Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your United Kingdom (Great Britain) Coin Acquisitions.

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 2,363 / Views: 188,491Next Topic
Page: of 158
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
9292 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2021  08:32 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just received a couple of coins this morning that I bought from Corbitts' annual auction:

A type gap filler - a George I 1716 crown. Prior to this I had no crowns between Queen Anne and George III:

... and, not so nice, a gap filler and a scarce coin in any condition - an 1827 penny. Usually found with corrosion and verdigris caused by seawater exposure during shipment to Australia!

Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3015 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2021  01:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NumisRob - I love that Crown - George I silver is very hard to get, his reign eludes me completely (I have no halfcrowns between my 1709 Anne and 1731 George II).

The 1827 Copper also comes with a great story - we don't see many of these here and 90% of all our George IV copper is dated 1826!

But I have a new piece finally and its another upgrade. AndyG sold me a fairly worn but decent 1829 Halfcrown - but I have just brought this one of the same date - its a solid good Fine heading towards VF piece and has some circulation cameo.

Photo is the sellers - they seem to take better photos of all my new coins that myself!

I would say that obverse is getting on VF, but I think George is no more than Fine +.

Still a nice example of a scarce coin.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Learn More...
United States
104611 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2021  09:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just received a couple of coins this morning that I bought from Corbitts' annual auction:

Quote:
AndyG sold me a fairly worn but decent 1829 Halfcrown - but I have just brought this one of the same date - its a solid good Fine heading towards VF piece and has some circulation cameo.
Excellent adds!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
9292 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2021  2:15 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
its a solid good Fine heading towards VF piece and has some circulation cameo.

Yes, that's a very respectable George IV halfcrown, Princetane! And I agree - nearly all the George IV copper coins I see here in England are dated 1826!
Edited by NumisRob
09/13/2021 2:15 pm
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3015 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2021  11:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, this group are starting my SHILLINGS collection. They are pretty worn and below average examples, but the price was so attractive!

Silver coins - worn but I paid UNDER melt value for them - the worn Victorian coin is 1882, a less common one and the KGVI era stuff is decent. Those 1920 - 22 shillings are nightmarish though.

The Cupronickel coins - some duplication, but most of these dates I don't have.

The joy of the silvers is that they fill gaps until I get some "quality" examples and then can be resold as melters or to another collector for what I paid for them!

Every great collection starts somewhere. My halfcrowns and florins started off with some humble pieces and look what happened!
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Learn More...
United States
104611 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
9292 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2021  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice haul, Princetane!
Pillar of the Community
United States
707 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  7:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add otto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just received. Has noticeable wear along left side of veil. Not sure how it would grade. Opinions invited.

Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3015 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Otto - nice halfcrown - yes there is a huge gulf in condition with these, they remain very dull up to Good Fine and then from gVF onwards they are barely different from UNC.

My opinion is that your coin is the highest levels of VF, pushing towards EF - I will say aEF (British grading, NOT sheldon in which its easily AU50).

The hair on the forehead below veil is flat meaning its not EF, but there is a lot of detail on the lower part of the coin with medal etc. The otherside looks good but you can see clear and quite moderate wear on the garter buckles, the belt clip and on the various devices, lion faces, harp strings and the like.

These can have weak strikes, but the wear is fairly even on your coin. Still this is a very nice example and usually the best these coins get outside of 1887 (The year everyone saved one, despite the lowish mintage).
Valued Member
United States
358 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Check daltonista's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
otto: Not sure how it would grade. Opinions invited.

If I were buying that in Britain, I expect it would be offered at VF, "or nearly so." Pretty nonetheless.
I never pay too much for my tokens...but every now and then I may buy one a little too soon.
Australia
16 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2021  02:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinanthebarb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't own many British coins, but you all might like to see this:
1953 QEII proof set.

The photos of the individual coins are the penny & crown out of the set.

Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3015 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2021  02:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely set, love the tone on that penny. Very nice and thanks for showing them.

First post of yours I have seen.

Daltonista - don't you think you are grading a bit harsh on Otto's halfcrown, it is at least gVF.
Edited by Princetane
09/17/2021 02:46 am
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
9292 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2021  04:09 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice additions, otto and Coinanthebarb! Agree with Princetane about that lovely halfcrown.

The Royal Mint seems to have reached their peak of case production with the 1953 proof set: I've never seen one with the original case where the coins are badly tarnished. On the other hand the 1950 and 1951 sets were in much shoddier cases, and there were problems too with the inserts in the plastic cases used for the 1970s proof sets.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
494 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2021  08:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zookeeperz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Couple of the smaller coins size wise . A very nice Practically as struck 1911 Unlisted 1 over lower 1 .925 Silver Threepence (not Maundy issue) and a Scarce GVF/AEF 1949 Brass Threepence.

Learn More...
United States
104611 Posts
Page: of 158 Replies: 2,363 / Views: 188,491Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05