Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your United Kingdom (Great Britain) Coin Acquisitions.

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2,539 / Views: 199,423Next Topic
Page: of 170
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1026 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  2:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is no Site Settings option at present. Am on work PC so suspect it has been disabled for security purposes.
Learn More...
United States
108455 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
9810 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  6:57 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks TNG for sharing the photos! The Diana 5 looks so different as a Gold Proof! Lovely!
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3351 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2021  01:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, all that gold in one place

David - I think you are having some serious computer issues, because I am on Chrome, have an old computer (2014) and all sorts of annoying Norton pop ups and can see everything fine, gold, worn shillings and all.

Speaking of worn shillings, just brought a mountain of British sterling silver at bulk + 30% prices. Some better coins in this lot (1887 Young Head shilling, 1835 shilling, 1842, 1853 and 1860 shillings amongst others).

Will show when they get here!
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
United Kingdom
1 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2021  1:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rhd37 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@JBuck, thanks for the info worked perfectly for me
Learn More...
United States
108455 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2021  1:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
@JBuck, thanks for the info worked perfectly for me
Happy to help.

And to the Community!
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3351 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  04:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is my latest attempt at beefing up the shilling collection on the cheap. Like in August, I did some bulk buying of shillings.

A bulk silver seller which I have bought off in the past got in a few worn and average silver shillings and he listed them in lots of 6 for $50 each (Well above melt, but figure the cost of GST and the fact TradeMe charges a 10% success fee, which would bring the coins to about 20% over melt).

He had about 15 lots and all were sterling silver coins (Meaning all at least 100 years old). I bought 5 of the lots and on average each lot of 6 contained 3 or 4 1910s GV coins, 1 Edward and 1 or 2 Victorian coins.

There was also a loose lot of an 1835 Shilling in VG which cost $19 and a pair of 1887 including a Young Head (Worn but a scarce coin) I brought for $25.

Of the 33 coins I managed to add 20 to my collection.

These are 8 gems, including 1818, 1835, 1842 and 1855 top row. Bottom row is 1858, 1860, 1880 and 1877 (Die 7). Generally I would not get crazy about worn shillings, but here in NZ Victorian young heads are hard to find in any condition and if you do see them in bulk lots like this, its always a super worn 1880 something or very late 1870s. Getting pre 1870 is a triumph, 1842 is a revelation!

The best coin of all these was this slightly dinged 1860 shilling, its basically a Fine and a pretty scarce coin worth around $30 - $40 in my book.

As you can see, this is a good coin!

The 1835 William was worth it too at $19, mainly as its a scarce date and despite being worn, an honest coin with great circulation cameo.

Its a decent VG condition piece.

Less pleasing but still a nice surprise is this 1887 Young Head, in this year of Jubilee, the first coins were Young Heads and nearly all of these are scarce if not rare.

More to come...
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Edited by Princetane
11/27/2021 04:25 am
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3351 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  04:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Other great coins included these for my collection

Again most of these will end up as spacefillers like the first lot, but they will do for now.
Top row - 1895, 96, 97, 99, 1902 shined up, 1906
Bottom row - 1908, 13, 15(This one will have a REAL short life in my collection), 1916 and 1917 (Both nice).
NOT SHOWN - 1891 - Very dire, but I did forget it.

Finally the leftovers - good for me as they make great spacefillers and good for silvers stack, silver at $24 US and ounce, if it goes to $40 I can sell these babies and get some $$$$$ to buy more shillings.

And I have just brought a 1739 shilling (Plumes and Roses, Fine).
Edited by Princetane
11/27/2021 04:21 am
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3351 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  04:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also 2 mixed lots of sterling silver sixpences and threepences - These were cheap.

11 6ds, all but 3 are 1910 KGV coins. Victorian Young Head 6d coins are even harder to get here than the shillings!

Worn but nice 1879 6d and nice 1902 and 1908 coins. The 1902 is very nice (VF stained)

The Threepences, I got 18 coins for just $37 (The 6ds cost $42).

Most were again KGV and this was a good lot, usually lots of sterling 3ds include 1 or more 1920s half silver coins.

2 kind of okay 1890s 3d's (1890 and 1896), 3ds from the 1800s are always superworn here. These are as good as bulk silver coins get from the era (G and VG).

Again some nice early 20th century stuff!

Thats my latest buy in, hope you liked.
Learn More...
United States
108455 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1026 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What version of Edge are you using?

Version 94.0.992.31

All good now. I switched to Firefox and can see the images OK. I suspect Edge is the default browser installed by work and they 'manage' the permissions etc. Perhaps there is a difference in the image format that TNG uses that Edge hasn't been updated for.
Learn More...
United States
108455 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  4:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good to hear Firefox works!

Your version of Edge is old, they are up to 96 now. Regardless, the image format is the same, so it is going to be security settings, which can be managed by the enterprise.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1026 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2021  3:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Your version of Edge is old, they are up to 96 now. Regardless, the image format is the same, so it is going to be security settings, which can be managed by the enterprise.

Yes, they always lag in OS and associated program updates. Still think there must be a difference in the posts though. Why would the security settings selectively target a minority of posters and not the rest? If all the post formats were identical, why have only certain posters been affected?
Edited by David Graham
12/01/2021 3:29 pm
Learn More...
United States
108455 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2021  4:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Why would the security settings selectively target a minority of posters and not the rest?
It depends on when/how the browser was installed and/or being managed.

Older installs will defer to the settings before the new "security features" were added, that is, "disabled" since they were not there before. For example, when this issue first cropped up, I spun up a clean Windows 10 virtual machine and installed Chrome. When I did that, I suddenly had the problem that I was not having on my daily machines (where Chrome has been running a couple of years).

Also, keep mind this only affects images uploaded the CCF gallery or any other site not using HTTPS. Images uploaded direct to the CCF forum, which is using HTTPS, are unaffected. Bobby plans to get the gallery site updated to use HTTPS when funds and/or time become available.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3351 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2021  11:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My next shilling is a George II one from 1739

This is the "Young head" of George II (Even though he was 56 in 1739) and the coin has roses, suggesting it is Welsh silver or West of England silver I think.

Definitely another check mark crossed out as the old head of the king was used from the Lima coins onwards (1745-). I have a halfcrown fromthe 1730s too, but understand there is an "Intermediate" head of the king on some 1740s gold!
Page: of 170 Previous TopicReplies: 2,539 / Views: 199,423Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: