Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

take apart a mint set?

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

United States
31 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2012  6:38 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add frankthetank to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm tempted to rip apart a few mint sets I have just to take what I want and get rid of the rest... Smart? Stupid? Doesn't matter? I have some of the older sets in sealed plastic that came (or at least the ones I bought) in an envelope.
Learn More...
United States
13273 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2012  6:47 pm  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
pulling coins from mint sets is done fairly often ( that's how I do it ).
<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating Two Dollar Bills
Edited by Fuzzy317
12/05/2012 9:30 pm
United States
31 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2012  6:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add frankthetank to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Example... '61 set of mine.

Ripe for the picking!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1005 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2012  7:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bm0ney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cut now ask questions later.

The coins you are going sell will go easier if still in the mint sealed film like in the photo.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1425 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2012  7:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dave H to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nothing wrong w/ taking what you want out of the set. As Fuzzy317 said, many people disassemble them for their own collections, and to sell the coins individually. Go for it...
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10901 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2012  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As long as it isn't a set from the mid to early 50s or earlier cut away. I do it all the time for albums and as you can see most of us seem to fall into that category
Pillar of the Community
United States
2651 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2012  7:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jayman931 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Go ahead...it makes my mint sets worth more! :)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1299 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2012  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cc99999 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've destroyed thousands of mint and proof sets. ;)
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1005 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2012  7:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bm0ney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Canada post sells the collector coins and uncirculated sets. The woman I deal with at the post office for shipping eBay sales and occasionally buying coins from the display cabinet was shocked to hear I was going to cut up my new 2012 uncirculated set I just bought.
Her jaw nearly hit the floor as I told her that I set a large garbage bag of mint packaging out at the curb for the garbage man.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1594 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2012  9:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Canada post sells the collector coins and uncirculated sets. The woman I deal with at the post office for shipping eBay sales and occasionally buying coins from the display cabinet was shocked to hear I was going to cut up my new 2012 uncirculated set I just bought.
Her jaw nearly hit the floor as I told her that I set a large garbage bag of mint packaging out at the curb for the garbage man.

There's a wholesaler in this country who fills two large dumpters per week. Most of the mint set coins after 1965 are worth more as singles than as part of a mint set. This causes a lot of destruction and is caused by the unwillingness of many collectors to cut sets.
Time don't fly, it bounds and leaps.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2073 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2012  11:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OldSkoolMadSkilz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Many are worth more broken up, but certain denominations have much lower demand than others.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1594 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2012  12:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Many are worth more broken up, but certain denominations have much lower demand than others.

Yes. Indeed, many of the coins have so little premium that they end up going into circulation. Even a lot of the premium coins go into circulation because they are not chBU. You can't really sell even a better date like a '76-D t II Ike if it's extremely unattractive and nearly a quarter of this date will have horrendous flaws.
Valued Member
Canada
107 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2012  10:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Shannoxt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have been debating the same thing with my extra 2012 silver proof sets commemorating the anniversary of the war of 1812 with select gold plating which was released by the RCM. The price of these sets has languished on the secondary market (much to my dismay) and I'm not sure what the best way will be to get my money out of them (and hopefully make a few bucks). Should I just hang on to these as complete sets and hope for the best or will the interest in these just continue to decline? Will I be better off breaking these apart and selling them individually? I know the pennies from these sets have quite a bit of interest since it is the last year of the Canadian penny. Anyone have any suggestions?
Edited by Shannoxt
12/06/2012 10:51 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1594 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2012  1:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you have only one or a few sets and don't want any coins out of them it's probably a lot easier to just sell the set intact and take your loss than to seek out buyers for each coin. But if you want any of the coins your set will prove the cheapest source for it. If you have a lot of sets it's much easier to find buyers for the parts than for just the parts of a single set.
Valued Member
United States
112 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2012  1:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Vesper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How little or badly do US mint coins age in the plastic? Is it risky to leave the coins in-plastic if I plan to hold them fore long term?

Pillar of the Community
United States
1594 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2012  1:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How little or badly do US mint coins age in the plastic? Is it risky to leave the coins in-plastic if I plan to hold them fore long term?

I wouldn't trust the packaging on any pre-1985 US mint sets in pliofimm. The 1969, 1968, and 1970 are especially bad. Post-'84 packaging appears to be very stable.
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.16 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05