Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your United Kingdom (Great Britain) Coin Acquisitions.

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 1,897 / Views: 155,488Next Topic
Page: of 127
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1641 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2020  1:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those two are lovely, the 1920, 21 and most 22 coins had that 10% nickel content, so you get that real whitish colour, my 1921 is about the same grade (Maybe fractionally higher towards the near EF category). However I notice worn ones go a gungy green colour. Luckily yours has not.

But that shilling is beautiful and very well struck, a real sweet piece and I love its lustre and detail too.

Those half crowns were out of the box for me, I don't typically buy things like that often and my credit card is burning at the moment. You have some really nice pieces too.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Learn More...
United States
92278 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2020  3:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here are the latest 2 additions 1921 Half Crown mid grade VF and a really nice 1922 Silver shilling. 1922 Is extremely hard to get even well struck Let alone in Aunc/UNC.
Beautiful pair.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7727 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2020  4:15 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice coins zookeeperz - you hardly ever see coins of 1920-22 in such lovely condition. People at the time tended to put away the last of the 92.5% fine silver coins, and the 50% silver just got spent - and, as Princetane says, those early half-silver coins wore very badly.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
409 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2020  09:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zookeeperz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Had to buy these. If I told you how much they all come to you would shout LIAR lols . So I won't. I actually felt a bit like dick Turpin but even he wore a Mask . A gaggle of farthings a few VF but majority are EF-UNC . Some lovely coins amongst them 1918-1936 with just 1926 not part of this set. And 1938-40 George VI Wren farthings I probably have it in another box somewhere Plus I have both 1918+1919 in UNC somewhere. On a new PC so all the pictures 56k of them from 7 years of clicking are on the old 1

Learn More...
United States
92278 Posts
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1641 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2020  12:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely group of farthings and so nice to see them together. They don't have the high high values of gold and silver, but coins like this are not easy to find.

Farthings, halfpennies and pennies were used heavily and most were just trashed from decades of use and rough handling, so coins like this - you know someone put them aside.

I am also blessed with a beautiful group of farthings as well and its good to see these cute little coins have a lot more fans!

Some of mine for you! 1910s most EF but a couple are cleaned.

My 1920s with an UNC 1928

Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Edited by Princetane
11/18/2020 12:34 pm
Learn More...
United States
92278 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2020  1:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am also blessed with a beautiful group of farthings as well and its good to see these cute little coins have a lot more fans!
Looking good as well!
Pillar of the Community
Australia
873 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2020  11:49 pm  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Zookeeper if someone offer that price and you don't feel too much shame especially the lower end coins most people don't understand that when it comes to coin collecting some times its the shiny ones that count. when you score coppers close to melt it really does feel like stealing. Nice Set of Coppers , still makes you a lair tho .

Princetane harder to get a full set over here is my guess the shipping alone kills any thought of trying. Nice brownies.
Edited by ryurazu
11/18/2020 11:55 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
409 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2020  12:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zookeeperz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok Ok since you twisted my arm for once i'll divulge And I think it was a little bit of xmas come early Including postage 21 coins receipt below. I'd say a steal is a slight understatement
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1641 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2020  1:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a good price!

Farthings are really underappreciated by collectors I think, we are all chasing the gold and silver and even with bronze, its the pennies, and fractional farthings that get all the love.

The farthing is barely noticed and the poor halfpenny seems the least loved.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1624 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2020  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the farthing - as far as British bronze goes it is an achievable series (mostly).
Pillar of the Community
United States
603 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2020  09:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add otto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like copper and bronze and I think farthings are elegant. Here's my 20th century ones. I think I've already posted 19th century sporadically.

Learn More...
United States
92278 Posts
Valued Member
United States
395 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2020  11:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would post a few pics but all of a sudden I can not . When I hit the chose file on the upload image box nothing happens
Valued Member
United Kingdom
487 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2020  07:13 am  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This one just in for me - Denier for Edward the Black Prince minted in Limoges. This was in the period when the Kings of England still had substantial lands in France. Edward was the son of Edward III of England and administered some of the lands in France during his father's reign. He died before his father, so no coins were issued in his name in England and we jumped a generation to Richard II.
The history sold it to me rather than the handsomeness of the coin itself, although getting a profile on a Plantagenet coin is rare enough.

Page: of 127 Previous TopicReplies: 1,897 / Views: 155,488Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.89 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05