Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your United Kingdom (Great Britain) Coin Acquisitions.

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 96
Valued Member
United Kingdom
305 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2020  05:36 am  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The George V Half Crowns are notorious for the weakness of strike on the obverse, so I would say most of the loss of detail on yours is down to that rather than wear. Getting one with a well struck head is the challenge!
Valued Member
United Kingdom
320 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2020  05:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Paddy makes a valid point in that finding one of these perfectly struck can be difficult.
At 7 you did well.
Learn More...
United States
83885 Posts
Valued Member
New Zealand
271 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2020  12:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all of you.

The white marks are possibly some cleaning solution from the last owner and only apparent when you look at the coin very close up. From a distance, they are not there at all.

Sadly I have no control over previous owners and would never clean a coin myself.

I asked for condition as the seller has his coins listed as stunning regardless of condition and its up to the buyer to decide what conditionit is and whether it is worth it.

Another thread I started asking for its cond, all I get is people complaining about the quality of the picture (A common theme here). I only have a basic home brand cellphone and its a lottery with the pictures it takes.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
320 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2020  1:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Don't worry about or apologise for your photos, they look fine to me.
And you're absolutely right, so many amateur sellers describe their offerings as stunning.
Just think about that for a moment;
Stunning.
Did you ever look at one so described and find yourself feeling faint, calling for a chair, being lost for words, such was it's overwhelming beauty?
Er, no, you didn't.
Just as you suggest, ignore the waffle, go with what your instincts tell you and, if you think the coin worth having for the price then, get it.
Keep it up. You're finding some nice things and I enjoy your posts.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
13322 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2020  5:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1967 UK.
2 Shillings - Elizabeth II 1st portrait; no 'BRITT:OMN'

Valued Member
New Zealand
271 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2020  7:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Hogarth!

Totally right, I buy most of my coins on NZ site trade me and they are either clueless sellers who overgrade their coins and call them names like stunning, and believe me, my recent acquistions come from a guy who has a lot of lesser stuff called Stunning and its overpriced, but he has the bargains too.

I make my mind up and decide if a coin is worth having. I am always noticing if coins are fake or cleaned, but generally its only American classics and anything Chinese stuff that is faked for sale in NZ. British coins are generally real and more likely cleaned, as they circulated here before 1933.

Trade me has a real unregulated sales place and there are lots of dreamers selling worn pennies for $100 and the like. The other type of dealers are professional groups, but they generally sell overpriced coins and over grade them by a half to a full grade - so a near Fine coins becomes goodFine.

Any coin I buy too, has to be as honest as possible, I will buy a worn piece if its hard to find, or I really want it. I also buy coins I like and that interest me. At the moment, I am having a real Half crown fixation and thus have gone bananas buying them, first NZ ones and now UK coins.

This is my latest, a 1902 which is described as Goodfine, but I really think its GVG to about Fine and it was from a dealer that is very naive and usually sells overpriced crap (1920s coins that worn flat he calls near Fine!)

The edge ding gives it character and it has a nice circulation cameo. Far from being stunning, but a real coin.

Also for a collection that has halfcrowns going back to Charles I and every ruler from George II onwards, it was bizarre that Edward VII was missing (Well a lot of his coins are pricey) - that I add this 1902.

The final criterion being I liked it. It cost $25 (12)

Finally with all my better coins - if it comes froma PVC album or stored in a rusty can and its nasty looking - it won't degrade any further as I buy mylar holders and PVC pages, coins live in "Archival Flips" and the only person who takes them out is me.

Basically as long as I am alive, a coin thats Fine when I get it, will remain Fine
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Edited by Princetane
02/26/2020 7:18 pm
Learn More...
United States
83885 Posts
Valued Member
United Kingdom
325 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2020  05:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zookeeperz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wanted one for ages to complete a date set of Edward VII Pennies. Type set remains elusive as you can well imagine. The 1909 1 over tooth is folklore and i'll prob never get one.A few others as well but this is a nice Low Tide 1902 Penny looks pretty much as struck 70% lustre and didn't break the bank :)

Learn More...
United States
83885 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2020  09:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
his is a nice Low Tide 1902 Penny looks pretty much as struck 70% lustre and didn't break the bank
Excellent!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
775 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2020  10:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tom Goodheart to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Couple of new purchases for me, one from last month and one arrived today. Both Charles I shillings from the Tower (of London) mint.

First Spink 2802, Sharp H1/1 Sceptre mark dates it to between 1647 and 1649.

Pleased to track this down as it has provenance back to the early part of the 20th century, when it formed part of Grant Francis' collection and was used to illustrate the type in his article on the classification of the series in the British Numismatic Journal of 1918 (BNJ xii 1918 Plate V).

Edited by Tom Goodheart
02/29/2020 10:59 am
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
775 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2020  10:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tom Goodheart to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Second, which arrived today, is from the other end of Charles I's reign with the Rose mark (over Plumes to the reverse) dating it to the earlier part of 30 Jun 1631 - 21 Jun 1632. Spink 2787, Sharp C2/1.

It has some flaws in a weak patch on the legend. And someone has added some graffiti below the mark of value. However it's a nice full-weight coin (6g) and has much of the edge beading so I'm happy enough. Only provenanced to a decade or two ago, but from a recognised collector and at least it came with the earlier tickets, so that's a bonus!

And both sides at once..

Edited by Tom Goodheart
02/29/2020 10:57 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
580 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2020  9:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moose59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1859 Florin

Valued Member
New Zealand
271 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2020  10:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tom Goodheart - those coins are magnificient and they are in such good condition, they are just stunners.

Moose I love your florin too - I find it so hard to see them in conditions like that and better. I have a lot of very worn ones for some reason and yours is a fairly early date too - mostly I see them with 1880s dates!
Valued Member
New Zealand
271 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2020  10:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Zookeeperz - sorry I forgot your penny which is a stunner too - that lustre!

We should all starta group for British coin collectors - as we all seem to be buying cream (And thanks to the people who told me my purchases were all great - means a lot for a new serious collector like me).

Here is the latest coin (Well its still in the mail) and surprise surprise its another Half Crown!

It's an 1816 possibly cleaned coin in VG/Fine condition - but I bought it as I wanted a "Bull head" portrait (KG3 was pretty disgusted with it and demanded it changed the next year).

Also it's an 1816 the first year of the great recoinage and coins from this date would remain legal tender until the 1970s.

Notice it is perfectly round, and apart from various copper pennies and the like and bank tokens, it was the first standard coinage to be so.

I love it and it was quite cheap.

Page: of 96 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05