Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your United Kingdom (Great Britain) Coin Acquisitions.

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3,067 / Views: 233,059Next Topic
Page: of 205
Valued Member
United Kingdom
204 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2022  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gainn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ttkoo - maybe a failed attempt at turning it into a cufflink (as those tend to be date-outwards) at some point?
I had a couple of pin brooch florins that had messy spatter similar to that where they hadn't cleaned or pre-heated the coin.
Valued Member
Learn More...
Australia
416 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2022  7:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NumisRob the pennies are very nice. I share your frustrations with getting the lighting to suit the darker coins, but those shots still show us the features quite well.

Gainn, you might be onto something regarding the cufflinks.
My curiosity is satisfied.&

Now waiting impatiently for the postman, is there a letter, a letter for me?
The Ox moves slowly, but the Earth is patient.
Valued Member
Learn More...
Australia
416 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2022  10:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Picked up this nice 1789 Associated Irish Mine Company half penny token on eBay for a mighty AUD$18.95 free postage.
Happy Chappy

At the risk of double posting, I had this Conder token in another forum, but I see others here as well.
But please remove it if it's now in the wrong place.

Learn More...
United States
116290 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2022  09:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fantastic additions! I see some nice circulation cameo on many of them!
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
4353 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2022  12:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ttkoo - I brought 2 good books on line from Coin Publications

The Standard Guide to grading British coins - a very good photograde book
Collectors Coins GB also by Coin Publications

They are very cheap ($20 or so each) and contain info, mintage numbers etc for coins after 1760 and 1797 (Condition guide). The prices in them are lower than SG and Coincraft and seem more realistic.

These books are quite cheap though and thus ads and things in them, the paper is not so great either - but compared to the prices for Seaby et al, they are excellent value and better than the Coin Annuals in my opinion.

I got them and paid minimal postage and handling.

NumisRob I love those pennies, that 1880 is a stunner and any 1867 - 1869 with more than a date is always a good buy.

Love all the Threepences too ttkoo - the 1903 one is just staining for a very bad historic coin cleaning attempt. It is sad as the coin has almost no wear. the Crown is very well detailed on it. Edge bumps are common on 3d's too as they were so tiny and flimsy and you will notice their edges are plain and not milled like the sixpences and higher denominations.

I love COINS!!!
Edited by Princetane
09/20/2022 12:47 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
Australia
416 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2022  05:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Princetane for that lead, I followed up on the two reference books, but opted for the Kindle versions as I have a nice PC set up and screen. It gave me instant access too (you know how impatient I am!), and just under $13 for the two.
Both look exactly what I was looking for, and more.
And the threepences are nice too, I picked up a 1900 which got delivered today, but I'm not totally happy with it as it has a slight bend in it like it has been used as a screwdriver. sigh
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2914 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2022  11:24 pm  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nothing valuable or rare, but full red George VI half pennies take some looking to find. The reverse on this coin, a 1942, is quite nice.

I picked this one up in a four coin lot on eBay that cost me $2.86, shipping included.

Paul Bulgerin
Valued Member
Learn More...
Australia
416 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  07:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a super penny Paul, an absolute bargain purchase as well. The full red is stunning, Congrats
Learn More...
United States
116290 Posts
Valued Member
Learn More...
Australia
416 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  10:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I live on a hill and my poor postman is getting quite the work-out recently, trudging up the driveway to drop of registered parcels.
This 1887 "Young Head" half crown arrived from UK this morning. The reverse is Fair and the obverse is Poorish, but the price was right to suit my budget.

1887 GB Half Crown "Young Head"

Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
4353 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  11:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is fantastic! - Those are really hard to get as 1887 was overwhelmed by Jubilee coins and the Young Head ones were only minted at the start of the year. Even I don't have one of those.

I have a superworn 1887 YH shilling and a decent Gothic Florin, but the halfcrown and sixpence elude me!

The condition is a full Good in my opinion and a honest coin - most of those Young Head coins were found in that state! They circulated for decades (Have you seen some of my 1870s ones and that awful 1846 I have?).

Just one more from me. I got this at the same time as the last lot (Elizabethan sixpences etc), but the seller lives way up in the high valleys of the Southern Alps and thus the mail takes longer - especially this time of year with snow and storms.

1928 Sixpence, near EF some verdigris spots on Rev, but generally good, nice lustre (Printer scan dulls it). You can see clear wear on acorns - but a good piece.

The best part was it cost just a measly $4.20 (Barely 2)!

I love COINS!!!
Valued Member
Learn More...
Australia
416 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2022  01:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The condition is a full Good in my opinion and a honest coin

Thanks for that. I'm trying to get a better handle on grading, and using the Grading British Coins guide for examples.
I was surprised that you don't have one of them. Though they are a bit pricey, mine was $67 plus post from UK
Your 1928 sixpence is very respectable, and it's in top condition, an absolute bargain!
I need to get barred from eBay, I can't help myself anymore. Just for a bit of action, I purchased a kilo of GB pennies and halfpennies. $44 delivered from Victoria. I didn't have high expectations, but I am having a ball sorting through them this afternoon. Quite a wide range of dates in the pennies, from 1967 back to 1867. Condition ranges from Fine+ back to "clear dates" though only one coin (1953) between 1941 and 1960. Even an aussie 63 halfpenny and 1950 penny amongst the others. I'll check out the halfs next, and having a good time!

Pillar of the Community
Australia
2086 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2022  02:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There could be some scarce varieties in there - https://headsntails14.wordpress.com/ is the most up-to-date reference on British bronze penny varieties I'm aware of. https://www.commonwealthcoins.net/b...ional-bronze is the most up-to-date reference on British bronze halfpennies that I know of but https://halfpennyvarieties.wordpress.com/ is pretty good too.
Valued Member
Learn More...
Australia
416 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2022  02:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey thanks for that Mr. T. I'll look them over.
Learn More...
United States
116290 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2022  10:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
1887 GB Half Crown "Young Head"

Quote:
1928 Sixpence, near EF some verdigris spots on Rev, but generally good, nice lustre
Nice examples!
Page: of 205 Previous TopicReplies: 3,067 / Views: 233,059Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: