Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your United Kingdom (Great Britain) Coin Acquisitions.

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 1,794 / Views: 149,259Next Topic
Page: of 120
United Kingdom
14 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2020  10:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Upinsmoke to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My latest Penny in the collection.

Learn More...
United States
90257 Posts
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1355 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2020  1:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just can't stop buying creamy halfcrowns. These are stunners

Charles I halfcrown 1635/1636 (Crown Mintmark)

Will return if its fake - but this guaranteed to be real and it looks real - double strike and all.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1355 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2020  1:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A gorgeous coin of Queen Anne

Slightly better than fair condition, a steal at what I paid for it (About 40) 1709 Anne Half crown (Post Union).
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7519 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2020  4:07 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice circulation cameo, Princetane!
Learn More...
United States
90257 Posts
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1355 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2020  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pardon my ignorance - what is a circulation cameo?
Valued Member
United Kingdom
459 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2020  03:34 am  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Circulation cameo" is an unofficial term for the effect of dark patination in the fields and light wear on the high points so that the portrait and other detail stand out from the background.
I think the term was created only a few years ago on another coin forum.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
384 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2020  9:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zookeeperz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry for the naff picture but these brass Threepences are a real pain to to get a nice sharp true in the hand look. Much nicer in the hand. Lustre is uniform but not stunning which seems to be the norm for the latter George VI coins. I wonder if the metal mix changed at some point during the run? Anyroada here it is Exceptionally well struck piece 1949 being one of the 2 key dates the other being 1946. Not always easy to tell high grade coins from lower grades as the strike isn't always up to par but the hair detail on this coin is very well defined so I would put it at GEF as a minimum Around MS61 US grade. Got a very good deal on this So I am very pleased to add it to the collection

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9021 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2020  11:47 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To go with the lovely Anne posted earlier here is a very well worn shilling of William III "bargain bin" pickup. Not in the best of shape but historically a very important coin as these were the first milled silver coins to be struck in England!

(1697) William III. Shilling, 3rd bust type
London mint (no letter below bust, no plumes)
Sp. 3505, KM 497.1, AG details/cleaned/scratches.
Reverse almost completely worn smooth!

Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Edited by paralyse
02/10/2020 11:48 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
459 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2020  03:31 am  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin for the history, but where did you get the idea that these were the first milled coins struck in England?

We switched entirely to milled coinage in Charles II reign, around 40 years before William III coins. We had tinkered with the same during Oliver Cromwell's time a little earlier, but the first milled coins in circulation were in Elizabeth I's reign another 100 years earlier. (Ok they were produced by a Frenchman - Eloye Mestrelle - but it was at the Tower mint in London.)
Here is a Milled Lizzie Sixpence from that era:

Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1355 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2020  04:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, but the original poster with the William Shilling had a point and may have got confused with the 1696 - 1699 great recoinage.

By the way I love your Eloi Mestrel 6d there - stunning piece and the twist in the story the British moneyers got annoyed with him, he lost his job and around 1579 Eloi was hanged for counterfeiting coins!

My Charles I Halfcrown is clearly a hammered piece, but at the time a Nicolas Briot (Also French) was making milled coins for Charles as well.

The first truly milled UK coins were the patterns for Oliver Cromwell from 1658 and Thomas Simon the maker of those was passed over in 1662 for Jan Roettiers a Dutchman for the new milled coinage of Charles II (Simon's Petition crown is magnificient).

Just have to show that beauty again!

Milled coins were rolled out between 1662 and 1670 with Guineas, Crowns and Shillings going first and the last I think were Pennies and coins to 4d. Copper farthings and Halfpence followed in 1672.

In 1696, Sir Isaac Newton was commissioned by William III to organise a massive recoinage in England to replace the thousands of worn and clipped coins in circulation and most of the coins being used were dated from the 1550s through to the 1660s hammered coins of Charles II, many were clipped and in bad shape (it seemed post 1662 milled coins were not fully saturated).

Over four years, several branch mints were opened up and the full range of coins from guineas down to pennies were minted and thus by 1700, the scourge of 16th century clipped coins were gone. The shilling he showed was one of them.

It was the last great recoinage until 1816, when milled coins were obselete and gave way to perfectly round steam press made coins that were legal tender through to 1971!
Edited by Princetane
02/11/2020 05:01 am
Learn More...
United States
90257 Posts
Valued Member
United Kingdom
459 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2020  10:33 am  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is the first year of the Charles II milled Half Crowns and a pretty nice example too:

Learn More...
United States
90257 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2020  12:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This is the first year of the Charles II milled Half Crowns and a pretty nice example too:
Very nice!
Page: of 120 Replies: 1,794 / Views: 149,259Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.86 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05