Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your United Kingdom (Great Britain) Coin Acquisitions.

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2,216 / Views: 174,351Next Topic
Page: of 148
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
605 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2021  11:01 am  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A few nice upgrades won at auction last week:

Learn More...
United States
99300 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2021  12:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Outstanding!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
796 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2021  5:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tom Goodheart to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, very nice Paddy!
Valued Member
United States
193 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2021  5:58 pm  Show Profile   Check daltonista's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Excellent Victoria piece, Paddy!
I'm guessing 1/2d, but there's really no way to tell its denomination without eyeballing it for size, am I right?
Best to all ~
Tom
"I ain't good-looking, but I'm willing to try."
--- Dave "Snaker" Ray: 'It's All Right,' 1963
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
605 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2021  03:30 am  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes - the 1841 and 1772 are both Halfpennies, the Woods 1723 is a farthing.

It is difficult to sport the differences between the Victorian coppers without scale, but not impossible. On the pennies, the Queen's nose points between the C and T of Victoria. On the halfpennies it is between the T and O. On the farthings it is to the C of Victoria and much closer to it.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17275 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2021  08:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Nice coins!
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2492 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2021  02:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First post by me in a while, just one coin.

I have a dozen of these in "average" condition - but how many do you see in AU condition. Because its a common year (74 million) and base metal - people were less likely to put them aside "Hey I have this 1905 halfcrown! " "So what I have a 1948 one "

Anyway it is shiny and looks as nice as my 1940s sylver halfcrowns!
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8508 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2021  04:00 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great 1948 halfcrown, Princetane!

You're right, you hardly ever see Uncirculated British George VI cupro-nickel coins. Everyone was putting away the silver ones and the cupro-nickel ones just got ignored! I am just old enough to remember that in the late 1960s practically every single halfcrown in circulation in England was dated 1948 - there was a huge mintage that year but nobody saved any!
Edited by NumisRob
02/17/2021 12:23 pm
Learn More...
United States
99300 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2021  08:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
First post by me in a while, just one coin.
Sometimes one is all you need.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2492 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2021  12:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Too true NumisRob

It is the same here, every Halfcrown in NZ in the 60s was dated 1950 and almost none were not VG to high Fine, my 2 in the downunder thread were almost unique.

I think early Cupronickel looks a lot nicer when it shines, Cupronickel like silver gets quite dull when it wears.

JBuck, I would have won more coins to show, but either I get outbid now or I forget the closing time and the auction closes before I expect it too.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Learn More...
United States
99300 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2021  2:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
JBuck, I would have won more coins to show, but either I get outbid now or I forget the closing time and the auction closes before I expect it too.
Any success with auction wins ought to be commended. The misses are a part of the journey I expect.

I have only bid on a few, won none. All my successful online purchases have been BIN.
Pillar of the Community
United States
755 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2021  7:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MartiVltori to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is my latest from the British Isles.
AR Penny - Cnut

Struck: 1016 - 1035
Mint: London (Moneyer: Eadred)
Size: 18.24mm
Weight: 1.0g
Ref: North 790

Obv: +CNU-T RECX, bust left holding scepter.
Rev: +EDRED ON LVNDE, voided short cross.

Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2492 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2021  9:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is stunning a real lovely piece.

1000 years old and from a King known for his attempt to control the tide. Canute was also a Dane and king of Denmark!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
605 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2021  03:55 am  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To be fair to Cnut, he didn't try to control the tide. His obsequious courtiers kept flattering him as the most powerful king in the world - so powerful that even nature obeyed him. He went to the beach to prove them wrong!

Nice coin by the way. Was that from the DNW auction?
Pillar of the Community
United States
755 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2021  09:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MartiVltori to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Paddy, no this was not purchased from that auction.

My favorite notable factoid about Cnut; As King of England, Denmark and Norway, he brought a long absent period of relative peace and a reprieve by defending England from Viking invaders. Most of whom were ironically under his own command. :)
Edited by MartiVltori
02/19/2021 09:44 am
Page: of 148 Previous TopicReplies: 2,216 / Views: 174,351Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05