Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your United Kingdom (Great Britain) Coin Acquisitions.

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2,216 / Views: 173,909Next Topic
Page: of 148
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2492 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2021  12:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, what a beautiful way to get into a hobby. To a young child and really still most of us - finding something that old would have just been amazing!
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
459 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2021  06:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zookeeperz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's one for you Prince. The very rare Reverse B 1937 .500 Silver proof two Shillings D.2071. Marker for the variety is D of IND on the reverse points between two border teeth. Normal reverse A the D points directly at the tooth. I have both issues the proof and the circulation issue. There is an * on the value of the Proof indicating to be verified it exists.

Learn More...
United States
99075 Posts
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2492 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  06:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice, I have 2 very different coins here, I am not even sure if they are allowed on this thread being Channel island coins.

Both celebrate William the Conquerer and his conquest of England in 1066, a nonocentenary item!

Jersey's coin was tried and true a huge crown for 5 shillings and showing their shield with the dates. This was Jersey's first crown sized coin (But not their last) and its my favourite one of the 1960s Crowns (the 1960 UK and 1965 Churchill pale next to this). They also strangely use the old fashioned crowned colonial portrait of the Queen, you find on coins from places like Hong Kong, Fiji and Malaya.

Guernsey did something completely different.

They went for a rhombus/lozenge thing with rounded corners and the face value of 10/- for their coin, added a modern Machin portrait of the Queen (Earliest British overseas use of it I think).

Plus they also showed a portrait of William (Likely a reconstruction as all the contemporary images of him are stylised or figurative (Like the BayeuxTapestry)).

Neither coin had a very high mintage and both were base metals - still interesting and cheap pieces. I also suspect the British may have been testing ideas for the new 50 pence piece with the Guernsey coin, but obviously did not like it and went back to the drawing board.

The coin is the first truly weird shape in British coin designing (Unless you count the Brass Threepences).

The shape had also been debuted in the Bahamas coinage of 1966 with the 15 cent coin being on a smaller planchet that this one. That set also included the just bizarre scalloped 10 cent coin.

The Guernsey coin was also on a much smaller planchet (25mm square) and weighed the same as a Florin. Possibly as it was not to be confused with lower value Florins and Shillings (Assuming they may have circulated). Both Islands had small value bronze coins and even 3d coins - but coins 6d and up were British ones until decimalisation when every territory, offshore island and bailiwick got their own or a shared coinage.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Edited by Princetane
04/09/2021 06:41 am
Learn More...
United States
99075 Posts
Valued Member
United Kingdom
130 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  12:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gainn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One interesting looking 1921 penny from a small collection I acquired today.

:edit
Several of the other coins in the collection have similar colours. It's on the top one (not actually sure what it is) but the camera isn't picking it up as well.
Jersey one is another I'm not familiar with but has similar tones.

Edited by Gainn
04/10/2021 7:52 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3881 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  01:29 am  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Recent acquisition 1847 Gothic Crown
Edited by Pacificoin
04/12/2021 01:30 am
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8479 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  03:21 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pacificoin - magnificent! Is that the standard or the plain edge proof? I've never seen one with cameo effect like that!

Gainn - it looks to me as though that 1921 penny has been cleaned and polished. It's certainly not original lustre. Fortunately as it's a very common date there's no real harm done, but it would be sad to see a 1919KN or 1926 Modified Effigy treated like that!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
586 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  04:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Yes Gainn, they've been polished at some time.
The top coin in the group photo is a George II halfpenny.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
130 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  07:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gainn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1921 has been polished in the past but I can't see obvious signs of deliberate polishing on the others that have the strong patina. Just thought the colours were interesting.

The lady that I got them off used to do a lot of enamelled coins so they were probably batch cleaned.

This was a bag of what I'd consider "holiday change" (including IOM, harps, pfennigs and tokens) that I only paid a few quid for so can't complain.
Learn More...
United States
99075 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  08:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
One interesting looking 1921 penny from a small collection I acquired today.
Nice mix!

Quote:
Recent acquisition 1847 Gothic Crown
Outstanding!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3881 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  11:49 am  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ numisrob
Purchased in your country on one of my last buying trips
Before COVID-19 .
It is the standard lettered edge , Sterling silver version.
Due to the typical light patchy hairlines found on these
NGC called it a Proof 63 Cameo .
Not sure what to do with it , it is in inventory but I do
like it .
I fondly remember the first Gothic I bought , many many years ago
at Charing X under the Arches , a cracker for 800 .
Those were the days !
Edited by Pacificoin
04/12/2021 11:58 am
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
600 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  2:56 pm  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Picked up these two yesterday.
First is an Armorican Gallo-Belgic billon Stater class 2 from around 75 to 50BC. I had this coin for identification a couple of years ago and have now got it in my collection in a swap for a Republican Roman Denarius.
Second is a Durotriges Silver Stater, S366 in Spink, dating between 50BC and 50AD, though probably early in this window as the coins debased to billon and then bronze as Rome conquered Gaul. The Durotriges were a Celtic tribe based in South West England - Dorset and surrounding area, and this coin was found in Upwey in 1987.

Learn More...
United States
99075 Posts
Valued Member
United Kingdom
130 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  4:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gainn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That Gothic is beautiful.
No matter how many times I look at one of those I'm shocked by how much intricate detail they put into it.
Page: of 148 Previous TopicReplies: 2,216 / Views: 173,909Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 3.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05