Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your United Kingdom (Great Britain) Coin Acquisitions.

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 2,690 / Views: 210,420Next Topic
Page: of 180
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3828 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  12:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2 more coins, again high grade George V ones.

1914 highVF/near EF - this stunner completes all my GV except 1911, 1923 and early 1927!

1926 earlier effigy EF - it is hard to find 1920s coins in true EF or higher grades, this coin is lovely and quite expensive. I think you all know about the 1926 shilling its replacing
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
10329 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  2:16 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely shillings, Princetane! And Daltonista - your BOE token collection is amazing!

All I've added to my UK collection today is some Royal Mint clickbait - but it's my first 2022-dated coin - a Platinum Jubilee 5!
Edited by NumisRob
01/19/2022 2:22 pm
Learn More...
United States
112244 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  3:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
2 more coins, again high grade George V ones.

Quote:
All I've added to my UK collection today is some Royal Mint clickbait - but it's my first 2022-dated coin - a Platinum Jubilee 5!
Excellent adds!
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3828 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  05:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I actually like those Platinum Jubilee coins.

And it may be the first 2022 dated coin on this thread, a great achievement given 95% of the coins here are historical predecimal ones.

That coin has a nice Heritage feel too.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3828 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2022  02:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Worthwhile Bump, 2 more halfcrowns, although they are upgrades.

1925 Halfcrown - Fine/gFine, a scarce coin and quite hard to find above G/VG (British Fair), this is a full fine, though historically cleaned. 1925 was the lowest mintage between 1905 and 1930. The one it replaces is crazy.

1947 Halfcrown - gEF/AU

These are very common in VG to VF grades, but pretty scarce in EF and above, this coin comes in close to AU (There is some hair and brow wear on the king that brings it closer to EF in my opinion, but the tails is nice). Coin has some natural lustre and it was surprisingly cheap.

It really lifts the eye appeal of my album page, all those gleaming George VI silver halfcrowns and a stunning 1948 and my cloudy dull Fine 1947 in the middle. This beauty will alleviate that problem.

I only paid about 10 for it, but you would be amazed how many people's interest in gleaming coins stops with 1946.
Edited by Princetane
02/03/2022 02:46 am
Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
10329 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2022  03:29 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
you would be amazed how many people's interest in gleaming coins stops with 1946

You don't see that many really nice 1947-51 George VI cupro-nickel coins: people just spent them!

I have passed a today as I've just filled my last UK bronze halfpenny date gap! I won this 1880 specimen on eBay. It looks as if it might be a detector find but has great details:

I started collecting bronze halfpennies as a kid when they were still circulating. In the late 1960s the vast majority in circulation were from the reigns of George VI and Elizabeth II with the ship reverse - it was relatively easy to pull a set from 1937-67 in F+ to AU condition from change. Later George V coins from 1925-36 were fairly scarce and normally in VG to F, but anything older than that was quite rare. Typically, early George V and Edward VII halfpennies turned up with an almost Fine obverse and a Poor reverse: the reverse rim was much lower than that on the obverse, and maybe 'Shove-Ha'penny' players used the coins obverse-up so as to protect the royal effigy! I got a few Victorian Veiled Head halfpennies in change - including, freakishly, an 1897 in Fine, but the only Bun Head halfpenny I ever found in the wild was a flat bronze disc with the exergue and outline of Vicky's head barely discernible. I have gradually acquired my Bun halfpennies from dealers' junk trays, plus a few detector finds of my own. Now that the basic set is complete, I'll have to start upgrading some of the worst coins and get some of the varieties. These coins are much harder to find even in VG to Fine condition than catalog prices suggest.
Edited by NumisRob
02/03/2022 08:20 am
Learn More...
United States
112244 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2022  08:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Worthwhile Bump, 2 more halfcrowns, although they are upgrades.
Nice upgrades!

Quote:
I've just filled my last UK bronze halfpenny date gap! I won this 1880 specimen on eBay. It looks as if it might be a detector find but has great details:
Excellent!
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3828 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2022  1:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love that 1880 Halfpenny, despite the corrosion and colouring, its at least a high VF, the detail is really sharp.

Totally agree about conditions, many of the pre 1927 Halfpennies I notice I have are just worn to death and its usually the effigy of the king that survives better than Britannia. I have some decent ones - but the bulk of them are worn rubbish.

Starting in 1927 the quality shoots up as they seemed to add a higher rim on the coins. I only have one really nice halfpenny, this one

Photo does not do it justice, but it is virtually Uncirculated with a natural shine.
Learn More...
United States
112244 Posts
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3828 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2022  03:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thought my own photo of the 1947 halfcrown shows up its shine better than the dealer. Sorry to repeat myself, but I love bling.

Just shows the coin up better!
Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
10329 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2022  05:31 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely halfcrown!
Learn More...
United States
112244 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2022  10:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Thought my own photo of the 1947 halfcrown shows up its shine better than the dealer. Sorry to repeat myself, but I love bling.
As do we all!
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3828 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2022  12:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just robbed a stamp club auction - Bought a complete set of British pennies from 1860 to 1880 for $10.

Includes 1869 Good, 1875H VG and 1871 gVG amongst 1861 LC Wyon, 1860 toothed and beaded and near Fine 1868. All coins are beyond the flat disc stage.
Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
10329 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2022  05:10 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Bought a complete set of British pennies from 1860 to 1880 for $10.

Great bargain!
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3828 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2022  9:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here they are, I suppose showing worn pennies is not ideal in this thread, but there are some rare ones and there is not exactly a glut of material being shown at the moment!
The best thing about them was the cost, just $10 or 5 for all of them.

Pennies in the album to 1874 scrawny head

Pennies in album, fat head 1874 - 1880.

Some separate images

Toothed and beaded 1860 coins - both Fair

1861 Penny with LC Wyon signature, probably Fine or better

1864 Penny - a better date

1865 over 3 penny - worn but clearly a scarce coin!

Page: of 180 Replies: 2,690 / Views: 210,420Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: