Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your United Kingdom (Great Britain) Coin Acquisitions.

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 2,454 / Views: 193,257Next Topic
Page: of 164
Valued Member
United Kingdom
498 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2021  3:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zookeeperz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No rarities just nice inexpensive orphans that needed new homes..1946,1958,1964 Half Pennies 1861 and 1912 Pennies

Learn More...
United States
106270 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
665 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2021  6:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moose59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1897 Farthing picked it up in a swap, I like that it is a dark finish.

Learn More...
United States
106270 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2021  09:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
1897 Farthing picked it up in a swap, I like that it is a dark finish.
Outstanding!
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3148 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2021  06:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All of those bronzes are great and I love that 1927 Halfcrown of the new style. Interesting how some of these proofs got out into circulation (I think Numis Rob or someone else showed a 1927 halfcrown that clearly had some wear on it). Yours is VF and even heading down into the Fines, so spent a while till and pocket jumping!

Maybe in 1927 somebody bought up a whole lot of proof sets and thought it would be hilarious to put coins into circulation!

The 1860s pennies are kazillion times nicer than the 1860s pennies I have (Including the private ones minted for Kiwi businessmen!).

Zookeeperz - love those bronzes, that 1861 is a real stunner. Moose that is a very nice 1897 - maybe one of the earliest "burnished" pennies issued.

PS - the 1899 Florin finally arrived.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Edited by Princetane
08/18/2021 06:30 am
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
694 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2021  05:31 am  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Turned up yesterday at market:

Learn More...
United States
106270 Posts
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3148 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2021  12:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I need to go to your market!

Anywhere that has 1839 Groats on sale is somewhere I want to be.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
694 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2021  03:58 am  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A bit of a long trek for you @Princetane but you are welcome any time! I have a coin stall at the market and I sell lots of British, foreign and ancient coins. The great thing is people bring me their unwanted/inherited coins for me to buy.
The 1839 Groat was a single coin and cost me 10. This one was a slight upgrade for me, so the old incumbent will now move on.
The 1908 AU penny was one of 8 in a box with some modern junk. Each 1908 was in similar condition!
The 1917 sixpence and 1926 half crown (not ME version) were in a bunch of Whitman folders, which included virtually complete date runs of all British 20th century coins, bronze and silver but not Crown, plus pennies back to 1860. Given me plenty of work sorting through those, and not done yet.
This is how I like to build my collection!
Valued Member
United Kingdom
498 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2021  09:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zookeeperz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another Barmaids Ruin Double Florin 1889. Poor Picture. One day i'll discover how to get the lustre to show . First one I have found that doesn't have those nasty cleaning scars all over or the smell of polish. Really nice lustre full bloom. GEF/AU . Although it was Bought as BUNC I am a little harsh on grading probably because I use high magnification on pictures so what looks like a tram line is either invisible under a graders loupe or almost negligible. Tiny nick on the neck.

Most of us know the term "Barmaids Ruin" a term used back in Victorian days in the Taverns Double Florins and crowns were often mistaken for each other So the poor barmaids who gave change from a crown instead of a double florin had to make up the shortfall from their own pockets.

Learn More...
United States
106270 Posts
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3148 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2021  9:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with you, a stunning coin there. Good lustre.

Agree about grading, I see the lightest rubbing on the top parts of Victoria's cheek, the high points of the veil near the edge of it and her hair. Also on the very tops of the crowns.

However finding a truly UNC coin of this era would be very hard and this one would grade a solid AU in my book and a very high AU. For such large coins made on machines, I would find the bag marks and contact marks on the fields expected. 1889 was not a proof year and all the coins were minted in the "Fall off the hopper into a basket way".

Someone has gone to great pains to keep it looking beautiful all these years.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
498 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2021  05:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zookeeperz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Picked up a few cheap coins that just begged to be rehomed . 2x 1919 pennies nicely lustred and as usual obverses are softly struck . Nice lustre around EF one having the infamous crow foot, bird claw anomaly. I cant remember so bear with me I believe this is caused from a die clash rather than the ghosting effect we see on most of George V pennies concerning the incuse area between the knees. Again from my diluted memory there are a few years that now and then throw this anomaly up. also a real nice genuine 1929 Half crown . It has a wonderful full bloom white wine colour in the lustre. You can see from the lines on the reverse this was obviously struck from an older die. The raised areas are pretty much untouched yet the design is soft and not as sharp as on an early strike . Just a pleasant coin that isn't bashed up like most of 1929's are EF/GEF

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
9583 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2021  05:38 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coins, zookeeperz - agree, seldom seen in this condition (especially the halfcrown).
Learn More...
United States
106270 Posts
Page: of 164 Replies: 2,454 / Views: 193,257Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.57 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: