Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Thanksgiving-the Cornucopia- The Horn Of Plenty

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
5155 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2012  12:00 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Ancientnoob to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
In the spirit of Thanksgiving- we all should be thankful we are in a place in our lives where we can enjoy the hobby of coins, and be able to share them with our friends, collectors, and numismatists from around the world, those who truly love them, as we do.

The Cornucopia- The Horn of Plenty

The iconic cornucopia, the horn of plenty is symbol of Thanksgiving in here in United States, and a continued symbol in Western Art. The origins of which are deeply rooted in antiquity.

Classical mythology offers multiple explanations of the origin of the cornucopia. One of the best-known involves the birth and nurturance of the infant Zeus, who had to be hidden from his devouring father Cronus. In a cave on Mount Ida on the island of Crete, baby Zeus was cared for and protected by a number of divine attendants, including the goat Amalthea ("Nourishing Goddess"), who fed him with her milk. The suckling future king of the gods had unusual abilities and strength, and in playing with his nursemaid accidentally broke off one of her horns, which then had the divine power to provide unending nourishment, as the foster mother had to the god.
In another myth, the cornucopia was created when Heracles (Roman Hercules) wrestled with the river god Achelous and wrenched off one of his horns; river gods were sometimes depicted as horned.
The cornucopia became the attribute of several Greek and Roman deities, particularly those associated with the harvest, prosperity, or spiritual abundance, such as personifications of Earth (Gaia or Terra); the nymph Maia; and Fortuna, the goddess of luck, who had the power to grant prosperity. Another is the goddess of the corn and agriculture, which is Demeter. In Roman Imperial cult, abstract Roman deities who fostered peace (pax Romana) and prosperity were also depicted with a cornucopia, including Abundantia, "Abundance" personified, and Annona, goddess of the grain supply to the city of Rome. Pluto, the classical ruler of the underworld in the mystery religions, was a giver of agricultural, mineral and spiritual wealth, and in art often holds a cornucopia to distinguish him from the gloomier Hades, who holds a drinking horn instead.

Share with us your Cornucopias!
Demetrius I Soter (The Savior) 187-150 BC
AR 29.5mm Tetradrachm, Antioch, Syria (15.17g)
Obverse:Demetrius I
Reverse: Tyche seated left, holding sceptre & cornucopiae; winged Tritoness supporting throne, two monograms to outer left, date in ex.

And Thanks to Wikipedia for laying it all out!
Edited by Ancientnoob
11/22/2012 12:01 pm
Formerly jwharper
4253 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2012  12:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Alexander II Zabinas, struck at Antioch 125-22 BC

Septimius Severus Denarius struck at Emesa 194-5 AD
Edited by Bing
11/22/2012 12:16 pm
Valued Member
Canada
472 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2012  12:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dionysos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Diocletian AE Follis
302-303 AD. Aquileia mint.
Obv.: IMP DIOCLETIANVS P F AVG - Laureate head of Diocletian.
Rev.: SACR MONET AVGG ET CAESS NOSTR - Moneta holding scales and cornucopiae. AQP in ex. VI in r. field.
RIC 35a

Pisidia, Selge AR Stater
(325-250 BC)
Obv.: Two wrestlers grappling; B-H-" across field.
Rev.: Slinger standing right; K between legs, triskeles, club, and filleted cornucopia to right.
SNG France 1944.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1316 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2012  12:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eng5858 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Here's my coin with Cornucopia..

Juila Mamaea..222-235. AD.

Mother of Severs Alexander..
Ob. Julia Mamaea bust right..
Rev. Fecunditas standing left..
20mm x 3.75g..
No bronze made for this coin, we think its a limes struck coin..

Pillar of the Community
United States
4778 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2012  12:31 pm  Show Profile   Check VisigothKing's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add VisigothKing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's two of my coins depicting cornucopiae:

Nerva

Constantius I

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
"For as long as Belisarius lives, it is impossible for him to relinquish this city." - Roman general Belisarius, responding to a group of Gothic envoys, during the Gothic siege of Rome in 537 AD

Attributed coins in my collection so far - Roman: 241, Byzantine: 44, Post-Roman Germanic: 24
Edited by VisigothKing
11/22/2012 12:31 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1284 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2012  1:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Doucet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Happy Thanksgiving my friends.

Learn More...
United States
22890 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2012  1:30 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Happy Thanksgiving all.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1722 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2012  1:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maridvnvm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have more that 100 cornucopiae to choose from!! I am shocked.

Septimius Severus - Fortuna with two cornucopiae

Calabria, Taras, Nomos (This cornucopia could get wet)

Demetrios I Soter, tetradrachm

We don't do thanksgiving here but have a good one on our behalf....

Martin
Bedrock of the Community
10045 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2012  2:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow...some excellent coins! I have no cornucopia--but happy Thanksgiving!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5155 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2012  2:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ancientnoob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am glad my topic took off! Keep'em comming guys!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2464 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2012  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DavidUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Hadrian AR Denarius. AD 119-22. IMP CAESAR TRAIAN HADRIANVS AVG, laureate bust right, draped left shoulder / P M TR P COS III, Felicitas standing left, holding caduceus and cornucopiae. RIC 83. 3.13g, 20mm, 6h.
Very Fine.

Happy thanks giving to those across the pond!

For those this side of the pond is anyone going to the London coin fair on 1st December? If so drop me a PM.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3229 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2012  3:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TJsCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Happy thanksgiving to all of you and your loved ones!:)
Pillar of the Community
United States
4732 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2012  7:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chrsmat71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hey, I do have one...

Maximinus II, AE follis. Siscia. 311 AD.
IMP MAXIMINVS PF AVG, laureate head right GENIO AV-GVSTI, Genius standing left, modius on head, naked but for chlamys over left shoulder, holding patera and cornucopiae.
RIC VI Siscia 207c

Pillar of the Community
United States
5155 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2014  08:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ancientnoob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Holiday Bump.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3626 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2014  10:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pishpash to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.
Titus
http://www.tantaluscoins.com/coins/107214.php
Pillar of the Community
United States
4732 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2014  10:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chrsmat71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
lol! I didn't notice this was a two year old thread till I saw my post at the bottom! well, I've acquired a few more cornucopias since 2012...which I'm thankfull for.

tyche/fortuna with a conrucopia on reverse, julia domna and caracalla obveres...

fortuna again...with gordian iii this time.

hope everyone has a great thanksgiving, you live.

Edited by chrsmat71
11/27/2014 10:22 am
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.79 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05