Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your United Kingdom (Great Britain) Coin Acquisitions.

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2,539 / Views: 199,568Next Topic
Page: of 170
Valued Member
United Kingdom
144 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2021  1:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gainn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
See if you can get a copy of 'The Proposed Coinage of King Edward VIII' by G P Dyer

Thanks, will have a look for that one.
This is one example a dealer has. It's not (to my eyes) a particularly nice looking coin.. But it is interesting.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1026 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2021  3:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

David - can you give me a listing number and I will see if I can buy it for you, you can help me out when you send those long delayed $2 coins.

PT - Daltonista has a specimen he is looking at selling so will wait and see. Regarding the $2 coins - am picking up the 2021 Mint set this Saturday as well as the 2022 Mint set. Will be posting next week so may be a nice X-mas present if it arrives in time. If you want a 2022 Mint set let me know.
Edited by David Graham
12/06/2021 3:09 pm
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3373 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2021  7:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Totally and for you sir - do you have a listing for the Trademe auction of the Bahama mule?

Gainn - That pattern is bizarre. The shield shows a Kangaroo, a seal along with an elephant. Was this someone's idea to issue a Empire based florin for use in Canada, India and Australia too (which would be strange given the first two did not use sterling and Australia's coins were sterling silver whilst English were 50% muck metal)

That coin is definitely a complete fantasy and probably would not even date from 1936. The designs of the KE8 coins by Kruger Grey were not that different. The Crown is similar to 1937 along with Florin (Just change the GR to ER). The halfcrown had square rather than shaped shields, the shilling was Scottish only and the 3d and 6d were the connected rings design.

It is in my 1980(!!!) Seaby catalogue. Also issued was a slightly different brass 3d along with standard one. The copper was unchanged, it was all to be modernised anyway regardless of who was king.

To be relevant - I also added a high VF 1912 shilling and silver 1920 3d (The sterling one, not 50%er) and a gFine 1921 shilling replacing a goodPoor one!
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2849 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2021  11:40 pm  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This nice red and brown uncirculated 1884 Victoria farthing arrived in today's mail.

I have a soft spot for Victoria farthings.

Paul Bulgerin
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3373 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2021  01:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin Paul, however it is not uncirculated. There is all over wear on Britannia and some on Victoria's hair and cheek.

I would say your coin is between gVF/EF (XF45 - AU50 Sheldon). Overall still an excellent piece as most YH Victorias are VG to Fine in this era.

Lustre can survive down to VF with many British coins.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Pillar of the Community
United States
761 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2021  06:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add otto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
1920 3d (The sterling one

How would you know, Princetane? I always wondered about this.
Learn More...
United States
108551 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2021  08:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This nice red and brown uncirculated 1884 Victoria farthing arrived in today's mail.
Outstanding!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2849 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2021  2:02 pm  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Princetane,

After giving the 1884 farthing a further examination, I see that you are correct. That is a lot of remaining luster for a circulated coin. I will have to examine future farthing purchases more closely.

Thank you for pointing this out to me.
Paul Bulgerin
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3373 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2021  05:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry to be the bearer of that news. Just if the seller told you it was uncirculated and charged you an uncirculated price, I would be getting my money back.

But if you paid what you thought was a reasonable price for it and it kind of looked UNC to you that's different.

These two would grade bare EF (1863) and close to AU (1865), both have light to almost no wear, but notice individual hairs in Victoria's head and the individual leaves of wretah come through. Some Brit face detail too, yet the gowns are quite flat and her breasts are too. Apart from those 1890 bet coins - I suspect fully unc Bunhead farthings are scarce as hen's teeth.

Here is an almost UNC (Very high AU) 1891 Halfpenny.

Notice almost complete gown detail on Britannia and the shield has all lines sharp.

Otto - The colour and serifs on this coin look like sterling as opposed to half silver and 1920 sterling 3d's are quite common, about 30% of the 1920 coins were in the old silver combination. Also notice smaller numbers on date, the small rounded 0 vs long 0 and the coin has a sterling ring as opposed to base metal thud.

The sterling coin - notice yellow silver colour, although gFine/VF condition, usually they are green and gungy. The crown and 3 shape are like 1919 coins rather than 1921s.

Here is my 50 percenter 1920 for comparison.

Same grade (Fine +) but that green gungy wear and black wear you see on base silver.

Also a new coin, this mid VF grade 1912 shilling

Edited by Princetane
12/10/2021 05:30 am
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
9823 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2021  1:54 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice 1912 shilling, Princetane! I have one in Fair/Poor condition but I am reluctant to upgrade it as it's the oldest silver coin I ever found in circulation!
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1915 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2021  5:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Does anyone have a resource on 1936 Edward Viii florins?

The Royal Mint Museum website has photos of all the Edward VIII patterns in its collection which I think covers all of the coins in the book that NumisRob mentioned.
That florin appears to be a fantasy anyway - there are lots of Edward VIII fantasy crowns but I haven't seen a florin before.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3373 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2021  10:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree NumisRob, hard to replace a coin with so much meaning and history. All I would do is put the better coin if you get one on display but still also keep the worn coin with a personal history too.

I will not have any such problems replacing all my super worn 1920 - 1926 shillings (Already have a better 1921 arriving and may add a 1922 to it as well).

I mainly get annoyed when I add a higher grade upgrade on a date of coin and then 2 weeks later, one of a higher grade still comes up for sale and it only costs very slightly more.

Case in point - a high VF 1906 Halfcrown I paid $80 for and then they were selling a high EF for $150 that looked stunning. I had to turn it down as it was sending good money after bad. I would rather roll that $150 into getting another date of halfcrown in EF or an upgrade for another year.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1026 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2021  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

(Already have a better 1921 arriving and may add a 1922 to it as well)

Did I not read something about you buying too much silver and having to slow down?

Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3373 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2021  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bought them ages ago, but thanks to snail mail they have not arrived yet and the 3 coins I have brought this week are all cheap.

A lot of bills as I head into Christmas, so yes I am slowing down a bit, but 2022 will see more coins being bonanzaed into my collection.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3373 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2021  12:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And true to form, my latest shilling additions.

1868 shilling EF with toning and unsightly marks on the Queen - however 1860s silver is scarce as hen's teeth in my collection, no halfcrowns and florins that elude me. The only coin that cost a wee bit here (Nowhere on the level of recent purchases).

1879 cleaned fine/ sellers photo so not sure of any die numbers here, it is a die number example (1879 shillings without a die number are scarce).

1922 almost EF/toned - this was cheap and great to get as the early 1920s stuff is hard to find in decent condition, also brought a 1921 last week, but this coin is slow to arrive.

1921 Florin, EF and toned - yes toned to death but at $28 too good a deal to pass up and all my 1920s Florins other than 1929 are worn messes.

I brought a few more cheapies but will show these when I get them
Page: of 170 Previous TopicReplies: 2,539 / Views: 199,568Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: