Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your United Kingdom (Great Britain) Coin Acquisitions.

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2,465 / Views: 194,065Next Topic
Page: of 165
Learn More...
United States
106468 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  09:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
In a moment of sheer madness I bought this on eBay - one of those coins I never dreamed I would own. A William and Mary crown dated 1691.
Fantastic!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
New Zealand
3171 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  2:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nothing "mad" about it - you should have moments of madness more often if this is what happens!

That crown is outstanding, love that conjoined portrait.
I have a chance to buy a much more worn halfcrown of the same type.

Can't wait for the "big silver" you mention!

Choices for me, buy the William and Mary or a 1905 Shilling in Fine condition. Both are $225 each - or do I get both, the shilling would be a nice addition and an easy way to knock off a "hard" date, but then again the novelty of adding a coin type I don't have to a collection of halfcrowns that has seen mostly upgrades rather than fresh coins lately.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Edited by Princetane
10/27/2021 2:13 pm
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
9594 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  2:48 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Princetane - that's a very good price for a William & Mary shilling. I've had a sixpence and halfcrown for a long time, but still don't have the shilling!

Yes, I hope to be getting some more 'big silver' next week!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
699 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The "interesting arrangement of figures" in the dates of the William and Mary Coins clearly confused the die-makers as much as everyone else, and they frequently got it wrong. Here is my 1692 Crown, with the 2 in the date struck over an upside down 2 as an example:

Learn More...
United States
106468 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  4:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here is my 1692 Crown, with the 2 in the date struck over an upside down 2 as an example:
Very interesting!
Pillar of the Community
United States
727 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  5:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add otto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just picked up a lot of 10 three pence, which includes this 1944 - a date that is elusive at a reasonable price.

Valued Member
United States
394 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  8:18 pm  Show Profile   Check daltonista's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
NumisRob wrote: One feature of this coin that I really like is the decorative interlinked Ws and Ms...

My favorite feature of this and other W&M issues is that every time I see one I'm reminded that while their coins were circulating, the couple conjoined on the obverse were actually setting up the second-oldest university in this country (the US, I mean). For over 50 years, Harvard had the exclusive on that facet of life in the English-speaking Colonies. The College of William and Mary eventually evolved from "Royal" to "Private" (with the Revolution), and finally in 1906 to "Public," so now it's part of Virginia's statewide system of higher education.

Depicted on this T. Pingo medal struck in 1772 -- during the reign of George III, but before the Revolution -- is the founding of the College, with William and Mary bestowing the Royal Charter to a scholar (probably James Blair, who was named in the Charteer as the College's first president).

Photo borrowed from HA.

I never pay too much for my tokens...but every now and then I may buy one a little too soon.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
New Zealand
3171 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's great and a hard date. The 1942/44 coins had high mintages but were mainly used for the colonies in West Indies and Malta only. I don't have any after 1940.

Here is my latest shilling an EF 1932 - Can't believe how cheap it was ($20) and that these coins have a fairly low book value, especially as 99% of KGV shillings I see are worn Fair examples with Fine ones at best.

Again photo does not do it justice, nice recessed lustre and lots of detail with an excellent rim. The black splotch on the 2 is barely visible in real life.

More creamy shillings coming soon
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
9594 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  05:48 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice additions Otto and Princetane and a beautiful medal, daltonista!
Learn More...
United States
106468 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
New Zealand
3171 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2021  04:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, Daltonista, your medal came in whilst I was posting and it is a stunner.

Just gone bananas buying shillings - lets say I have just brought my first ever 16th century coin and my first George I coin along with my 2nd James II coin. Of course a gaggle of the usual high grade 20th century stuff and late Victoriana too!

Coins I brought

All shillings

Elizabeth I - Woolpack (1594 - 1596) VG (Almost Fine)
James II - 1685 - VG+
George I - 1723 - Almost Fine
Victoria - 1888/7 - gVF
Edward VII - 1905 (Yep) - aFine/Fine
George V - 1936 AU
Elizabeth II - 1955 Scotland UNC

Photos when they arrive, which could be a week or more away, post office is having problems due to lockdown and extreme demand.

3 Coins cost very little, the others cost a lot, the first 3 all cost over $100 each and thats for low grade examples. The 1905 was the most expensive costing $200.
Edited by Princetane
10/29/2021 04:18 am
Valued Member
United States
437 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2021  9:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CentSation to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PaddyB said, "Here is my 1692 Crown, with the 2 in the date struck over an upside down 2 "

Incredible, I like that.
Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves -- Witch Hunt
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
New Zealand
3171 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2021  03:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are the new arrivals from newest to oldest.

1955 Mint Fresh UNC Scottish shilling
All of these are seller's photos, mine are usually too awful

1936 AU, even sharper than the 1932 - again unbelievably cheap and these are the also ran coins!

1905 coin in Fine and probably cleaned condition, this is the key 20th century shilling coin and probably a well above average example by my standards. It was not cheap but glad to have this scarce date behind me.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
New Zealand
3171 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2021  03:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The next coin is another Jubilee shilling the 1888 in a high VF condition.

A bit grubby, but a nice coin that fits in with my 2 1887s and the 1889 of similar grade levels. The coin also has the 1888/7 overdate variety.

Notice the shaft of a 7 under the last 8.

Now we get real historic and blast back 165 years to 1723.

A 1723 SSC shilling, this one is close to fine, but unfortunately cleaned and bleached in my opinion, the dealer said the coin was cleaned and it was reflected in the price.

This is my first pre 1800s shilling and first milled era one and also first coin of George I - the halfcrowns and up of his reign are virtually unaffordable, whereas shillings and down are a bit easier.

The SSC is the South Sea Company, a bubble that actually collapsed in 1720/21 and many lost fortunes, however the provided the silver for this issue and this was from the Dutch East Indies - the issue was quite common and I am thrilled to have a coin like this!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
New Zealand
3171 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2021  04:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The final 2 go back even further. First is 1685 a James II in Very Good condition, which really means very worn condition. Still its James II!

It's in pretty good shape given its age, and a welcom addition to the collection.

Finally we get to Elizabeth the first, this is my first shilling of this era and my first coin from the 1500s.

Again its pretty worn and Elizabeth is almost a silhouette. This is a hammered coin and 6th coinage. The mintmark of woolpack means it was minted sometime between 1594 and 1596 and its undated numeral wise. I love it, this is a coin from a time close to the medieval era and very historic. Plus we get the full heart shaped hairdos and ruffs I mentioned in an earlier post.

Hope you like these coins.
Page: of 165 Previous TopicReplies: 2,465 / Views: 194,065Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: