Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your United Kingdom (Great Britain) Coin Acquisitions.

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2,457 / Views: 193,700Next Topic
Page: of 164
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
New Zealand
3160 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2021  10:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those above - just wow.

You must have the most impressive collection of Trademen's and Tradeswomen's tokens ever. As I remember your Kiwi stuff blowed me away too.

Those Halfcrowns are beautiful, they clearly sum out how bad coin shortages were in the early 1810s, before the great recoinage of 1816/17!

I mean you have a coin there which is just 1 of 2 know, that is phenomenal. I can imagine too that not many Halfcrown tokens were made by each trader as a Halfcrown was a significant amount of money then (My guess around $20 buying power in todays money) and you could not make thousands of them like pennies and halfpennies.

I know very little about conders and tokens beyond the copper and the occasional silver 6d and 1/-. But I would guess that most of these guys probably made no more than a couple of hundred each of these halfcrown ones and likely less (Say 20 or 50 of them?).
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Edited by Princetane
10/08/2021 10:36 pm
Valued Member
United States
392 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2021  12:24 am  Show Profile   Check daltonista's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Thank you, Princetane! But one minor clarification: It wasn't my intention to imply that there are only two of those Birmingham halfcrowns known to exist...only that I've only ever seen two. I'm sure a search of auction records would turn up a handful more over the last 20 years. (...but only a handful.)

I doubt I'd be able to put my hands on it now, but I believe I read somewhere that Wright had "very few" of his halfcrowns struck, primarily to advertise his business, which was basically tea and groceries. For local merchants, as opposed to county governments, your conjecture about mintages of the various halfcrowns probably isn't very far off at all.

Meanwhile, as it happens, I do have a token from that era (1810-1820) of which only two are known to exist -- an anonymous farthing. I'll post it here when I can get around to scanning it.

As for my collection, I guess I'd have to confess it's pretty "impressive," as you suggest, to anyone who knows the field I collect, but "extensive" might be a better way to put it, and that's probably just a consequence of longevity, as I've specialized in that narrow ten-year period of British exonumia for 35 years now. The latest summary of my database, which I ran for a census about six months ago, shows about 700 in the Davis/Withers copper category, and 270 of the Davis/Dalton silver tokens, with no duplication in either count.

...and yet there are always holes to be filled, so I keep on searching. (My siblings blame it on a defective chromosome.)

I never pay too much for my tokens...but every now and then I may buy one a little too soon.

Pillar of the Community
United States
726 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2021  3:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add otto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1893 Florin

Learn More...
United States
106380 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
New Zealand
3160 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  12:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful coin, I love the detail on them.

Only one major coin this week, my first William IV shilling!

William IV coins in general are scarce here in NZ, especially shillings, I have never even seen one, let alone bought one. We seem to have a lot of 1826 G4 ones and Victorians - but none of this era.

This one is probably Fine/aFine (William is quite worn) and clean. The rim and details are good and its a decent fault free example, just happy to have it.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Edited by Princetane
10/12/2021 02:03 am
Learn More...
United States
106380 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  09:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Only one major coin this week, my first William IV shilling!
Excellent!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
New Zealand
3160 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  06:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another super late Victorian Halfcrown. It's an upgrade on a worn coin too.

1894 - essentially EF or almost so, some natural lustre, small edge bump and light tone. Obverse is easily EF, but Victoria shows more wear down to gVF/nEF. The price I paid $135 = 67 between the 25 for VF and 125 for EF for this date, seems right.

Lots of lustre and reasonable at the price. All these old head designs are the best in high grade!
Edited by Princetane
10/17/2021 06:05 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
New Zealand
3160 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  06:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I almost forgot, I brought these threepences to fill gaps. Essentially the early ones are Fine or better and include both types of 1926.

The 1920 is a bit ropey, but rest is okay. You can see the difference between 1926 old effigy and modified one - smaller portrait and thicker rim like the late 3d coins. I managed to upgrade the 22 and 25 with full VF examples I owned.

1928 - 1936 - a better group, the 28 and 30 are full VF, others almost so - I love these pretty little coins.

3d collecting when I get to it, will be easy now. Just need of the post 1918 stuff, the sterling silver 3d of 1920 (Yes they made them, and I am sure my 1920 is the 50% version (sterling coins don't tone green!), 1941 - 1945 silver and of course 1946, 1949 -51 of the brass.

I boright these as they were cheap and they look nice.
Pillar of the Community
United States
726 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2021  05:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add otto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1891 Farthing not yet received. Possibly uncirculated.

Learn More...
United States
106380 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
New Zealand
3160 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2021  03:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just can't stop flowing with the Halfcrown upgrades! Lockdown has NO effect on my coin buying abilities.

1937 Proof Halfcrown, nice proof condition, however the seller says someone has handled it and it clearly shows some light wear. This coin is gEF/AU I would say, which would place it around the rest of my George VI halfcrowns.

The novelty of having a proof coin, with only 26k minted is too good to resist though.

It came with a sibling and this Proof English shilling joins the proof scottish one I have.

Like the Halfcrown the Obverse is basically UNC Proof but the higher than ever relief of the king has enough wear to bring it down to gEF British (Thats around AU55/53 in American money).

Still I love anything shiny and Proofs if I can afford them. I got plenty of change from a hundy for these 2.
Learn More...
United States
106380 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2021  09:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Lockdown has NO effect on my coin buying abilities.

Great looking pair!
Valued Member
United Kingdom
498 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  12:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zookeeperz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some lovely coins on show there gents. I'll add my recent 2 pick ups 1911+1921 Sixpence

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
695 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  1:42 pm  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not as good as the sixpences, but this penny was a pleasing upgrade for me today and a scarce date:

Learn More...
United States
106380 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  4:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Some lovely coins on show there gents. I'll add my recent 2 pick ups 1911+1921 Sixpence

Quote:
Not as good as the sixpences, but this penny was a pleasing upgrade for me today and a scarce date:
Nice adds!
Page: of 164 Previous TopicReplies: 2,457 / Views: 193,700Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.65 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: