Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your United Kingdom (Great Britain) Coin Acquisitions.

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3,228 / Views: 247,871Next Topic
Page: of 216
Valued Member
United Kingdom
216 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2022  08:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gainn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The price on 1970 proofs is a bit all over the place.
Penny was 2.10 and the florin 2.75.
The crowns vary from 5 to 10 in most places, but I've seen them offered for closer to 20 on newer listings.
Just ordered a 1/2p for 2 and the brass thrup cost 4.75.
The sixpence seems to be the least available and most expensive one of the set.

Gratz on the halfGroat!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
665 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2022  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Gratz on the halfGroat!

Cheers, I got a bit carried away with bidding, but I really wanted it...

These are the sellers images and description.

1729 Great Britain Silver Two Pence Half Groat Maundy Money Coin VF

The Ox moves slowly, but the Earth is patient.
Learn More...
United States
120506 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2022  09:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
edit: I won.... woohoo! ... These are the sellers images and description.
Excellent!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
665 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2022  03:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I purchased some more hole fillers for my Great Britain accumulation.
Slowly weaving it into the bones of a base collection.
Some of these new arrivals are quite worn, but they suit my current budget after a bout of frivolous recent bidding!

Florins

A shilling

Some half crowns

Learn More...
United States
120506 Posts
Pillar of the Community
4628 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2022  01:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ttkoo - I think you need some patience, 10 pounds for a 1970 Proof halfcrown is very excessive. You can get the whole set for like 15 if you look and it would be cheaper in Australia.

I live in New Zealand and only use trade me, but got mine for just $24.95 (12) and I brought an additional halfcrown for $4.

Many 1920s and 1930s dates can cost just $30 or more for a gVF or even EF example. Average condition 1950s coins should cost no more than $1 each. Spacefiller grade coins are fine at melt and fill gaps in the meantime (Many dates in my collection are spacefiller coins, slowly but surely being replaced by VF and better).

AU - Cost $39.95 (A$35)

I just want you to buy well and not be ripped off, I am saying this as I care and fell into the trap of "I must have it now at all cost".

Many sellers on ebay sell coins at fair prices and apart from the years 1925 and 1930 for halfcrowns and 1925 and 1932 for the British florins, you should be able to get high VF for 20 and sometimes 10

Total cost $17 ($15 + $2 postage and handling). Again my favourite grade a gVF (Between EF and VF)

Meanwhile I am showing a Fine but stained 1857 shilling that cost $27 - I even considered it a bit overpriced, but it fills a great gap for me.

My secret is that I buy a lot of gVF and nEF stuff at cheap rates. Most British coin collectors of post 1815 material either want the top flight stuff (AU up and Mint State) or just want a spacefiller (Fine for Cupronickel and G - VG for silver). That leaves this market of VF and near EF coins, they look nice but have a few flaws with wear, or maybe a cleaned EF/AU piece or a ding or scratch and you can get some real bargains. I will always buy spacefiller for rare dates and EF/UNC if I can afford it, but most dates when I get a high VF coin - I am happy.
Edited by Princetane
10/13/2022 01:41 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
665 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2022  03:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Ttkoo - I think you need some patience,

Patience?..... never 'eard of it!

Seriously though, I'll admit that patience is in short supply sometimes but it's not something I'm particularly concerned about. I get a head of steam up and it's hard to slow me down, but that's just the way I roll sometimes. And it's swings and roundabouts too, I win some I lose some. But thanks for the thought.

Anyway, you seem to do very well in the bargain stakes. That 1935 HC is another stunner, well done. My very worn 1932 set me back $11 but it fills the hole for now.

Also, what's your thoughts on the grade of my 1729 half groat?
Pillar of the Community
4628 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2022  8:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a bad piece, but cleaned and bleached to within an inch of its life.
Grade wise I would say Fine to good Fine.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
665 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2022  11:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ Princetane
Quote:
Grade wise I would say Fine to good Fine

Cheers, thanks for that.

The letterbox was full this morning....there goes the weekend.
Hopefully there are some shillings, a bank token, my very expensive 1970 proofs, maybe a 1900 florin and a few other bibs and bobs.

Pillar of the Community
4628 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2022  8:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So what was in the packages? My guess is they contained old coins from Great Britain?

Yesterday one guy who is a silver buyer brought a selection of British halfcrowns to trade with me and I managed to upgrade 3 of mine (He got the old ones in exchange for a few $ per upgrade) and a single (1890) date that was a new and now makes my collection complete 1885 - 1964 (Except 1887 YH which really is a scarcity and we can exclude).

The first was this 1834

Easily a gFine/near VF coin with plenty of detail, he took my old VG one + $15 for this.

This replaced my worn 1845, it was broached, but what is left reveals a coin in Fine or slightly better condition. Because of the damage, he accepted $5 more for it.

1890 gFine to VF - this coin is new and fills a gap, apart from the dent on the Heads side and copper spot on Queen, this is a good starter piece for $25.

1927 gVF - this coin replaced a slightly more worn but bleached out one and looks more real. He swapped it for free.

Overall a good session!
Edited by Princetane
10/23/2022 9:13 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
665 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2022  01:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice half crowns there. The 1834 is special, I need one like that, my oldest is an 1836 fine, but with some detracting scratches over the obverse. Overall, you've done some nice upgrading.

The packages?...lol... I got very busy with other life things, a nuisance I know. Plus I went down the ancient Roman and Greek rabbit-hole, which has been fun.

I got another 1813 Irish bank token 10 pence, slightly more worn than the previous, but a good price of 9.

1900 shilling, worn but a good starter. for 6.50

A pyramid of later shillings for $1.80 each

And a 1921 Florin, $8 inc delivery in nice condition but with a nasty planchet flaw, luckily I am partial to an error!

Apart from those I got a few aussie pennies to upgrade my main collection of pre-decimals.
Pillar of the Community
4628 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2022  03:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good scores, the bank token is very nice and I love your 1921 Florin.
Learn More...
United States
120506 Posts
Pillar of the Community
4628 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2022  10:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Supposed to be saving money at the moment, but this halfcrown caught my eye on a Trade me sale. Turns out it was Jewellers shop down the road!

A lot of money later and voila!

Its a William and Mary halfcrown from 1689. I originally thought this would be an upgrade of my very worn one, but turns out there were 2 shield types for the 1689 coins. This coin is the first one and the worn one I have is the rare 2nd one!

Even better is this coin is well into the Fines (good Fine) and you can see a lot of detail on the conjoined portrait. A fantastic addition and good to be getting back into Halfcrowns after dabbling with all the other denominations!
Learn More...
United States
120506 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2022  09:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sometimes you know when a sacrifice now will pay dividends of pleasure down the road. Nice buy!
Page: of 216 Previous TopicReplies: 3,228 / Views: 247,871Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: