Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your United Kingdom (Great Britain) Coin Acquisitions.

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 2,366 / Views: 188,666Next Topic
Page: of 158
Learn More...
United States
104701 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  08:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I bought some more shillings, mostly George VI to fill the gaps and cheaply...
Excellent group!
Pillar of the Community
United States
714 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  4:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add otto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Engraved Shilling

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
18297 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  9:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1986 UK.

--

Learn More...
United States
104701 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2021  09:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Engraved Shilling
Very nice! I like the tone, too.

Quote:
1986 UK.
Nice set!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
681 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2021  05:48 am  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Upgrade 1854 PT penny arrived yesterday:

By the way, did anyone else experience problems accessing this forum (and some other sites) yesterday? My Chrome browser picked up on unusual responses and blocked access...
Learn More...
United States
104701 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2021  09:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Upgrade 1854 PT penny arrived yesterday:
Excellent!
Valued Member
United Kingdom
494 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2021  07:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zookeeperz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well not normally my cup of tea at all but for 50 pence's it is one of the scarcer issues or should I say failed interest on release kept numbers down and created it's own false rarity by default. Since the Hunt for low mintage decimal coins took hold this and others came to the fore.
1992-93 EEC Silver Proof 50 pence it was such a ridiculous buy now price I had to have it. Would you believe it is also a Mint error too boot Sorry about the pics but my set up has real difficulty with proof coins but I think you'll see what I am trying to point to .

First E of Elizabeth has been a mis-strike or a different font E has been used you can clearly see the difference and also on another example which has both the same font E's

Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3021 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2021  05:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice Proof EEC 50p, I only have a non error Uncirculated set coin from 1993

My shilling collection now has its first stars. I bidded in 4 lots in the recent Mowbray's auction and only won 1 .

Had I won them all, I would be surrounded in UNC 1880s and 1890s Halfcrowns right now and $1600 poorer. Instead I have a few very nice shillings and are only $200 poorer. Well something had to give after a Australian Florin blow out (You can see those in the Australia part of the boards).

The Shillings

3 rows, Top - 1883 aVF, 1887 gEF 1889 large head EF/gEF,
Middle - 1887 gVF dark, 1900 gVF, 1919 aEF
Bottom - 1930 gFine (Scarce date), 1937S and 1970S Proofs.

Here is some proof that already I have moved beyond the cheap space fillers and started seriously buying quality. At under $20 (10) each these are bargains.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Edited by Princetane
10/04/2021 05:24 am
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3021 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2021  05:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The shillings one by one

1883 - described as VF, this is a bit lower (gFine - aVF) but a nice solid coin, no recent cleaning and even wear and aging. Nice to have a decent young head shilling, even if a very late and common date. Nice honest mid Victorian piece. Liberal graders may give it VF but not me. Still this is way beyond fine and above average for well used Victorian silver.

1887 - a real beauty, this is easily EF and probably a bit better, strangely like the 1889, the obverse is shinier and more detailed than Viccy who looks flatter. The Obverse could be AU but Viccy barely lands in EF territory. Not sure if its shined up or an ex proof, likely the former. A beautiful design when not worn.

Won't bother with the VF one.

1889 - Large head (They increased the Jubilee head size in 1889 and small heads like 1887 are rare). This is again a super EF obverse and less super reverse. In fact I would say the Reverse falls short of EF and would grade it aEF at best, still considering the worn flat Victorian pieces I have accumulated so far, this is a stunner and a collectible coin!

1900 - high VF another stunner, I love all the design work of Mr Poynter and Boehm and now with my Florins and Halfcrowns I have a Shilling Obverse I am proud of. Lots of detail and very clean and sharp. It lands solidly between VF and EF.

Overall, the Queen would be amused, however with shillings I intend to collect coins from much earlier queens like ones that wore heart shaped ruffs rather merely being amused!
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Edited by Princetane
10/04/2021 05:39 am
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3021 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2021  05:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This next coin was not in the lot. I bought it separately for $25 and its easily another low - mid VF piece worth over that.

1903 - a nice coin which shows some rim doubling at top and a slight rim dent, otherwise nice early piece. Unlike my KGV shillings, my Eddies so far are all good coins (Yes all 3 of them!)

Back to lot coins - 1919 the last year of sterling we have this near EF stunner, not quite on my 1917 level but close.

1919 - aEF/highest VF, again as you move to closer to EF, the shine factor goes up and unlike those prooflike Viccy coins, the standard circulation ones seem to burn the camera out, the photo does not do it justice.

The Reverse is actually better than the Obverse, the lions tail is quite flat and facial detail is less pronounced but George is very well protected and has almost no wear.

The last 3 coins I think were making up the lot as the other 6 were really the stars. Still none of them I had (The main reason I bought the lot was I had none of these coins).

1930 - Good fine but a scarce date, nice even wear and probably original condition. Surprisingly I have set the bar so low with my 50% silver shillings, this actually is better than most of them!
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3021 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2021  05:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Finally the last two shillings are proofs, both are decent examples, I suspect they are impaired as 1970 are worth little and its just Scotland only.

The 1937 is nice, but I suspect it is only AU, as it looks like wear on George's cheek and eyebrow and hence why it is has been moved away from a set. I could be wrong - you be the judge, again the camera takes poor shots of shiny proof coins. It is much more shiny in real life and its a beautiful coin.

1970 Reflection in the Obverse.

Can't see any thing wrong here - but again 1970 coins are quite easy to find.

And a bonus treat, the 2nd 1887 - a darkened high VF one.

Either badly toned or harshly cleaned.

Hope you all like them!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
9293 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2021  08:13 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some lovely shillings there, Princetane!
Learn More...
United States
104701 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2753 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2021  11:16 am  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I picked up this full red 1918 George V farthing for a few dollars on eBay. Britannia's head is weakly struck and there's a nice die crack running across the top of the reverse.

Paul Bulgerin
Learn More...
United States
104701 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2021  11:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I picked up this full red 1918 George V farthing for a few dollars on eBay. Britannia's head is weakly struck and there's a nice die crack running across the top of the reverse.
Very nice!
Page: of 158 Replies: 2,366 / Views: 188,666Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05