Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your United Kingdom (Great Britain) Coin Acquisitions.

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2,216 / Views: 174,234Next Topic
Page: of 148
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2492 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  2:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gainn - I suspect your 1927 may be the binary alloy used between 1922 and 1927. When they dropped from Sterling Silver to Half silver in 1920 they went through 3 phases of mixing until they got the balance right.

1. Tertiary 1920/22 - 50% silver, 40% copper and 10% nickel as a whitener. They wanted to keep the coins the same colour as sterling but found they started life too white/opaquey and then turned a gungy green/yellow colour as any worn 1921 coin will attest. My thread shows a high grade 21 halfcrown that looks way too white.

1921 Coin with overly white colour from excessive nickel.

2. Binary 1922/27 - They got rid of the nickel and just had 50/50 silver and copper - this gave a more pleasing and natural coin when fresh, however when they wore nasty black or brown spots came out and the coin wore to a light muddy brown like your 1925 Florin.

Back of a 1925 floirn with mud brown stains near bottom and ugly brown/yellow wear.

3. Quarternary 1927/46 to 1964 Australia, the mix was changed to 50% silver and 40% copper, 5% nickel and also 5% Zinc which stopped the discolouration and they had to be made with copper and silver mixed first before nickel was added and zinc helped them bond too. These coins wore black/grey just like the old sterling coins did.

Your 27 coin is still a high Fine, so not that worn - but black brown dots are emerging and this gives the yellowy colour.

Molydeii - Great Halfcrown!!!
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Edited by Princetane
04/18/2021 8:45 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
136 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gainn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info.. :) another thing to look out for when buying coins from those years.
Some pretty nice looking threepences in the bag too. Going to leave the 6's till tomorrow.

Edited by Gainn
04/18/2021 3:19 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
459 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  08:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zookeeperz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely 1916 .925 Silver shilling Hailing from the era of George V. Solid AU for me and super mint lustre.My lighting isn't very good so the camera was straining to pick up the detail which on kojack would probably be easier

Valued Member
United Kingdom
136 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  08:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gainn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Lovely 1916 .925 Silver shilling

So shiny.
Learn More...
United States
99225 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8504 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  6:12 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin, zookeeperz!

I'm afraid I've bought another of The Royal Mint's NCLT 50 pences - I know I really shouldn't encourage them, as it'll only make them bring out more...
Valued Member
United Kingdom
136 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gainn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was temped by the coloured set of those but still umming and ahhing..

Plus they have those 1847 Gothic Crowns that keep me wondering how many body parts I'd need to sell to buy one.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
136 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  05:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gainn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First of today's pickups.

Learn More...
United States
99225 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  09:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm afraid I've bought another of The Royal Mint's NCLT 50 pences...

Quote:
First of today's pickups.
Very nice!
Valued Member
United Kingdom
136 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  09:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gainn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Something a bit shinier..

Valued Member
United Kingdom
459 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  09:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zookeeperz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fresh off the boat from some where in the EU I think 1807 Copper Penny George III Soho mint. 34mm and 3mm thick 18.50 grams Lovely example the oblique grained edges are original colour still. This was possibly struck from the rusted proof die as there are some small areas of rust patches and would account for an extremely good strike. normally the lettering on these George III pennies are flawed and many not struck up properly and there is really no are of weakness and the shield heraldic design is quite impressive for a coin 300 years old

Valued Member
United Kingdom
136 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  09:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gainn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That looks like some really posh chocolate.. Very nice indeed.
Learn More...
United States
99225 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  11:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Something a bit shinier..

Quote:
1807 Copper Penny George III Soho mint.
Very nice!
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2492 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Again Gainn, you just keep hitting bullseyes with your purchases, that 1916 Florin is a game changer. You definitely seem to be getting better Florins than me, even your 1932 is a stunner given how hard quality examples from that year is.

Zookeeperz, love it I have never seen those coins that shiny!
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
136 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  3:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gainn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
that 1916 Florin is a game changer.

Some days you're the windshield, some days you're the bug..
I think I was the windshield today..
Couple more from today.. Only need a '13 to complete that set now.

Page: of 148 Previous TopicReplies: 2,216 / Views: 174,234Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05