Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your United Kingdom (Great Britain) Coin Acquisitions.

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2,218 / Views: 174,454Next Topic
Page: of 148
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
590 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I'm loving those Paddy. Most envious indeed.
Gainn, your George II halfpenny; sorry, I forgot to mention earlier, it's the Irish issue 1736-1760.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
676 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  4:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
an Armorican Gallo-Belgic billon Stater class 2 from around 75 to 50BC

A beautiful depiction of a horse on that one! And a charming boar with a very pointy nose

Thanks for sharing!
Valued Member
United Kingdom
138 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  5:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gainn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
your George II halfpenny; sorry, I forgot to mention earlier, it's the Irish issue 1736-1760.

Thanks.
I found it after George II was mentioned. The other side is trashed, but I can see 17 --- 6 so must be a 60.
There's a couple of other bigger coppers with harps on but the detail is smooshed so badly I can't get a photo of any of it.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17287 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  10:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Recent acquisition 1847 Gothic Crown

Very nice coin!
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2493 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  11:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Like the Gothic crown, unlike the other one, yours looks like the real deal and has the toning to prove it. That coin is a pipe dream for me, thank goodness for its more affordable baby sisters - the Gothic Florins!

PaddyB, I love those early coins, the most historic and most interesting and a great back story too.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2493 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  01:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My old coin store reopened in a local mall and I had a buy up from them for the first time in 20 years!!

NumisRob will love this one, an 1837 Halfcrown - except mine cost a bit more than 25p in 1971. It's a scarce coin and more scarce than 1905. This cleaned VG+ example is a good level for me and is about the same as my other Willy Halfcrowns (I would die for a gVF or better Halfcrown of his - I have EF or better coins of all rulers after 1800 except G3, him and EdwardVII (Although I have VF of him!).

1880, decent Fine/gFine coin - great piece sans that nick on it. I love it and it fills a date I don't have, but back in 2001 when my teenage collection got stolen, one of the coins was this date in aEF, so a bit of a come down.

1887 Jubilee, I already had this coin in gVG (Decent piece) but at $55 for a gVF example I got this one. A lot more detail and some lustre. I always thought 1887 was the commonest date of the Jubilees, but its actually the most scarce with 1892 and 1891!.

Again bad memories to the fore, my teenage collection had an UNC 1887 with retina blinding lustre.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2493 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  01:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fortunately my teenage coin collection did not feature any Florins before then 1910s, so it gets happier

1887 Jubilee Florin - this is a smashing coin, toned EF and when you look at the detail you know it is (Victoria has much more detail here than on the Halfcrown above). Shame about the purple stain though - still I only paid $60 (-a 15% discount they gave me).

It completes my Jubilee Florins, 8 months ago I had none!

1906 Eddie Florin, I love this design and this gFine coin has the full date and is very clean (Probably too clean). At $35 it was a steal.

It also completes my 1906 - 1910 Florins, now for the harder 4 years (Like 1905 as with the Halfcrown).
Learn More...
United States
99342 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  08:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My old coin store reopened in a local mall and I had a buy up from them for the first time in 20 years!!
Excellent!

Great adds!
Valued Member
United Kingdom
138 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  08:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gainn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've got a few of that design florin where the date is mostly illegible despite the rest of it being reasonably good. Beautiful but frustrating coin.
Not the greatest condition, but at least the date is there.
Edited by Gainn
04/13/2021 09:14 am
Learn More...
United States
99342 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  11:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Not the greatest condition, but at least the date is there.
Fantastic!
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2493 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  2:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, that is a nice coin Gainn, any Eddie Florin is beautiful, but any with a date is magnificent. It is about the same as my 1910. The 1906 I showed along with my 1908/09 are the same, only my 1907 is better.

For a new member, you have some really good coins already! My guess is you were bit by the coin bug a while ago!
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2493 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  2:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gainn, I think yours and mine 1907 and 1910 florins are twins.

My 1907

Full VF

My 1908 - 1910 group, all Fineish

I have a 190? as well, but it is very worn and dateless!
Valued Member
United Kingdom
138 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  4:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gainn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The ones where most of the date is erased.
Looking at them with filters makes me think they are L-R: 04,06 and the 3rd one shows x90x (in the right light) but it has one tiny line at the top of where the last digit would be that makes me think its an 05.

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
590 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  5:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I have quite a nice 1906.

Valued Member
United Kingdom
138 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  5:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gainn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are really elegant coins.

Quote:
For a new member, you have some really good coins already! My guess is you were bit by the coin bug a while ago!

My nan gave me one of her coins that I'd always been fascinated by about 5 years ago and that reignited my interest, but it's only the last year that I've been actively acquiring them.
I'll grab shots of the one she gave me and edit in a sec.

Edited by Gainn
04/13/2021 5:32 pm
Page: of 148 Previous TopicReplies: 2,218 / Views: 174,454Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05