Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1982 Zinc Small Date

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 2,238Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1330 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2012  01:24 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add eddio to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

i was told by my local guy this one is a zinc Pennie,he used a scale..
Valued Member
United States
110 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2012  02:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add talkcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin... Here is a link for good info on the 1982.

http://www.NGCcoin.com/news/viewart...ArticleID=85

Erik
Edited by talkcoin
11/01/2012 02:29 am
Rest in Peace
United States
3039 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2012  10:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why would you doubt him? Anyway, its a common coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7696 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2012  10:33 am  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can pick up your own scale pretty cheaply on eBay.
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1330 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2012  1:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eddio to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you I'm just going throught this album of coins left for me by a family member as I get educated I will try to leave commom coins out. Thanks
Pillar of the Community
United States
3268 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2012  1:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add upstate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well ya got to save at least one of them. The hole for my '82 small date copper is still empty.
'gasp' I hope I don't have to buy one
Pillar of the Community
United States
2760 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2012  3:47 pm  Show Profile   Check SA4H's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SA4H to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
By the look of the coin's surface, I am 99% sure that it's not made of zinc. It's a copper cent. The plating technology of the mint back then was horrible.... just find any 83 to 86 cent (zinc) and compare for yourself.
'Pytellc': I am still waiting for my $50 world coins from you, Mr. Carson Pytell!

*+*Bruce*+*
My coins available for trade. - My coins for sale - Coins I want/need.
"Living to Learn, Not Learning to Live!"
Yet, I'm learning to live more than living to learn!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3268 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2012  3:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add upstate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My guess would be it's copper by looking at it also but who knows
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16491 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2012  5:34 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The hole for my '82 small date copper is still empty.

That's the toughest coin of the 82's! You can find circ examples now and then, but finding them in MS red is hard. You'll most likely end up buying one.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16491 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2012  5:35 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
i was told by my local guy this one is a zinc Pennie,he used a scale..

What did it weigh? Sure looks like a copper to me.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19337 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2012  6:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Balance a popscicle stick on a pencil. Place your cent on one end. Place a pre 82 on the other far end. If they balance, both are Copper.
just carl
United States
35 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2012  9:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stvsy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For the 1982 cent copper/zinc test I gently drop them from 2", flat side on a granite or ceramic table top. The copper rings out, the zinc a dull splat.

With my old Morgan and Peace silver dollars I balance one with my finger tip in the center. I take another and gently tap edge to edge. Rings out like silver bells.
Try it, you'll like it.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1330 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2012  12:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eddio to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ok you guys are right its a copper I dropped then use the Popsicle method its copper,thanks guys,,,,,,,,
Pillar of the Community
United States
3640 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2012  12:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Indian1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the 82-P SD zinc. is a tad scarcer the the copper.
Both are tough though to find in BU. The zincs will be even
tougher down the road as they are zincs :)
Doesn't hurt to put a full roll together of red Unc's
either ones for the future.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7696 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2012  1:05 pm  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I cheated and bought a card containing all 7 of the 82's. All in excellent condition.
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Valued Member
United States
359 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2012  12:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ngs428 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The hole for my '82 small date copper is still empty.

I was beginning to think that the 1982 SD Copper did not exist.. I still haven't found one.. I guess I need to forge on to find one..
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 2,238Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.88 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05