Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your United Kingdom (Great Britain) Coin Acquisitions.

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2,245 / Views: 178,680Next Topic
Page: of 150
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2669 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  06:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow lots of new members and coins here lately.

Great the thread had been slowing off a bit lately.

Nice Florins and the 1799 Halfpenny is not bad, high VG possibly cleaned historically.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
142 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  07:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gainn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
the 1799 Halfpenny is not bad, high VG possibly cleaned historically

Yeah, there is some signs under the muck that it's been brushed. I got a couple of other halfpennies from the same collection and they all show some crosshatching.
Got this bundle for the princely sum of 1 from the same person.

Nothing earth shattering but I didn't have that style of Guernsey thrup.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
634 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  11:09 am  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This one just in to complete my run of Queen Anne Halfcrowns:

Valued Member
United Kingdom
142 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  11:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gainn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Whoever did this hatchet job needs a stern talking to.

Edited by Gainn
04/16/2021 3:04 pm
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2669 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  3:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PaddyB - that is a "Sweet" Annie you have there. Very nice and neat coin.

Gainn, I agree especially as it is already a very decent coin. They needed to realise that type of cleaning was more corrosive on pre 1860 coins as they were copper and not bronze.

I would say it maybe citric with steel wool. Citric is the old put the coins a jar with lemon or orange jucie type thing.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
142 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  4:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gainn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I agree especially as it is already a very decent coin. They needed to realise that type of cleaning was more corrosive on pre 1860 coins as they were copper and not bronze.

Yeah, the oxidation and oil corrosion is fragile on these.. I'm really not sure what to do with this one because a couple of those scratches are fairly deep and the normal tricks to tone them down haven't really worked.
As it's already been attacked, I'm semi-tempted to do a full sympathetic clean and let the process start from fresh.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2669 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  9:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No such thing as a sympathetic clean.

ALL cleaning is BAD CLEANING!

Leave the coin alone, you will just make things worse. Cleaning is never the way to go.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
142 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  05:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gainn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Today's first pick up.

(sort of) gap-filler. It's not horrible but I will get a better one at some point.

Edited by Gainn
04/17/2021 07:30 am
Valued Member
United Kingdom
477 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  07:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zookeeperz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nothing Spectacular picked up a couple of bits. A previously cleaned and re-toning 1826 George IV .925 Silver Shilling. Beats me why they would even attempt to clean the coin. As far as I can see it didn't have anything that would of needed it and for detail the coin is EF. I would imagine it wasn't far short of AU until someone let loose the cleaning gear. No matter how light it just spoils what was a beautiful coin. And another 1937 Two Shillings .500 silver that lied to me in the picture wasn't the reverse B I thought it was. So not a spectacular weekend but not an expensive one. Always have to add caution in to any buys as a must

Valued Member
United Kingdom
142 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  08:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gainn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A previously cleaned and re-toning 1826 George IV .925 Silver Shilling.

Call me a heathen (I probably am), but I really like how the obverse looks on that one and I think it will look gorgeous when the highlights have mellowed in more.
It's a shame when someone attacks a coin that nice, but I've seen far, far worse jobs (The halfpennies I recently got appear to have been repeatedly attacked by Freddy Krueger for example).
I've had trouble getting a really nice '37. That one is better than most I've seen offered recently.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
142 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  11:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gainn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jist going through a mixed bad of 3 and 6 pences my grandad gave me and this was in there.
It's broken so I am obliged to list it on eBay for (at least) 5 grand, right?

(kidding obviously)
I would assume this is delamination?
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
634 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  1:44 pm  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Edited by PaddyB
04/17/2021 1:46 pm
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2669 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  10:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gainn, try 5 and I am sure you will get some biters.

Zoo - Welcome to my world, nearly every nice 19th century British coin I buy here is cleaned, (The 1887 florin was one of the few that was not) and its frustrating, but at the same time you can at leasy get a real coin with little wear. That shilling is beautiful.
Pillar of the Community
Turkey
794 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  10:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add molydeii to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

My favourite Half Crown amongst the ones that I own. I bought this from a dealer in Edinburgh sometime around 2010-2011 for 33,50.
My tradelist and some wanted items are here! : http://goccf.com/t/398127
Valued Member
United Kingdom
142 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  1:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gainn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice half crown. I don't think you'd get that for 33 quid now..

A few shillings mixed in with the bag of 3 and 6's.
The 1927 looks really tonally different so not sure what's going on there.

Page: of 150 Previous TopicReplies: 2,245 / Views: 178,680Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05