Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your United Kingdom (Great Britain) Coin Acquisitions.

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 3,081 / Views: 233,660Next Topic
Page: of 206
Learn More...
United States
116343 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
10955 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  6:40 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for sharing! Never seen these tokens before!
Valued Member
United States
438 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  2:38 pm  Show Profile   Check daltonista's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Wait a minute! Princetane, just for the sake of clarity, you were kidding, right? You knew that this is the guy those tokens are named after, right? Not me?

That's the 1968 reprint from Seaby, which is hard to find and pretty expensive, but the 1922 original is online and accessible in its entirety right here.

I never pay too much for my tokens...but every now and then I may buy one a little too soon.

Valued Member
United States
438 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  2:58 pm  Show Profile   Check daltonista's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Thank you jbuck and NumisRob! Just realized I could have included another reference work in my last post.

Published in 1991, this one includes much of the history, sociology, and economics behind the non-regal silver "necessity coinage" of the Regency Period and provides background on virtually all of the individual tokens and their issuers. (Silver only, though...the Big Green Book by Paul and Bente Withers is the equivalent for the 1811-20 copper series.)

Mr. Mays was kind enough to reproduce as an appendix an exact facsimile of the entire Dalton catalog!

Tokens are people coins too!

I never pay too much for my tokens...but every now and then I may buy one a little too soon.

Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
4371 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  11:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No I didn't I honestly know so little about tokens. Even my knowledge of New Zealand ones was basically be learnt on the fly as I went along.

Boy is my face red!

I love COINS!!!
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
4371 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  11:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have just spend a lot of big money on some tiny coins. Just to prove to you all my interests are more broad than the modern bubblegum coins of Australia.

These are satin chocolates in comparison.

2 very old Maundy pennies, both described as EF and probably not far off (gVF - aEF)

1825 Maundy Penny of George IV showing fleshy head

1835 Maundy Penny of William IV - nice piece and good detail

It makes me wonder where the rest of these sets are and strange to see them with wear as by this stage the copper pennies were being made.

I love COINS!!!
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
4371 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  11:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The reign of William IV saw almost as many coin denominations as that of Elizabeth I.

We had the Halfcrown, Shilling, 6d, 4d, 3d and the 1d, d, d and even half farthing. We also had these odd 1d coins issued for Ceylon, Malta and West Indies, yet they saw use in the UK too.
Not forgetting the Gold, although only the 1 and 10/- really circulated the 5 and 2 were more decorations only. The latter being just 200 or so pieces.

I have 1834 the first year and a nice example (EF)

It is just so cute, dinky and no doubt a pain in the rear to keep on you, seriously its like 12mm in size!!

This 1836 one is even better -

Finally a regular size coin - an 1834 Sixpence in VF

My William IV collection has definitely improved.

These are not my photos either, but sellers - I can't even take a photo nicely of a Half Crown - I am going to be worse with a tiny 1d or 1d coin!

This little lot set me back over $200 in total!

I love COINS!!!
Edited by Princetane
08/12/2022 11:34 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
899 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  2:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add otto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1710 Queen Anne Groat. Just purchased. Don't know if this was minted as a maundy coin. Seller's low res pics.

Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
10955 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  2:59 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice additions Princetane and Otto!

The silver 1d, 2d, 3d and 4d coins issued from the reign of Charles II through to the recoinage of 1816 are considered Maundy money, but they were definitely used in normal circulation. As far as I know it's only since 1816 that Maundy money has been made specifically for the ceremony.
Pillar of the Community
United States
899 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  3:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add otto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, NumisRob. Good info.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
208 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  4:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gainn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Been trying to get decent photos of the 1928 florin I got recently, but I'm really struggling to get the toning to show properly (several hours of furrowed brows), so I'll just use the vendors photos for now.
Modern cameras are very frustrating when they don't have an algorithm that matches the subject.
Once I get good shots I'll edit.

Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
4371 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well that puts my 2 well into the Maundy era. The wear on them and my 1857 penny suggests either we had 6 or 7 generations of dirty fingered people handling them or they spent some time in circulation. Its plausible given the coins went out to impoverished pensioners, and this was before the old age pension and many lived in excrcuiating poverty until the early 1900s.

What was to stop old Robert Jones using his Maundy coins to buy some bread or an egg in 1842? So basically NumisRob I agree with you, but I believe Maundy coins could circulate right up to the era of the Old Age pensions (1898 in NZ, not sure when in UK). And even in 1898, the pension was small and racist (No Maoris or women), not until 1938 was it fully rolled out to all.

I love the Anna groat! It's only had light circulation, but enough to not be able to tell if it was Maundy or not at one stage.

The Florin image is as sharp as it gets.

I love COINS!!!
Learn More...
United States
116343 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  08:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent additions! That 1928 Florin looks good from here.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
118 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  09:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kipster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like that florin a lot!
Valued Member
United Kingdom
208 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  10:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gainn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I like that florin a lot!

I felt a bit silly at first because I paid a over the odds (25) for it. I thought it had a pretty interesting look, and sometimes you get lucky.

In hand it's better than I was hoping and worth every penny.
Page: of 206 Replies: 3,081 / Views: 233,660Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.46 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: