Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your United Kingdom (Great Britain) Coin Acquisitions.

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2,539 / Views: 199,495Next Topic
Page: of 170
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
9816 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2021  06:48 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely George II shilling, Princetane, and some great other purchases!

I was able to visit a coin shop in Newcastle-upon-Tyne yesterday and got a couple of GB coins. Neither is in great condition but this one fills a major type gap!

This was the first reverse design used on George IV shillings and was only struck in 1821. There were three different reverses for shillings during this short reign!

And... I can't resist getting an Elizabeth I sixpence of a date I don't have. It's holed and the portrait's worn flat, but, hey, it could have been handled by Shakespeare!
Edited by NumisRob
12/02/2021 06:49 am
Learn More...
United States
108505 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
758 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2021  09:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add otto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1888 4-pence. As best I can tell the last Britannia (other than restrikes). Seller's images.

Learn More...
United States
108505 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2021  10:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
1888 4-pence. As best I can tell the last Britannia (other than restrikes). Seller's images.
Excellent!
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3358 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2021  1:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That groat is amazing - mint fresh.

NumisRob - agree about that Elizabethan sixpence, love the early date. I think the level of wear on that portrait is equivalent to my Elizabethan shilling, but your obverse is much better, the shield is very sharp, and its much older.

Agree about G4 - nice circulation cameo and at this stage he eludes my shilling collection! I have all the other Georges including number one and William IV, but G4 eludes despite the plethora of his halfcrowns in low to superhigh grade I own.

Shakespeare, Marlowe, Johnson, Walsingham, Ridolfi, Bess of Hardwick, Mary Queen of Scots - any amazing Tudor personality could have handled that coin.

Edmund Blackadder may have given it to Baldrick to hide in his turnip too!

There is possibly more 18th century shillings to come and even a Williamite one
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Edited by Princetane
12/02/2021 1:09 pm
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3358 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  02:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just won some more classic coins from the late 17th and early 18th century and another super old Halfcrown!
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Pillar of the Community
United States
758 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  1:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add otto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I just won some more classic coins

Princetane, I'm curious as to where you buy your coins.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1026 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  2:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Princetane, I'm curious as to where you buy your coins.

Me too although I have a sneaky suspicion it may be TradeMe which is the NZ equivalent to EBay. Alas, most sellers on TradeMe don't use Paypal and rely on bank transfer and many don't ship O/S, not even Australia. Am chasing a Kiwi/Bahamas mule and have seen some nice specimens on TradeMe for a reasonable price but wasn't able to buy.
Edited by David Graham
12/04/2021 2:13 pm
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3358 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  7:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes - Trade Me, its great although like ebay there are scams and pitfalls. Although I buy trademe coins, I buy a few off friends through stamp clubs and occasional coin dealer buys (A good 70% of my trade me buys are established dealers I know, but every now and then a lone eagle comes along with a bargain).

Dealers generally charge more, but are honest and will refund if you get a dud, plus if they know they will negotiate. There are pitfalls for them, the success fee went up to 10% from 7.9% lately and if you pay by creditcard (Ping), they are also charged 1.99% by Trademe. This means prices will be hiked up 10 - 20% on shop levels. Plus you have other bidders, although generally with me - I get most of my stuff as most are low ballers. For some reason though I can't win any Queen Anne shillings, they go like that.

I don't do ebay as I joined in 2007 and my account got hacked straight away and I also got sucked in by numerous phishing scams, plus all the sellers have crazy postage prices, on Trademe there is a limit for postage and handling costs.

David - can you give me a listing number and I will see if I can buy it for you, you can help me out when you send those long delayed $2 coins.
Edited by Princetane
12/04/2021 8:02 pm
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3358 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  8:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Back to Trademe, we have a Paypal like system called Ping, in which you use your credit card to pay for purchases (Over $500 they ask security questions), and also Afterpay (Hire purchase spread over 4 weeks - have never used it).

They got paranoid on foreign accounts after a rash of Nigerian and Cameroonian scams over puppies and also people using the Real estate part for Rent cheque scams (Sending dud cheques to pay rent and bond, but the checks were well above the stated amount and the scammer demanded the return of the extra funds and the cheque bounced). Also because many NZers like me do not trust scambay.

Some Australian sellers use it, but MUST have a Kiwi bank account or intermeditary.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3358 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  9:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those promised coins, a real star here!

A 1707E Halfcrown of Queen Anne. This is a very nice coin which is in the high Fine category and not far off VF, however it looks like she has serious gum disease due to the gouge that has got dirty around her mouth (Apparently the obese queen had very bad teeth and hygiene)

The coin is 1707 but post union design and yet minted in Edinburgh, the year Scottish coins ended! Had it been 1706 this would be 30 shillings Scots not 30 pence.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3358 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  9:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I missed out on a shilling from 1711 of more worn condition and a worn 1879 halfcrown that would have been a spacefiller for a year I don't have.

I did win 2 more shillings, my first William III shilling. This is a 1696 Exeter coin.

This coin has a better reverse than obverse and would be Fine/VG+ - its not bad and typical of the weak strike of provinical mints. Ironically the E mintmark moved some 500 miles further north between 1696 and 1707.

This coin was part of the Great recoinage of 1696/1700 ordered by the King and implemented by Sir Isaac Newton as master of the mint - mainly to replace worn and clipped coins that dated back to the 1530s in some cases. Because of the volume needed, provincial mints were drafted in to mint coins.

Finally more George II and a Lima shilling in near VF condition. I suspect it may be a 1745/46 overdate coin.

This is nice and fault free, most Lima is either worn, holed or very expensive. This was one quite expensive - but a good example. The King shows all the usual wear expected on the thin concave strikes of his old head coinage (My 1758 shilling is 1.5mm wider than the 1720s and 1730s coins I own!).

Hope you like them.
Learn More...
United States
108505 Posts
Valued Member
United Kingdom
144 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2021  10:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gainn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does anyone have a resource on 1936 Edward Viii florins?
I know they are (in general) reproductions but I've seen so many variations and it's confusing.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
9816 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2021  12:54 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Princetane - great additions, especially the Lima shilling! And Otto - your 1888 groat is superb!

Quote:
Does anyone have a resource on 1936 Edward Viii florins?

Gainn - See if you can get a copy of 'The Proposed Coinage of King Edward VIII' by G P Dyer. It was published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office in 1973 and has illustrations of patterns plus the coins that were actually struck but never issued. Obviously it doesn't include recent unofficial 'patina' patterns such as those produced for Richard Lobel's Coincraft shop - although I don't recall ever having seen a florin amongst these.
Edited by NumisRob
12/06/2021 1:00 pm
Page: of 170 Previous TopicReplies: 2,539 / Views: 199,495Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: