Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your United Kingdom (Great Britain) Coin Acquisitions.

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2,785 / Views: 217,210Next Topic
Page: of 186
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3964 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2022  9:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay I understand - cheapest coin, cheapest production and no doubt why so many of mine are fairly nice compared to the worn rubbish I call my halfpenny and penny collection.
Zookeeperz, your coin is very nice - yet I still see the flatness all over the coin - what grade are you placing on your farthing.

Everyone else - yes your are right. Those halfcrowns came off a ship called the HMS Elingamite. This was a screw steamer built in Newcastle on Tyne in 1887 and used in the UK - Australia/NZ route bringing passengers and cargo for the 6 week or longer trip.

Often the ballast featured barrels full of coins for both countries as both used British coins at the time (Australians only got silver and bronze, but NZ also got gold pieces minted in both the UK and Australia).

In November 1902, the Elingamite was on another cruise. On November 9th it left Newcastle, Australia with a cargo of 154 passengers and some 17,400 (Amounts vary) of gold and silver coins for the New Zealand banks, amongst the coins were 4,500 worth of (9,000 coins) of Sydney mint half sovereigns dated 1901 and 1902. The rest of the coins were mostly Halfcrowns, Florins and Shillings dating mostly from 1900, but coins back to 1885 have been recovered. The key factor is none of the silver was new. The British were giving us slightly used coins. As you can see under all the gunk is a coin in VF - gVF condition as they were being used from 1900 to 1902 (That much wear so quickly).

Anyway on November 15th the Elingamite hit rocks near 3 Kings Islands (some 30km north west of Cape Reinga) in fog and due to bad navigation and sunk, some 34 people died and the rest were rescued including crew. Also lost was all the bullion. An enquiry saw the captain and crew cleared. It was a bad year for shipwrecks. Earlier on in 1902 another shipwreck occurred and it had bodies of Chinese people bound back for ancestral burial in China.

The coins stayed in the sea for 65 years until there was salvage in 1965 to 1967 by Kelly Tarlton (Who later opened an aquarium in some old sewers in Auckland in 1985) and many of the coins were recovered. Spasmodic recoveries have happened since and Elingamite coins freuqently hit the market. The average price for one is about $50 - $100 each. The gold coins are much more.

Because of the rough sea environment and 6 decades under the sea, most of the coins are blackened and stained, a huge amount were fused together or stuck to rocks and corroded. My pair are amongst the much better ones. The man I got them off has a big box of them he brought years ago.

You can always tell Elingamite treasure by its stained and corroded appearance and the date 1900 on many of the silver pieces.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
73 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2022  07:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kipster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Afternoon all,

Here's another little halfpenny that found its way into my grubby mitts recently. Very pleased with this one.

Hopefully these images can do it justice.
Learn More...
United States
113567 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2022  08:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Everyone else - yes your are right. Those halfcrowns came off a ship called the HMS Elingamite.
Excellent!

Quote:
Here's another little halfpenny that found its way into my grubby mitts recently. Very pleased with this one.
Very nice!
Valued Member
United Kingdom
73 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2022  09:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kipster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just another one whilst I have a coffee break.

There are obvious marks on this one, and definition isn't quite up to what I would have liked, but it's a nice coin nonetheless, and until a finer quality replacement can be found, it'll sit nicely in the drawer.

Learn More...
United States
113567 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1640 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2022  10:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is one of mine from a few days ago; picked it up for silver price.
Aside from a few rim dings, I thought it was a neat coin.
2022 2 pounds, or one ounce fine silver, Little John theme.

Edited by mrwhatisit
05/13/2022 10:42 am
Learn More...
United States
113567 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2022  11:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here is one of mine from a few days ago; picked it up for silver price.
Very nice!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
844 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2022  3:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add otto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is an 1887 Jubilee Head I just picked to complement my young head. The coin has mottled toning, which makes the surfaces look rough in areas.

Pillar of the Community
Australia
2014 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  12:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

What's the die pairing?
Valued Member
United Kingdom
73 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  04:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kipster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What's the die pairing?

Interesting question. It was sold as a Freeman 282, which I believe is a 7+G. However, when I was looking through Spink after I received the coin and could look at it better, I made it a 6+G. The wreath has 16 leaves, making it a 6 by my reckoning and Spinks, not 17 which the 7 should have. Spink also have 7 as being from 1874 onwards.

Bearing in mind this is all relatively new to me, are there differences between Freeman and Spink? I had assumed that they were all quoting the same die numbers/letters?

Unsure what to make of it now, so any guidance would be most appreciated.

Cheers

Learn More...
United States
113567 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  09:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This is an 1887 Jubilee Head I just picked to complement my young head. The coin has mottled toning, which makes the surfaces look rough in areas.
Nice example!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
530 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  06:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zookeeperz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ Kipster Obverse 4-5-6 Had 15 leaves obverse 7 has 16 leaves Obverse 7 is very similar to the Penny in its design at the nape of the neck should be a strand of hair that curls up towards the ear. I commend your effort trying to get to grips with the Die combinations in this series. Here are the differences and there are not many

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
530 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  06:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zookeeperz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My offering of the day a nice UNC fully lustred 1911 George V Bronze Penny though if you send these to TPG's 90% will come back RB and not RD one day they will realise Bronze is darker than copper

Learn More...
United States
113567 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  08:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My offering of the day a nice UNC fully lustred 1911 George V Bronze Penny
Outstanding!
Valued Member
United Kingdom
73 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  11:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kipster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My offering of the day

And what a lovely offering it is too!

Quote:
@ Kipster Obverse 4-5-6 Had 15 leaves obverse 7 has 16 leaves Obverse 7 is very similar to the Penny in its design at the nape of the neck should be a strand of hair that curls up towards the ear. I commend your effort trying to get to grips with the Die combinations in this series. Here are the differences and there are not many

Thanks for the reply, Zookeeperz, I appreciate it. Knowledge is what I'm seeking and I've come to the right place obviously. It's very intriguing though. Now I'm at home and in front of the computer I can actually have a look at things properly instead of on my phone.

I've checked Spink, and my coin resembles Obv 6 far more closely than Obv 7, but I've googled Freeman 282, which is what it was sold as, and it does indeed have 16 leaves and the curl. All very interesting.

Much obliged to you for the pointers.

Edited by Kipster
05/19/2022 11:27 am
Page: of 186 Previous TopicReplies: 2,785 / Views: 217,210Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: