the "o" of "two" on yours, so no jackpot.
A 1983 set with the "New pence" mule twopence will sell for close to 1000!
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1471 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  11:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Entirely and I can assure you my 2p coin says Two pence, sadly.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
984 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  05:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add andyg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1970 proof sets were issued 1971-1973,
1971 sets in 1973,
then 1972 to 1975 in 1976.

after that usually in the year of issue, until recently when they were issued the December before.
Edited by andyg
09/27/2020 05:54 am
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1471 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, that is definitely the info I was searching for.

I wonder with the 1970 and 1971 if the coins were actually minted in those years or the years the sets were issued using old dies?
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
984 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add andyg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
not sure of that, but as, for example, the 1972 sets were not issued until 1976, they either sat about in storage for four years or they were not made until 1976...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9055 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  10:12 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This Queen Anne threepence is not anywhere near Uncirculated but I like the way it looks. Sort of a slightly delayed small birthday gift to myself.

Also, I'd love to see that Florin set when it's complete!

Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1471 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  02:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely coin, I would say a goodFine example there and nice circulation cameo.

As for the Florins, may be a while for a complete set, those gothic ones are hard work!
Then again an image or 2 showing what I have so far may look nice. It is just they are all in mylar flips and they are more fragile everytime coins go in and out.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7602 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  04:33 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice circulation cameo on that threepence, paralyse!
Learn More...
United States
90906 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  11:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Nice circulation cameo on that threepence, paralyse!

Lovely example.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
396 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  6:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zookeeperz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not an old coin by any stretch of the imagination and not exactly the rarest coin series in the British coin list with a little over 28 million struck but you'll find it a challenge to get these in full BU condition. Underrated by most catalogues. Spinks Go 40 in BU whilst most other reference books and catalogues are @ 6. I think Spinks are a better guide for top end price Best one I have seen in many years 1949 Half crown Amazing lustre. Keep safe folks
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9055 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  9:05 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks jbuck, numisrob & Princetane and that is one beautiful Halfcrown!
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1471 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  9:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Zookeeperz, I totally agree.

There are literally KAZILLIONS of Cupronickel Halfcrowns between 1947 - 1951 (1953 has the BU and Proof sets and the BU ones are very common) and also 1954 - 1960ish (Some of the 60s dates especially 1966 and 1967 are easy to find BU or at least AU) in VG to VF condition. EF upwards may have low catalogue values, but they are rare.

There are good reasons - one is that these coins were largely ignored back in the day and now. People did not care about them as they were as you said had a high mintage, no silver value and the surviving ones are not too bad.

Think about it, the worst I have seen 1947 or later are high Very Good and most are Fine, VF are fairly easy to find (My 1947 and 1948 are VF with some lustre bits). A high Fine or low VF piece is acceptable and generally even dull ones have a lot of detail.

These are my set coins 1947 to 1951

The 1949 is only Fine, but the rest are VFish and the 1948 despite the stains is gVF. Yet all these coins cost me about 20 cents each, I pulled them out of a pack of 50 halfcrowns that cost me $10!

So many people are going to go for these over your 1949 and that is why its special - hold on to it!

I mean I spent some money on these, and people think I am mad, even AU/BU George VI is not that collectibel either, most hardcore collectors want Gem and BU earlier and the everyman collector just want an example, and would rather pay $10 for a Fine 1939 Halfcrown rather than $20 for this

It cost me DOUBLE a worn one. It is full lustre but only AU and some may even say high EF as some light wear is visible.
Edited by Princetane
09/29/2020 9:46 pm
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1471 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  03:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My latest Half crown arrived today

This very average 1922 Half crown is the "No gap variety" despite how worn it is you can see the top of the shield touches the crown and angle of the shield edge is steep. It is the scarce but no rare "Colon to pearl" variety, the rarest is the Colon to space variety.

It is different to most of the 1922 Halfcrowns as shown below.

Early in 1922, the obverse had a gap inserted between the shield and crown and the shield edge is more parallel to the crown. These are more common and even worn coins you spot this gap.

(I realise my no gap is aFine and my gap coin in VF).

Also a flawless 1984 and 1985 coin set.

I am starting a new thread where I will show my UK coin collection as it grows, first Florins then half crowns - so other people get a chance on this thread too!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7602 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  04:25 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice halfcrowns, Princetane and Zookeeperz!

Quote:
It is the scarce but no rare "Colon to pearl" variety

i was unaware there was such a variety I'll have to check mine.

It's also worth remembering that back in December 1969 when British halfcrowns were demonetized, they were a high-value coin. Two shillings and sixpence could buy a cheap lunch at a Lyon's Corner House, or buy six first-class postage stamps. So, apart from collectors, most people handed them in. I've heard somewhere that 96% of the halfcrowns in circulation in 1969 were returned to The Royal Mint for melting down. Pre-1947 ones would have been hoarded to some extent due to their silver content, so it's possible that a higher proportion of those survive than the later cupro-nickel ones.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1471 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  06:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found it on the All coins values website, that page is amazing, and he has done most of the British coins from 1800 from fractional farthings up. He is up to crowns now and he has done NZ, Australia and a big part of America too.

Its a big go to for me.

Interesting about the halfcrowns, they did have some buying power. In my thread on NZ coins I mention the Kiwi ones were demonitised in May 1965 well ahead of Decimal day so they would not be confused for proposed 50 cent coins which were nearly same size.

In 1965 Postage increased from 3d to 4d and thus the coin got 7 stamps or 10 2nd class ones (Unsealed mail). Also a TT2 (Iceblock cost 3d) and a scoop of chips was 9d. Papers and milk were 3d a pint, although heading up to 4d which was daylight robbery in those days!
Page: of 123 Previous TopicReplies: 1,838 / Views: 151,338Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05